Windows 10: what is the use of folders (ESD, Recovery and SWSetup)

Discus and support what is the use of folders (ESD, Recovery and SWSetup) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am posting some screenshots of files on my system . I used TreeSize tool to find the space used by files. I want to know which of these files I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sandila, May 31, 2020.

1. sandila Win User

what is the use of folders (ESD, Recovery and SWSetup)

I am posting some screenshots of files on my system . I used TreeSize tool to find the space used by files.

I want to know which of these files I can delete so that I can save space on my laptop.

what is the use of folders (ESD, Recovery and SWSetup) [​IMG]

The s data folder is having virtual machines 700Gb which I use.So not possible to delete them.

I want to gain more space into my laptop.I am not able to understand which files to delete and which not.

what is the use of those files inside ESD ,Microsoft and ,SWSetup,Recovery

I did checked them but I did not had the courage to delete them.

Here is one more screenshot.
    I plan to use this as development machine so I think I had installed so many packages which I don't remember now.
    Code:
    What is the use of folders
    C:\ESD,
    C:\Recovery and
    C:\SWSetup) can they be deleted to get space. What will be the effects post deletion.

:)

sandila, May 31, 2020
  2. nancy3243 Win User

ESD Folder

Someone somewhere should be able to enlighten me with the purpose of this folder. From what little I know it got created from my last force-able download from Windows 10. Somehow many of my normal files disappeared from my C Drive and I am now trying to
    copy and paste from the ESD folder. Windows does not support any help with this and suggested I find a good company to try and fix this horrendous problem.

My simple question is when Windows decides to drop another new installation does it delete the existing files located in my ESD file?

Does it then create new files into an empty ESD folder?

Any help or knowledge would be so appreciated before I go crazy.

nancy3243, May 31, 2020
  3. Karla Alm Win User
    ESD Folder

Hello Nancy,

ESD is an image of the Windows build installed on the PC. Windows uses it for installation and recovery purposes. To help you with your concern, we would like to know what exact directory path of the file/folder that you are referring to.

Thank you.

Karla Alm, May 31, 2020
  4. what is the use of folders (ESD, Recovery and SWSetup)

Missing ESD

Changes are no. They are not in the recycling bin. I have tried to copy a the esd folder to another computer but that bugged out the other computer. Im going to try to create a backup recovery disk and see if the esd files get created. With the esd file
    i can run dism and point dism to the source for correcting corrupt issues. With out that folder i can not fix the issues. So far every time i fixed a computer with dism and point it towards the folder it works and i can get the updates right away. If i don't
    the computer lags months behind. I got computer where the ESD files gone like they just a disappeared. So i want to see what i can do to recovery these ESD for my 1511 images.

JimmyWin10, May 31, 2020
Thema:

what is the use of folders (ESD, Recovery and SWSetup)

1. what is the use of folders (ESD, Recovery and SWSetup) - Similar Threads - folders ESD Recovery

2. ESD Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ESD Folder: Trying to clean up my 1TB hard drive because I'm running out of room! I've moved off all videos, music, documents, photos, and STILL only have 10GB left!!There is a folder entitled "ESD" that contains a 4GB file - ESD>Windows>Sources>install.esdWhat is that for? Do I need it...
  3. ESD Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ESD Folder: Trying to clean up my 1TB hard drive because I'm running out of room! I've moved off all videos, music, documents, photos, and STILL only have 10GB left!!There is a folder entitled "ESD" that contains a 4GB file - ESD>Windows>Sources>install.esdWhat is that for? Do I need it...
  4. ESD Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Esd folder: My pc had some file corruption i did in placment update and after that there some file called esd 4.3 gb what to do it can i deletw it and how pls wirte steps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-folder/6caa51da-61d5-4743-b24f-b97dd3c537b9
  6. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Esd folder: My pc had some file corruption i did in placment update and after that there some file called esd 4.3 gb what to do it can i deletw it and how pls wirte steps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-folder/6caa51da-61d5-4743-b24f-b97dd3c537b9
  7. Esd folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Whats C:\swsetup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats C:\swsetup: What is C:\swsetup and is it safe to delete? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-cswsetup/151822af-ad71-4a2c-9f00-3a3954726533
  9. ESD folder on disk C

in Windows 10 Support
    ESD folder on disk C: Could this folder be used to run a dism restorehealth and if so what would the cmd look like to direct the repair. I just seem not to be able to direct the dism direction, thanks. Oh and it has and install esd in the sources folder. 129392
  10. ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO: I'm confused about the ESD folder. If I install Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool, an ESD folder is created. I understand that this folder should not be deleted if you plan to use the Recovery feature as it includes the files need to reinstall Windows. If I reinstall...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can I move the ESD folder to another drive