Windows 10: What is this Hidden File on my External USB Drive?

Discus and support What is this Hidden File on my External USB Drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Although I can see other hidden files on this drive such as $RECYCLE.BIN, I have a file that does not appear in Windows Explorer. Using "USB Safely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EdMcCauley, Jan 6, 2019.

1. What is this Hidden File on my External USB Drive?

Although I can see other hidden files on this drive such as $RECYCLE.BIN, I have a file that does not appear in Windows Explorer. Using "USB Safely Remove" the following Process is displayed as preventing safe removal of this drive:

System
    i:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf
    i:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer0000000000000002
    i:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLogContainer0000000000000001
    i:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txf:$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION

Any info is GREATLY appreciated

Tom

:)

EdMcCauley, Jan 6, 2019

2. Folders invisible on external hard drive?

Hi,

This could happen if the files on the External driven are hidden. Follow the steps

• Press Windows + X
    • Click Control panel
    • Click Appearance and Personalization
    • Click on Show Hidden files

Vinod Archak, Jan 6, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 6, 2019
  4. What is this Hidden File on my External USB Drive?

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

What is this Hidden File on my External USB Drive?

1. What is this Hidden File on my External USB Drive? - Similar Threads - Hidden File External

2. My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive: My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive; all files i put to the usb drive keep going to that hidden folder. When i delete the shortcut after i put the disk in and the shortcut is back there....
  3. My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive: My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive; all files i put to the usb drive keep going to that hidden folder. When i delete the shortcut after i put the disk in and the shortcut is back there....
  4. My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  6. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  7. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. usb external drives

usb external drives: Hello --- my hp laptop has 2 usb2 ports and 1 usb3 port and 1 usb-c port It seems that if I try to use a powered the hub uses a ac adaptor usb 3 hub connected to the usb 3 or usb c port after a time, any external disks plugged in to the hub seems to stop working -- and...
  9. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  10. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...