Windows 10: What is this folder "Removable Storage Devices"?

Discus and support What is this folder "Removable Storage Devices"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This folder keeps appearing on my desktop but it is empty. The context menu for it is very short and there are no Properties, Delete or anything else... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rufford155, Aug 14, 2021.

1. What is this folder "Removable Storage Devices"?

This folder keeps appearing on my desktop but it is empty. The context menu for it is very short and there are no Properties, Delete or anything else useful. If I refresh the desktop it disappears. The desktop is where my laptop boots up to and where I permanently work from. It doesn't show up in any searches from the start menu or the search button. It appears to be a "Ghost" that does not really exist. Is there a way to stop this ? Also whenever I refresh the desktop, for this or any other reason, my "This PC" icon - which I keep in the top left hand corner - moves to a vacant space downwards or to the right. Why does this happen and can it be stopped ?

:)

rufford155, Aug 14, 2021

2. Internal Storage devices being detected as removable devices

Hi,

I would suggest you to update your storage controller driver.

Method 1: Update Storage Controller Driver

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Update Driver Software.
    • Wait for sometime and check if the issue persists.
    • Restart your system.
    Method 2: Uninstall and then reinstall Storage Controller driver from the Manufacturer's Website

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Uninstall.
    • Now, go to the Manufacturer's website and download the latest storage controller driver.
    • Once the download is complete, double-click and run the setup file to complete installation.
    • Restart your system.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Aug 14, 2021
  3. A folder named "Removable Storage Devices" suddenly on my desktop

Hello,

A software conflict is one of the possible causes why you're getting a folder
    "Removable Storage Devices". To help you resolve your concern, kindly follow these steps:

• Perform a clean boot. You may refer to this
      link
    • Use the
      System File Checker tool
      to repair missing or corrupted system files.
    • Restart your computer. If the issue persists, kindly delete the folder. But before doing so, please create a backup file just in case you encounter a data loss.

Do let us know if you have any other concerns.

Raymond Ave, Aug 14, 2021
  4. What is this folder "Removable Storage Devices"?

Remove Devices

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while removing the device from your Microsoft account as it keeps popping back after removing.

It could be possible that the device was using OneDrive with the same Microsoft account and that might be the reason you are able to see the device listed under your profile. I would suggest you to remove the device from OneDrive
    and see if that helps.

You can follow the steps to remove the device from OneDrive.

1. Login to
      https://onedrive.live.com
    2. Now on the left hand pane click on PC’s.
    3. Now click on the devices that are listed under PC’s and on the right hand side click on
      Remove PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

What is this folder "Removable Storage Devices"?

1. What is this folder "Removable Storage Devices"? - Similar Threads - folder Removable Storage

2. Removables storages device folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removables storages device folder on desktop: I've seen a lot of nonsense everywhere about this issue.And nobody here was capable to find the issue...The only fix is this :Using File Explorer Options: Open File Explorer and click on the "View" tab. Click on "Options" and select "Change folder and search options". In the...
  3. Removables storages device folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removables storages device folder on desktop: I've seen a lot of nonsense everywhere about this issue.And nobody here was capable to find the issue...The only fix is this :Using File Explorer Options: Open File Explorer and click on the "View" tab. Click on "Options" and select "Change folder and search options". In the...
  4. Removables storages device folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Removable Storage Devices folder on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removable Storage Devices folder on my desktop.: So I found an folder on my desktop on Windows. At the desktop, I see an folder, reading "Removable Storage Devices". I don't know why this was here. I can't delete the folder with a right click. I can't add items to the folder. I can't move it to the trash can. From an Reddit...
  6. Removable Storage Devices folder on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removable Storage Devices folder on my desktop.: So I found an folder on my desktop on Windows. At the desktop, I see an folder, reading "Removable Storage Devices". I don't know why this was here. I can't delete the folder with a right click. I can't add items to the folder. I can't move it to the trash can. From an Reddit...
  7. Removable Storage Devices folder on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. removable storage devices folder that appeared on m dsktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    removable storage devices folder that appeared on m dsktop: Don't know how it got there - Was not listed in my desktop icons and it has now disappeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removable-storage-devices-folder-that-appeared-on/598f88da-0df7-4610-bada-0cad224af9e8
  9. removable Storage Devices folder on my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    removable Storage Devices folder on my desktop: How did this get there. I did not put it there and it will not go into the recycle bin https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removable-storage-devices-folder-on-my-desktop/00abd931-0d9d-4507-8032-cee2b93f95e8
  10. A folder named "Removable Storage Devices" suddenly on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    A folder named "Removable Storage Devices" suddenly on my desktop.: After doing a few things on my computer I closed my software and immediately noticed a folder named Removable Storage Devices (I never put folders on my desktop). Inside the folder it shows the available devices and drives. I don't know how it got there and it wasn't there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com