Windows 10: What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"...

Discus and support What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I believe starting with Windows 10 perhaps W8 we no longer could "pull" or access RECENT FOLDERS or RECENT FILES within a given application. The result... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sammy888, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Sammy888 Win User

What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"...

I believe starting with Windows 10 perhaps W8 we no longer could "pull" or access RECENT FOLDERS or RECENT FILES within a given application. The result is very time consuming especially if you have many directories.I know for a fact with W7 I could be working in a random app and I would select "Save As" and the Quick Access tree menu will display both RECENT FOLDERS and RECENT FILES. It boggles my mind that the Quick Access menu will show RECENT FOLDERS or RECENT Files if manually created when just "bopping around" but not within in any application that I have.This functionality is

:)

Sammy888, Jan 13, 2023

2. Saving a file to a folder

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you

It would be grateful if you could provide us few questions answer to understand the issue better and to provide you better assistance.

• How are you accessing emails through web browser or through a mail client (mail app, outlook 2010/2013)?

• Are you trying to save the email attached file? Please elaborate.
    If you are using Outlook email, let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. Try the below steps provided.

Step 1.

If you want to save only the attached file from the email, try the below step.

• Right click on the attached file and click on Save as.

• Now select a folder location where you want to save the attached file.
    Step 2.

If you want to save the file along with the email try the below steps provided.

• Open the mail you want to save and click on File on the top of the right side.

• Click on Save As and select a folder location where you want to save the email.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 13, 2023
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jan 13, 2023
  4. What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"...

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Ok, this is driving me mad.

Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.)

Now there is the Quick Access menu, which performs a somewhat similar function, but very, very poorly.

Here's what was good about the Recent Places:

• As soon as I used a folder, it was available in recent places
    • As soon as I used a FILE, it was available in recent places
    • Recent Places was always available - in searches, in context menus and in Save As
    • When I was working in three different applications (say, creating a graph in Excel, image-editing it in Illustrator then dropping it into PowerPoint) I was instantly able to access the place I had saved it in each application, because saving the Excel file
      triggered that folder to appear in Recent Places.
    • I could also open a file in a different application (save it in Gimp and then open it in Photoshop) by finding the file in the recent places folder.

Here's what doesn't work about the Quick Access menu

• It does not automatically add the folder to the window until it has been used a certain number of times.
    • This is hopeless, because if I need to access the folder, say, 5 times between my three applications, then by the time the folder is in Quick Access I NO LONGER NEED IT! I need the same folder immediately after I have used it, not 25 minutes later when
      the system realises "hey - you seem to use that folder a lot".
    • It does not keep files - only folders.

What I want to happen

• 10 out of 10 solution: I want the old system back.
    • 9 out of 10 solution: Quick Access tracks files and folders and immediately adds them when saved
    • 8 out of 10 as a workaround. Even if files can't get to Quick Access, it would be great to be able to tweak the algorithm that gets a
      folder into the Quick Access location. The sensitivity for getting a folder into Quick Access should be settable, even with just two settings: "place folders in Quick Access immediately when used" and "Place folders in Quick access when used
      often."

Please please please return this functionality. It was a major, major timesaver, particularly when working at the end of a long folder path.

RobbityBobbityBoo, Jan 13, 2023
Thema:

What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"...

1. What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"... - Similar Threads - workaround retrieve save

2. What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the workaround to "retrieve" or "save" your [working] file to your "RECENTS Folder"...: I believe starting with Windows 10 perhaps W8 we no longer could "pull" or access RECENT FOLDERS or RECENT FILES within a given application. The result is very time consuming especially if you have many directories.I know for a fact with W7 I could be working in a random app...
  3. What files are kept when you reset your PC and keep your files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What files are kept when you reset your PC and keep your files.: I'm having a ton of issues with my PC, so much that often it turns on with a blue screen with options to troubleshoot. I've uninstalled recent updates through that menu but I'm still having issues. It keeps suggesting I reset my PC and keep my files. When I go to do this will...
  4. Sort files by recently saved--in multiple folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sort files by recently saved--in multiple folders: I have a folder that I share with another person, with many folders inside it. When they save their files, they will be in many different folders. How can I sort and see the most recently saved files, without seeing the containing folders? When I sort now, all I can do is...
  5. Is there a way to retrieve your product key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to retrieve your product key?: Bought my acer labtop on amazon a few days ago, for my classes. But supposedly you need a product key do download chrome but unfortunately I threw out the packaging. submitted by /u/Trvstvn [link] [comments]...
  6. Save your work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Save your work: Is it redundant to tell people to do updates before working on something important or save work before restarting and getting back to it later? Does anyone even turn on restart notifications? 139728
  7. Save your work

in Windows 10 Support
    Save your work: Is it redundant to tell people to do updates before working on something important or save work before restarting and getting back to it later? Does anyone even turn on restart notifications? 139728
  8. Shrug ransomware victim? How to retrieve your locked files for free

in Windows 10 News
    Shrug ransomware victim? How to retrieve your locked files for free: A new form of ransomware is being distributed through drive-by attacks, but victims can retrieve their locked files for free due to mistakes in the attack's code. Shrug uses a random key generation for each user -- but researchers at cyber security company LMNTRIX have...
  9. Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder: How to: Undo: Merged your Pictures folder with your User folder In Windows 10 you can Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10. You may have done this, for example, because your C: drive is an SSD with limited free space and you want to keep your Pictures on a larger...
  10. Disable file explorer saving recent folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable file explorer saving recent folder locations: Hi guys, In File Explorer, how do you disable it from automatically saving recent locations in the dropdown? (NOT the search bar) For instance, I am typing %SCRIPTS% into the folder URL bar and its taking me to the folder location, but it saves the directory as a...