Windows 10: What is this network device?

Discus and support What is this network device? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I woke my desktop PC from sleep this morning, clicked on Network and immediately spotted a Phone in the device list that doesn't belong to anyone here... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Carnivore, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Carnivore Win User

What is this network device?

I woke my desktop PC from sleep this morning, clicked on Network and immediately spotted a Phone in the device list that doesn't belong to anyone here (a Blu brand phone which is unusual enough that I would know about it).

I clicked on the device and was able to view the MAC address, but nothing else useful. A couple minutes later it disappeared from the network list.

Then a few minutes later I went and looked at another PC on the same home network and saw the same phone in its Network list. It also disappeared a couple minutes after I clicked open 'Network'.

Scanned both PCs with various anti-malware programs including Malwarebytes - they look clean.

Any suggestions on what I was seeing, and if it's malicious how to deal with it?

UPDATE: It popped back up again. I checked my router's connection list and don't see it there. For now I blocked the MAC address in my router but would still like to know where this is coming from.

:)

Carnivore, Jun 20, 2016
  2. Cooloma Win User

Atheros Smart Net - what is this and what is it for?

I updated from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (10 days ago). I found Atheros Smart Net (asav) in my apps list. What is it and who/how or when was it installed? What is it good for? What will be affected if I uninstall it? Did Dell add it to my new
    Inspiron desktop last summer?

Cooloma, Jun 20, 2016
  3. Atheros Smart Net - what is this and what is it for?

Atheros provides Network Adapters for computers,so I think it is something related to the network controller.I would suggest you asking the same with Dell for more information

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 20, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Could it be a neighbors phone with Wi-Fi turned on?

Winuser, Jun 21, 2016
  5. Carnivore Win User
    That was a thought but my WiFi has a pretty strong WPA2 password so I don't think he should be able to jump onto my WiFi and show up in my Windows network list.

I was wondering if it's some kind of hack.

Carnivore, Jun 21, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    I think that just stops them from access. I don't think that stops them from showing up on your network. If I'm wrong someone will come along that knows for sure.

Winuser, Jun 21, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    This is a weird problem I've been seeing in windows for years now (not just windows 10). I've been unable to figure out what it is, but we're not alone in this, I did some research a while back and a lot of other people were seeing it as well.

Some suggest it's a bug in the network stack. Some suggest it's neighbors who are connecting somehow, but not able to use the network. Regardless, it's not an uncommon problem and doesn't seem to be anything worry about. Here's some examples:

Solved Strange phones in network - Windows 10 Forums
    Strange phones listed on Network heading

Mystere, Jun 21, 2016
  8. Carnivore Win User

Thanks Mystere, that is strange but helpful.

I haven't seen that phone make another appearance since I blocked its MAC address in my router. Based on those previous threads I'll keep an eye on it but not worry too much for now.

Carnivore, Jun 21, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    One other issue some folks have is with computers [usually Notebooks] that have a Bluetooth adapter and are seeing cellphones when they get within range, usually not a problem if they don't get paired.

Berton, Jun 21, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    Doesn't the pairing have to be OK'd on both devices?

Winuser, Jun 21, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    I've had a cellphone show up in Devices and Printers without having been paired, apparently just telling me it was available.

Berton, Jun 21, 2016
  12. badrobot Win User
    Those are probably just devices on discoverable mode. The owner of the device should be worried. Not you.

badrobot, Jun 21, 2016
  13. Carnivore Win User

In my case they are desktop PCs with no bluetooth capability.

Carnivore, Jun 21, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    This happens all the time to me in my neighborhood, too. The phone is visible but you can't access meaningful properties or interact with it. I believe the poster who indicated this just comes from being discoverable is correct. Here's a screen cap I took just now from the Network listing in File Explorer:

What is this network device? [​IMG]

If I try to dig further into properties I get exactly nowhere. To me, that means the network can "see" the phone, but that it's not really connected or interacting with the network.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What is this network device? - Similar Threads - network device

2. why does my laptop can only access 1 wifi network while my other devices can access 4+ more...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does my laptop can only access 1 wifi network while my other devices can access 4+ more...: in my laptop whenever i try to see my networks, i can only see 1 or 2 wifi networks but my phone has access to 4+ networks, is it because my laptop has a weak signal strength compared to my other devices or is it something else, the laptop was given to me this week by my...
  3. why does my laptop can only access 1 wifi network while my other devices can access 4+ more...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does my laptop can only access 1 wifi network while my other devices can access 4+ more...: in my laptop whenever i try to see my networks, i can only see 1 or 2 wifi networks but my phone has access to 4+ networks, is it because my laptop has a weak signal strength compared to my other devices or is it something else, the laptop was given to me this week by my...
  4. why does my laptop can only access 1 wifi network while my other devices can access 4+ more...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Trying to activate my device but its telling me to connect to my organizations network,...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Trying to activate my device but its telling me to connect to my organizations network,...: I was trying to activate my computer but it said that I needed to connect to my organizations network. The computer has never been part of any organizations so I decided to remove the organizations from the settings but there were none on the computer. I'm not sure what is...
  6. Trying to activate my device but its telling me to connect to my organizations network,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to activate my device but its telling me to connect to my organizations network,...: I was trying to activate my computer but it said that I needed to connect to my organizations network. The computer has never been part of any organizations so I decided to remove the organizations from the settings but there were none on the computer. I'm not sure what is...
  7. Trying to activate my device but its telling me to connect to my organizations network,...

8. Wifi not working and Network Adapter not appearing in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi not working and Network Adapter not appearing in Device Manager: Hello,For context, I've just built a PC and have installed Windows 11. My motherboard has WiFi included MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI and I have screwed in the antennae. Everything seems to be working with the exception of WiFi. To be clear, Ethernet isn't an option as my...
  9. Wifi not working and Network Adapter not appearing in Device Manager

Wifi not working and Network Adapter not appearing in Device Manager: Hello,For context, I've just built a PC and have installed Windows 11. My motherboard has WiFi included MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI and I have screwed in the antennae. Everything seems to be working with the exception of WiFi. To be clear, Ethernet isn't an option as my...
  10. pdate sitiator Click-t ort ort Cont are Shac ge Space The Network Connected Devices...

pdate sitiator Click-t ort ort Cont are Shac ge Space The Network Connected Devices...: The Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is Network Device