Windows 10: What is the status of System Restore?

Discus and support What is the status of System Restore? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am curious what Microsoft's position is on System Restore. Since they turn it off every time we upgrade to a new build, are they trying to tell us... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MrMikeH, Mar 7, 2020.

1. MrMikeH Win User

What is the status of System Restore?

I am curious what Microsoft's position is on System Restore. Since they turn it off every time we upgrade to a new build, are they trying to tell us something. I know you have to turn it back on after every upgrade, but I am wondering why they turn it off rather than just deleting the restore points.

A regular user probably doesn't know it gets turned off each time they install one of the spring/fall updates and that makes it pretty useless for them. One of the reasons I am asking this question is because I had a family member lose his whole machine because he was depending on System Restore to save him. I told him he should be doing regular backups in addition to System Restore, but you know how that goes.

Any information would be appreciated.

:)

MrMikeH, Mar 7, 2020

2. System Restore Error 0x81000203

Good day,

We can see here that you are having issues performing system restore on your computer. Having said that, we need to determine the cause of this problem. Before we proceed, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to perform system restore? If so, can you send us a screenshot?
      Note: Please do not include any personal information.
    • Have you performed all the suggested troubleshooting steps found on this thread?

Desiree Yau, Mar 7, 2020
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Missing icons / buttons after System Restore

Hi Terrie,

To address your concern, we suggest that you try to undo the restore or pick another restore point.

Please follow these steps to access system restore:

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Mar 7, 2020
  4. What is the status of System Restore?

system restore

Hello,

I suggest you perform the following suggestions to resolve this issue:

Step 1:

1. Click "Start", type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and press Enter.

2. Double click the service "Volume Shadow Copy Service".

3. Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service.

Step 2: Run sfc /scannow to check your system.

Step 3: Go to %windir%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore

In that directory, rename SR to SR.sav

Try to create the manual restore point again.

Let us know if this helps!

Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

What is the status of System Restore?

1. What is the status of System Restore? - Similar Threads - status System Restore

2. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the use of System Restore?: What is the use of system restore? What are the benefits? And is it worth creating a restore point? I read that disabling it may increase the performance of my SSD....
  3. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the use of System Restore?: What is the use of system restore? What are the benefits? And is it worth creating a restore point? I read that disabling it may increase the performance of my SSD....
  4. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. what is a reasonable size for system restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    what is a reasonable size for system restore?: This a generic question; so, the only relevant specs are: Windows 10 Pro x64 w/ 128GB SSD Windows Home x64 w/ 256GB SSD I am accustomed to much larger C drives where System Restore size is not relevant. If I did my research properly, an individual restore point requires...
  6. System Restore - What is this folder ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore - What is this folder ?: and how do I remove from Available Drives list ? Just did a Repair Install and this mystery folder shows up now. Wasn't there before, or ever. TIA. [img] 145837
  7. System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive

System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive: I've seen a lot of unusual problems over the past few decades, but this one is new. A Windows 10 system that will not boot, has restore points, but on selecting one, I get a status claiming that "you must enable system protection on this drive". This isn't an error once...
  8. What Is The Status of KB4490481?

What Is The Status of KB4490481?: Could someone tell me if KB4490481 has been fixed or are we supposed to not install it. I put all my updates on hold in the first week of April because I tried twice to download it and it gave me problems (It downloaded but gave me problems after I installed.) It's been so...
  9. restoring an account to administrator status

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    restoring an account to administrator status: I was constantly getting messages saying that I could not save letters etc in documents as I needed administrator approval despite my account being an administrator account. How can I restore to be an administrator....
  10. What is the status of DLNA?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the status of DLNA?: In Windows 10 the Libraries are hidden by default and the DLNA Server is off by default ("Turn On Media Streaming"). It is as if Microsoft is moving away from DLNA. Is this because of fears associated with copyright and Digital Rights Management issues? Or is DLNA a...