Windows 10: what is the secret for installing a .cab file in Win 10?

Discus and support what is the secret for installing a .cab file in Win 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I am one of the select few who hasn't been able to install any of the last three Cumulative Updates for Win 10, Version 1607. When KB3197356 was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 2harts4ever, Oct 7, 2016.

1. what is the secret for installing a .cab file in Win 10?

Hi,

I am one of the select few who hasn't been able to install any of the last three Cumulative Updates for Win 10, Version 1607. When KB3197356 was announced I decided to try my luck with it. This time I downloaded it as a .cab file.

Now I am at a complete loss as what to do next. Right now it is on my 'C' Drive, in my Downloads folder, in the form of a zip file and I don't have a clue what I should do next.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,

:)

2harts4ever, Oct 7, 2016
  2. grschinon Win User

Installing a CAB file

CAB files are compressed archives used in Windows. I'm guessing the application you just tried to download is for Windows Mobile, not for Symbian, which means that you can't install it on your phone.

If there is a Symbian version, it'll be in the form of a .sis or .sisx file, not .cab.

grschinon, Oct 7, 2016
  3. guruyaya Win User
    Installing a CAB file

That would be my guess to. Yet this is the link they gave for N97... Oh... I ofcourse downloaded the cab file using my FireFox on windows... Therefor.... Yep... I'm stupid.

I'd contact the application provider, but oddly, they have no way of contacting them on the website, unless you're registered, but I cannot find the registration link either.

Thanks anyway.

guruyaya, Oct 7, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

what is the secret for installing a .cab file in Win 10?

Brink, Oct 7, 2016
  5. Hi Brink,

I tried that about an hour ago and I have no idea if it worked or not. When I would right click on the zip file I didn't see the 'install' option?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Oct 7, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You would need to right click on the .cab file instead. It would be best to extract (drag and drop) the .cab file from within the .zip first though.

See also: How to Install a CAB File in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 7, 2016
  7. Hi Brink,

I think this working with .cab files is over my 74-year-old head. I had better quit before I 'fry' my Registry. Like I said before I tried adding the 'install' option with your Tutorial shortcut but I really have no idea if I accomplished it or not.

I appreciate your help but no use wasting any more of your time. I will just have to hope that Microsoft gets a 'working' Cumulative Update to me soon.

One final question: since I used that shortcut to add 'install' to the context menu is it going to hurt anything to just let it be? And/or is there a key I can check in the Registry to see if I even managed to get it into the registry in the first place?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

what is the secret for installing a .cab file in Win 10?

1. what is the secret for installing a .cab file in Win 10? - Similar Threads - secret installing cab

2. What are these .cab files in my C: drive for?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are these .cab files in my C: drive for?: Hello,I am curious as to what these .cab files are doing in my C: drive. I heard they were updates, but it says that these were modified last in 2019!I can assure you these files popped up only recently. I have not even owned this computer for that long, I'm pretty sure.If...
  3. DirectX installing CAB file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DirectX installing CAB file: Hello. My name is Nicat. When I want to open and download directX dxwebsetup.exe then i recive a pop up.How i can fix this problem? I found the directX packaxe and i will opened it and extrat it. But i can't fix this. Extract- "C: > New > DirectX...
  4. DirectX installing CAB file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DirectX installing CAB file: Hello. My name is Nicat. When I want to open and download directX dxwebsetup.exe then i recive a pop up.How i can fix this problem? I found the directX packaxe and i will opened it and extrat it. But i can't fix this. Extract- "C: > New > DirectX...
  5. ,cab file

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ,cab file: need to install a .cab file for an older printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cab-file/5e3b9f70-41a5-4288-9bf1-298ccd4b0e80
  6. *.cab files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    *.cab files: Hi, Is it safe to delete those files? Same dating from 2009. Best regards. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cab-files/7767cf26-5992-42bf-b29a-ac3a4a144362
  7. Installing update cab file

in Windows 10 Support
    Installing update cab file: Hello, I am trying to install an update in .cab format, "KB4519337". Searched the net how to install such update, and whatever I did, the answer was an error "could not find or open the file". Renamed the file's name to be a short name, copies it to C folder, always could not...
  8. What are CAB files and how to create or install them on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What are CAB files and how to create or install them on Windows 10: [ATTACH] CAB or Cabinet files are compressed files that store data related to various system based installations on a Windows PC. These can also be related to the updates to the OS as well as a driver update. The compression here [...] This post What are CAB files and how to...
  9. Windows 10 update cab file Installer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update cab file Installer.: Problems with Windows 10 Updates are an ongoing issue now. and the possible solution to overcome this is by downloading the updates manually from the Microsoft®Update Catalog or using tools like WHDownloader (formerly Windows Hotfix Downloader) The issue is that some...
  10. Install CAB file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install CAB file in Windows 10: How to: Install CAB file in Windows 10 How to Install a CAB File in Windows 10 A cabinet is a single file, usually with a .cab extension, that stores compressed files in a file library. Some Windows 10 updates are redistributed in the .cab archive format. You can use...