Windows 10: What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10

Discus and support What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running short of space on my Windows 10 64 bit PC. I carried out a clean install of windows 10 approx 2 months ago. I have a 256 SSD with 16 GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Agh55, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Agh55 Win User

What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10

Hi, I'm running short of space on my Windows 10 64 bit PC. I carried out a clean install of windows 10 approx 2 months ago. I have a 256 SSD with 16 GB Ram and the page size is set at 25466 MB. Is this too big.
    I also run Disk clean-up and then system files, and it showed up 6GB under Windows update clean-up, can this be deleted.

:)

Agh55, Apr 1, 2020

2. What is the recommended Page File Size

Hello Khaled,

We understand that you would like to know about the page file size in Windows 10. We will assist you with your query.

Paging files are essential files that Windows uses like Random Access Memory and hence needed for virtual memory. The paging files are by default stored in the drive where you have installed Windows. It is not recommended to delete
    the paging files, as it will result in poor system performance.

There is particular page size recommended by Microsoft, however it is advised not to keep the Page file size too high as it may result in low performance of the system.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Jetster Win User
    Page file size?

Deleting it is fine, but keep in mind if you delete your page file a memory dump has no where to go and will be deleted. Not a big deal but just FYI. Really there is nothing to gain by deleting a page file. Except for the physical space. Windows set your page file the same size as your ram for a reason. So suggesting you should delete it if you have 16+ Gb ram and wont need it is inaccurate. You can also recover Data on a BSOD if you have the dump file

"Microsoft says that, when the page file is set to a system-managed size and the computer is configured for automatic memory dumps, “Windows sets the size of the paging file large enough to ensure that a kernel memory dump can be captured most of the time.” As Microsoft points out, crash dumps are an important consideration when deciding what size the page file should be. The page file must be large enough to contain the memory data."

http://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

Jetster, Apr 1, 2020
  4. What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10

What is the recommended Page File Size

Original title:
    Page File Size

Hello. Im using windows 10 and have a 4gb ram.

For the sake of slow performance of windows 10 ( which is a common problem ) , and as recommended to have a page file size set on , im wondering what should be the page file size , and if there is a problem
    with the values that i just set on after figuring out .

My hdd is 500 gb , 2 partitions C and D : ; C: 448 gb , D: 15.4gb

My page file size is 4096-6144 on C ; 1024-2048 on D .

Is there a problem with this too much size of page file taking to consideration the 4gb physical ram .. Though im very pleased with my laptop performance now , but im wondering if this might hurt or have
    any consequences in the future . Im totally opened to any further recommendations .

Best regards

Khaled Maarouf, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10

1. What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - recommended Page File

2. What should I set the paging file size in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What should I set the paging file size in Windows 10?: I saw many articles on internet where it says if the paging file size is set to Automatic then windows can slow down my computer when it's dynamically changing paging file size. Is it true? What is the best setting for my computer in 2022? I have 8GB RAM & 250 GB m.2 SSD....
  3. What should I set the paging file size in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should I set the paging file size in Windows 10?: I saw many articles on internet where it says if the paging file size is set to Automatic then windows can slow down my computer when it's dynamically changing paging file size. Is it true? What is the best setting for my computer in 2022? I have 8GB RAM & 250 GB m.2 SSD....
  4. What should I set the paging file size in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Tweaking page file size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweaking page file size: With 32gb ram running win10 mostly for games, what is the best page file size setting ? Should i leave it at default, increase it or disable it ? 181333
  6. Paging file size in windows 10 for 4GB RAM.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Paging file size in windows 10 for 4GB RAM.: Hi, What will happen if I exceed recommended paging file size in windows 10 ? Will it cause harm to my pc ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paging-file-size-in-windows-10-for-4gb-ram/abc100de-06c5-42b8-a3d1-0aa8d6bc59c7
  7. What is the best Page File size for 64-bit versions of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    What is the best Page File size for 64-bit versions of Windows 10?: [ATTACH]64-bit versions of Windows and Windows Server support more physical memory (RAM) than 32-bit […] This article What is the best Page File size for 64-bit versions of Windows 10? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. What's the optimal page file size on a 16GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the optimal page file size on a 16GB RAM?: Hi! What's the optimal page file size to allocate on a 16GB RAM? I'm more into gaming and I read a lot of stuff about increasing the page file size to prevent crashes but really don't know it's functions. Some say set the minimum and maximum to 16GB but I noticed I lose those...
  9. Paging file - what's the difference between "Automatically manage paging file size for all...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Paging file - what's the difference between "Automatically manage paging file size for all...: And does the operating system treat them as two different settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paging-file-whats-the-difference-between/6c908f7e-0b3c-4ec8-a554-0c65c856d438
  10. RECOMMENDED PAGE FILE SIZE FOR 4GB RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RECOMMENDED PAGE FILE SIZE FOR 4GB RAM: Anyone point me in the right direction on a read about this please. TY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recommended-page-file-size-for-4gb-ram/3c3bc12e-71fe-4447-a87b-046de76fbfb3