Windows 10: What is the swap partition?

Discus and support What is the swap partition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When installing Windows 10, 8 or 7 they say that they will create a swap partition. What does this partition exactly? I would think that it is like the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Catizero, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Catizero Win User

What is the swap partition?

When installing Windows 10, 8 or 7 they say that they will create a swap partition. What does this partition exactly? I would think that it is like the page file, a space that Windows uses when he runs out of RAM, but Windows also creates automatically the page file so then... Both do the same? What is the difference?

:)

Catizero, Feb 7, 2017

2. What is swap phone?

@Chriso89

As Lumia 800 relatively new device it is likely to be a new one, but as returned ones are repaired these will join the "pool" as only warranty obligation is to provide you with a working device of commensurate value not even of the same colour. With Symbian
    devices "global swap" versions can have distinct product codes which can sometimes be overlooked when software updates are released, but doubt that this appertains to Windows OS devices.

aspergerguy, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Chriso89 Win User
    What is swap phone?

Thanks. Think i got a norwegian swap. This is the service text

800 RM-801 NO CV MBLACK SWAP PACK

NO = norwegian so i hope i get the upate when i get it next week. All the models in my country have gotten the update so i hope for the best. Ig not i have to send it in to service on each update...

But it is new glass and cover and battery on the swaps?

Chriso89, Feb 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Not something I'm familiar with- nor is it an option I've seen in a normal installation of Windows. Sure you can find references to creating a dedicated swap partition for a page file but that's something you'd have to do manually - if there was any real justification for doing so. Certainly installing Win 7-10 doesn't create such a partition.

Can you quote a reference- where have you read this?

dalchina, Feb 7, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Never known windows create that and have installed 1,000s it creates a system parition which it boot from a swap parition is normal for linux

Samuria, Feb 7, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    A standard Windows install creates C:\pagefile.sys (which is the page file and is used like a swap file in other OS) and since Windows 8 a much smaller C:\swapfile.sys which is used by universal apps. Neither are separate partitions - they are just files in the root of the C partition.

Hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys & the New Swapfile.sys file - Windows

lx07, Feb 7, 2017
  7. Catizero Win User
    Sorry, I confused the system partition and I thought it was a swap partition...

Thanks for your answers

Catizero, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the swap partition? - Similar Threads - swap partition

2. change default keyboard behaviour; swap shift+[ & [

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change default keyboard behaviour; swap shift+[ & [: So I have tried using Powertoys, can't get it to properly swap [ & {. Have tried remapping, but no matter the settings it just won't work. I can change one or the other, but not both together. I want to swap the keyboard behaviour for these 2.How can I change the default...
  3. change default keyboard behaviour; swap shift+[ & [

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change default keyboard behaviour; swap shift+[ & [: So I have tried using Powertoys, can't get it to properly swap [ & {. Have tried remapping, but no matter the settings it just won't work. I can change one or the other, but not both together. I want to swap the keyboard behaviour for these 2.How can I change the default...
  4. PC Wont Turn Until Power Cord Swapped

PC Wont Turn Until Power Cord Swapped: Okay So I Came across a Observation and I dont Know If that is a Expected Behaviour or a Fault So Im Asking the Community as i didnt find any Such article Over Internet So Sometimes When Theres a Power Cut While PC Was Turned on I Dont Have UPS. Next time I would turn On...
  5. How do I properly swap my system boot partition to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I properly swap my system boot partition to my SSD?: For a while now I've been having a lot of blue screens of death on my PC. At first I thought it was due to the loose cables connecting to the power supply unit since after getting a BSOD the pc would just turn on and off, or the dust build-up so I ended up giving the entire...
  6. How do I properly swap my system boot partition to my SSD?

How do I properly swap my system boot partition to my SSD?: For a while now I've been having a lot of blue screens of death on my PC. At first I thought it was due to the loose cables connecting to the power supply unit since after getting a BSOD the pc would just turn on and off, or the dust build-up so I ended up giving the entire...
  7. How do I properly swap my system boot partition to my SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Swap a partition icon for an appropriate one: A HDD with four partitions, shows in File Explorer THIS PC, with a CD icon for the 3rd partition. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons has no entries other than DEFAULT. I could find no other Registry key for DriveIcons....
  9. Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink my system partition despite disabling swap etc.: I am trying to shrink my system partition but Disk Manager only offers a tiny reduction in size due to "unmovable files". I have already disabled swap, hibernate and system protection and rebooted. What else should I do? 78625
  10. 0xc0000225 After partition merge, letters swapped?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    0xc0000225 After partition merge, letters swapped?: After using the EASEUS boot manager to merge some unused partitions of the same disk to my C: drive, Windows reboots an I receive the 0xc0000225 error. I then booted Windows recovery from an USB and went into the CMD. I went on DiskPart and found that the drive letters for...