Windows 10: What is the setupplatform.dll file used for in the Windows 10 Update

Discus and support What is the setupplatform.dll file used for in the Windows 10 Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We've seen hundreds of instances of files with the name "setupplatform.dll" being loaded by SetupHost.exe in the Windows 10 Update process, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zigshanklin, Feb 12, 2020.

1. What is the setupplatform.dll file used for in the Windows 10 Update

We've seen hundreds of instances of files with the name "setupplatform.dll" being loaded by SetupHost.exe in the Windows 10 Update process, but the "setupplatform.dll" file is reportedly an MP3 file when analyzed by VirusTotal.com and JoeSandbox.com.

We are concerned about trusting an unsigned DLL that when analyzed is purportedly just an MP3 file in DLL "clothing".

Can anyone at Microsoft explain why this "setupplatform.dll" is an being reported as an MP3 file and why would SetupHost.exe load it during a Windows 10 Update???

thanks...zig

Link to this file on VirusTotal.com

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...8b13414b6e70c8fb0a8f5bebc0afe288b00e8/details

Link to this file on JoeSandbox.com

https://www.joesandbox.com/analysis/206973/0/html

:)

zigshanklin, Feb 12, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 12, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 12, 2020
  4. What is the setupplatform.dll file used for in the Windows 10 Update

Missing .dll file .

Hi,

I suggest that you perform the steps below and check if it helps resolve the issue.

• Uninstall all those apps (using revo uninstaller) which are giving you msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll files missing error
    • Open the link below
    Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4 from Official Microsoft Download Center

And download and install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4.

3. Download VSU_4\vcredist_x64.exe if you’ll be installing this on Windows 10 64bit.

4. Download VSU_4\vcredist_x86.exe if you’ll be installing this on Windows 10 32bit.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

What is the setupplatform.dll file used for in the Windows 10 Update

1. What is the setupplatform.dll file used for in the Windows 10 Update - Similar Threads - setupplatform dll file

2. missing .DLL files for Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    missing .DLL files for Windows 10 Update: I'm missing 3 .dll files for Windows Update wuwebv.dll, wuaueng.dll, wucltux.dll I have ran sfc /scannow and the DISM image check and repair and they do not help. i am unable to update windows 10. i feel like if i could put those 3 .dll files in the system32 folder i might be...
  3. missing .DLL files for Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    missing .DLL files for Windows 10 Update: I'm missing 3 .dll files for Windows Update wuwebv.dll, wuaueng.dll, wucltux.dll I have ran sfc /scannow and the DISM image check and repair and they do not help. i am unable to update windows 10. i feel like if i could put those 3 .dll files in the system32 folder i might be...
  4. missing .DLL files for Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 blocking dll files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 blocking dll files: Hi, I`m trying to use a software called Reaper to edit videos. In order to use ffmpeg, I need to put some dll files inside a user plugins folder. I tried this in another machine (running windows 8.1) and it works fine. But in my Windows 10 machine Reaper simply doesn`t load...
  6. WINDOWS ERROR IN UPDATE AND DLL FILES

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WINDOWS ERROR IN UPDATE AND DLL FILES: If you observe the picture carefully you can see that, there is no WINDOWS UPDATE SERVICE and even inREGISTRY EDITOR there is no WINDOWS UPDATE FILE. How can i fix these please? i can't update my computer. And also there is an error on START-UP CHECK LIBRARY.dll every time...
  7. comctl32.dll file problem it says update this dll file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    comctl32.dll file problem it says update this dll file: how to update comctl32.dll file in windows 10 i can't fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/comctl32dll-file-problem-it-says-update-this-dll/03c776d0-2da6-4ae4-a58d-10bbc466d9c5
  8. Missing DLL file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing DLL file in Windows 10: After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, every time I boot up my PC, I get an error message about a missing DLL file called C:\Windows\System32\LogiLDA.dll. How do I fix this? Thanks....
  9. fix DLL files windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    fix DLL files windows 10: fix DLL files in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/fix-dll-files-windows-10/a4f0b657-a79d-47cb-9ad7-2244d10a5f58
  10. Missing Windows 10 dll files

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Windows 10 dll files: I have 3 missing windows 10 dll files Wow64.dll Wow64cpu.dll Wow64win.dll I used the media creation tool to create an ISO of the exact version of windows I have (windows 10 pro) and searched the file for these dll files, including the install.wim and boot.wim. Does anyone...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is wow64_microsoft-windows-d..iders-setupplatform