Windows 10: what is these files??

Discus and support what is these files?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It happens that some strange files appear to my PC but I can hardly recall how it comes. The file extension is *.E918D153 What are these files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tsw88, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Tsw88 Win User

what is these files??

It happens that some strange files appear to my PC but I can hardly recall how it comes. The file extension is *.E918D153

What are these files probably? Can I safely delete them permanently??

what is these files?? [​IMG]

:)

Tsw88, Aug 3, 2017

2. What are these files? I dont know what is going on?

Hi,

Yes they are all part of the recovery.

The recovery drive does not need to defrag because it is rarely if ever written to so it

would be a total waste of time.

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 3, 2017
  3. ajpuri Win User
    What are these files? I dont know what is going on?

I went to defragment my new laptop and realized that besides the C drive, there are 3 others random ones. Here are their exact names:

• PBR Image
    • WINRETOOLS - (which is 14% fragmented and says it needs optimization, but for some reason it wont optimize)
    • \\?\Volume{abb1408d-f2e1-4108-a5f7-d8e97ae14085}\ - (that is the exact name which is freaking me out, is this a virus?)

Quick info about the laptop, I bought it recently, and upgraded from window's 8 to 10. It's a Dell.

Im a student with limited knowledge and exams around the corner. I dont want anything affecting my work, but I also dont want to put off anything serious with this laptop. I just want to know what these are and if/how I can get rid of them.

ajpuri, Aug 3, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

what is these files??

I can't find any info about them. What folder do they appear inside of? Location may provide a clue, and/or confirm my intuition that these are application-derived and not of Windows' doing or making.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 3, 2017
  5. Tsw88 Win User
    probably NOT from any system or application folder. However, I really cannot recall what it may have a connection with

Tsw88, Aug 3, 2017
  6. AndreyT Win User
    Where exactly do they appear? Which directory?

You are the thread starter. Why does your description of these files' location begin with the word "probably"? Do you or do you not know where exactly these files reside?

AndreyT, Aug 3, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Yea... I agree. It would be very helpful if you can provide more information on the location of the folder.
    If you cannot give us the exact path, try to give us as close as possible the location.

Examples:
    C:\Windows\system32\*****\asdf
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Program\****
    etc...

pepanee, Aug 3, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

what is these files??

If your have AV is happy... they are probably harmless and temp stuff that certain apps use...leave em - that app will (well should) remove them..

Superfly, Aug 3, 2017
  9. Tsw88 Win User
    The files appear in one of the folder I created by myself, so it's probably not system folders...

Tsw88, Aug 5, 2017
  10. pepanee Win User
    Move them to a different folder and put that folder somewhere else. Restart your computer/Use your computer/Wait a few days. If nothing happens, then just go ahead and get rid of them. That's what I would do.

pepanee, Aug 5, 2017
  11. Rocky Win User
    Photos from your last vacation?

Rocky, Aug 5, 2017
  12. pepanee Win User
    As a matter of fact.. if you really want some analysis on these files, do this:

Open Notepad, and drag one of those files into Notepad (to have it open in Notepad). Then take a screen shot of whatever it shows in Notepad. You can also just copy paste like the first section (as text), and from that we can probably figure out what that file could be.

For example, I dragged an EXE file into Notepad. The beginning says "MZ". If you do a search on the web, you can see that this refers to an EXE file type. You can also learn a few interesting history facts. Check this link out: The Anything about IT

what is these files?? [​IMG]

pepanee, Aug 5, 2017
  13. tcebob Win User

what is these files??

tcebob, Aug 6, 2017
  14. Tsw88 Win User
    OMG , thank you Rocky, thank you people

I've tried to change the ending of the file to *.jpg. It's photo I took !!! Luckily I did not delete them !!

I just wondering how the photo files became something wired, I am pretty sure I never renamed the files to those strange string of alphabets!!

Tsw88, Aug 6, 2017
  15. AndreyT Win User
    This is most likely not the photo you took, but rather a thumbnail or lower-res version of your photo created by some photo software for its internal purposes. (Lightroom is one example of such software.)

The folder in question is being used by that software as a cache folder specifically for storing these cashed temporary lower-res images. They are deliberately given these weird no-extension names to prevent you from mistaking them for the actual photos.

If the images in question is something you really care about, then I hope the discovery of this folder did not make you erase your actual full-res images. Again: these are not your actual images. This is just a cache. Your images reside elsewhere.

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

what is these files??

1. what is these files?? - Similar Threads - files

2. My folder is showing far fewer files than there should be in the folder. Properties shows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My folder is showing far fewer files than there should be in the folder. Properties shows...: My Sims 4 mods folder is showing vastly different properties right now and I'm not sure why. When I open the folder, the info bar says it has 9937 items in it, but on properties, it says it has 26k. It *should* be 26k, but a whole bunch of stuff seems to be missing and I...
  3. My folder is showing far fewer files than there should be in the folder. Properties shows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My folder is showing far fewer files than there should be in the folder. Properties shows...: My Sims 4 mods folder is showing vastly different properties right now and I'm not sure why. When I open the folder, the info bar says it has 9937 items in it, but on properties, it says it has 26k. It *should* be 26k, but a whole bunch of stuff seems to be missing and I...
  4. How do I access my OneDrive files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I access my OneDrive files?: I have been trying to open my files on OneDrive Windows 11 Dell, but I can't manage to open them. A pop-up message of "Install failed. Please contact your software vendor" keeps appearing on the screen whenever I do. I've tried troubleshooting, updating my Windows, and...
  5. How do I access my OneDrive files?

How do I access my OneDrive files?: I have been trying to open my files on OneDrive Windows 11 Dell, but I can't manage to open them. A pop-up message of "Install failed. Please contact your software vendor" keeps appearing on the screen whenever I do. I've tried troubleshooting, updating my Windows, and...
  6. question about recovering files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    question about recovering files: Ok so awhile back I saw a video explaining how to make a hidden folder and secure it. Basically alt+0160 and then add files into it and goto cmd and apply +s +h attributes. So at the time I thought hell thats a great idea lets hide some stuff on flash drive. So I put a bunch...
  7. question about recovering files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    question about recovering files: Ok so awhile back I saw a video explaining how to make a hidden folder and secure it. Basically alt+0160 and then add files into it and goto cmd and apply +s +h attributes. So at the time I thought hell thats a great idea lets hide some stuff on flash drive. So I put a bunch...
  8. question about recovering files

9. User file is missing my profile. How do i get it back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User file is missing my profile. How do i get it back: Hello,when i logged into my laptop today i noticed that my user profile file is missing from the user folder. I have tried unhiding all files in the user folder but nothing happens. If i go to the left i can see downloads, videos etc and all the files are still there.I cannot...
  10. User file is missing my profile. How do i get it back

User file is missing my profile. How do i get it back: Hello,when i logged into my laptop today i noticed that my user profile file is missing from the user folder. I have tried unhiding all files in the user folder but nothing happens. If i go to the left i can see downloads, videos etc and all the files are still there.I cannot...