Windows 10: What is the source of the 10016 error? How to trace the origin?

Discus and support What is the source of the 10016 error? How to trace the origin? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm having an issue where i have a few hundred DCOM errors appear in the event viewer over the course of a day: The application-specific permission... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChromeBallz, May 29, 2020.

1. What is the source of the 10016 error? How to trace the origin?

I'm having an issue where i have a few hundred DCOM errors appear in the event viewer over the course of a day:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    to the user PCNAME\username SID S-1-5-XX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX from address LocalHost Using LRPC running in the application container Unavailable SID Unavailable. This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I've found many sources which claim the errors are benign and can be ignored, but i found other logs that indicate 'duplicate logging was disabled for 86400 seconds' which would indicate that there would be a hell of a lot more errors like these if they weren't truncated.

The problem is that the PerAppRuntimebroker application is trying to do something, but my user does not have the correct permissions to do so. When checking component services, i see an 'Account Unknown' in the permissions as well, whose SID does not exist on my system. I could do the whole 'take ownership' thing via regedit and add the permissions for the app to run via my user account found some mentions on how to do that, but that would just fix the error and not tell me why the error is actually occuring.

I'd rather find out what is actually calling that function, and what it is trying to do exactly. How do i trace the origin of this call and fix the problem at the root?

:)

ChromeBallz, May 29, 2020
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Windows 10 Event ID 10010 and 10016 Errors With DistributedCOM

To solve the 131 event error, make this change to registry. In essence the redirect (FWLINK) gets broken.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; 4:54 AM 7/1/2015
    ; This fix prevents Metedata 131 errors
    ; original entry is "DeviceMetadataServiceURL"="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=252669&clcid=0x409"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata]
    "DeviceMetadataServiceURL"="http://dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com/dms/metadata.svc"

Correct_METADATA_URL - Use this to fix event log error.zip

The explanation is in this thread on Eightforums... Continues Errors at startup - Page 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To fix the CAP12 error, refer to this link: Error source CAPI2 id 513 - Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object

This is the part that needs to be done: In Admin CMD line, NOT Powershell!!

Read the link carefully and do step #4. When you copy the set command, do not use any extra spaces.

---> DO THIS IN ADMIN CMD LINE!! NOT POWERSHELL!!! <---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To fix the 10016 errors, here are two (2) links with accurate steps. Follow the steps in sequence. You MUST have admin privileges.

Solved Numerous event id 10016 errors win 8 pro 64 bit

Event ID 10016, DistributedCOM: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application (2) - Share iT

f14tomcat, May 29, 2020
  3. How to fix error 10016

Is their any software on the market for sell that will correct 10016 errors? The manual fix is complex.

[Original Title: 10016]

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

William McKenzie1966, May 29, 2020
  4. Eagle51 Win User

What is the source of the 10016 error? How to trace the origin?

Event ID 10016

Solved Numerous event id 10016 errors win 8 pro 64 bit

Here is the basic outline ...

1. Search the registry for the CLSID
    2. Make note of the Default Value, which is the name (ex. ShellExperienceHost, RuntimeBroker) you're going to look for in DCOM
    3. Change the Owner to Administrators
    4. Give Administrators Full Control
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the APPID
    6. WinKey + s > type in component services > click on Component Services in list
    7. Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config
    8. Change the View to Details
    9. Find the name from step 2 (ex. ShellExperienceHost, RuntimeBroker)
    10. Right Click on the Name > Properties
    11. Select the Security Tab
    12. Launch & Activation Permissions > Click Edit
    13. Look for the offending user from the 10016 (ex. System, Local Service) and make sure it has the activation requested (ex. Local Activation). If the offending user does NOT exist, you have to add it and give it Local Launch and Local Activation
    14. Click Apply
    15. Close DCOM and Regedit
    16. Reboot PC

Note: Make sure you understand the steps before doing them What is the source of the 10016 error? How to trace the origin? :)

Eagle51, May 29, 2020
Thema:

What is the source of the 10016 error? How to trace the origin?

1. What is the source of the 10016 error? How to trace the origin? - Similar Threads - source 10016 error

2. Cut, paste and find traces of the original file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cut, paste and find traces of the original file: If I have cut a file from its original folder and pasted it on an external hard drive, do traces of the file remain in the original folder? If so, how does one find the traces?...
  3. Cut, paste and find traces of the original file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cut, paste and find traces of the original file: If I have cut a file from its original folder and pasted it on an external hard drive, do traces of the file remain in the original folder? If so, how does one find the traces?...
  4. Cut, paste and find traces of the original file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. DCOM error 10016 on Steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM error 10016 on Steam: So I have noticed that launching Steam now gives the error too now just like Google Chrome. I look in the past and the letters in the DCOM error are a little different than chrome but it still happens the same. Sigh Windows 10.... *Doh 111585
  6. Error 10016 in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error 10016 in Event Viewer: I have a ton of these errors showing in event viewer, I'm really not sure what I need to do to correct this and was hoping somebody here could guide me through the process especially if I need to change something in the registry... The application-specific permission...
  7. Error 10016 in Event Viewer

Error 10016 in Event Viewer: Hello. I keep having Errors 10016 involving DCOM in Event Log. Even when I set correct permissions with the Regedit and DCOM administrative console regarding the CLSID and APPID, those errors keep appearing with a different item each time a few days later. So I was...
  8. Event Viewer Error 10016 - What should I do?

Event Viewer Error 10016 - What should I do?: Following Clean Install of Windows 10 I ran Event Viewer and Error 10016 appeared *Sad - description said Application-specific settings do not grant Local Activation permission for APPID 4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D. What did I do wrong? What should I do to...
  9. DCOM error 10016

DCOM error 10016: I'm told this is a rather common error after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I have read many posts and suggested solutions, but I still get the error in the System Event Log when starting up. I suppose I could ignore it, as there does not appear to be any ill...
  10. Event id 10016

in Windows 10 Support
    Event id 10016: I, like many other Win10 users, am getting a lot of DCOM Eventid 10016 events logged. I've seen a number of explanations (which I haven't understood) and several solutions. However, I have not seen a clear description of what requests are failing and what the result of the...