Windows 10: What is this network device?

Discus and support What is this network device? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I woke my desktop PC from sleep this morning, clicked on Network and immediately spotted a Phone in the device list that doesn't belong to anyone here... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Carnivore, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Carnivore Win User

What is this network device?

I woke my desktop PC from sleep this morning, clicked on Network and immediately spotted a Phone in the device list that doesn't belong to anyone here (a Blu brand phone which is unusual enough that I would know about it).

I clicked on the device and was able to view the MAC address, but nothing else useful. A couple minutes later it disappeared from the network list.

Then a few minutes later I went and looked at another PC on the same home network and saw the same phone in its Network list. It also disappeared a couple minutes after I clicked open 'Network'.

Scanned both PCs with various anti-malware programs including Malwarebytes - they look clean.

Any suggestions on what I was seeing, and if it's malicious how to deal with it?

UPDATE: It popped back up again. I checked my router's connection list and don't see it there. For now I blocked the MAC address in my router but would still like to know where this is coming from.

:)

Carnivore, Jun 20, 2016
  2. Cooloma Win User

Atheros Smart Net - what is this and what is it for?

I updated from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (10 days ago). I found Atheros Smart Net (asav) in my apps list. What is it and who/how or when was it installed? What is it good for? What will be affected if I uninstall it? Did Dell add it to my new
    Inspiron desktop last summer?

Cooloma, Jun 20, 2016
  3. Atheros Smart Net - what is this and what is it for?

Atheros provides Network Adapters for computers,so I think it is something related to the network controller.I would suggest you asking the same with Dell for more information

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 20, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Could it be a neighbors phone with Wi-Fi turned on?

Winuser, Jun 21, 2016
  5. Carnivore Win User
    That was a thought but my WiFi has a pretty strong WPA2 password so I don't think he should be able to jump onto my WiFi and show up in my Windows network list.

I was wondering if it's some kind of hack.

Carnivore, Jun 21, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    I think that just stops them from access. I don't think that stops them from showing up on your network. If I'm wrong someone will come along that knows for sure.

Winuser, Jun 21, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    This is a weird problem I've been seeing in windows for years now (not just windows 10). I've been unable to figure out what it is, but we're not alone in this, I did some research a while back and a lot of other people were seeing it as well.

Some suggest it's a bug in the network stack. Some suggest it's neighbors who are connecting somehow, but not able to use the network. Regardless, it's not an uncommon problem and doesn't seem to be anything worry about. Here's some examples:

Solved Strange phones in network - Windows 10 Forums
    Strange phones listed on Network heading

Mystere, Jun 21, 2016
  8. Carnivore Win User

Thanks Mystere, that is strange but helpful.

I haven't seen that phone make another appearance since I blocked its MAC address in my router. Based on those previous threads I'll keep an eye on it but not worry too much for now.

Carnivore, Jun 21, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    One other issue some folks have is with computers [usually Notebooks] that have a Bluetooth adapter and are seeing cellphones when they get within range, usually not a problem if they don't get paired.

Berton, Jun 21, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    Doesn't the pairing have to be OK'd on both devices?

Winuser, Jun 21, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    I've had a cellphone show up in Devices and Printers without having been paired, apparently just telling me it was available.

Berton, Jun 21, 2016
  12. badrobot Win User
    Those are probably just devices on discoverable mode. The owner of the device should be worried. Not you.

badrobot, Jun 21, 2016
  13. Carnivore Win User

In my case they are desktop PCs with no bluetooth capability.

Carnivore, Jun 21, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    This happens all the time to me in my neighborhood, too. The phone is visible but you can't access meaningful properties or interact with it. I believe the poster who indicated this just comes from being discoverable is correct. Here's a screen cap I took just now from the Network listing in File Explorer:

What is this network device? [​IMG]

If I try to dig further into properties I get exactly nowhere. To me, that means the network can "see" the phone, but that it's not really connected or interacting with the network.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What is this network device? - Similar Threads - network device

2. Network devices fail to start (Code 10)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network devices fail to start (Code 10): Windows fails to start my network devices (Intel I211 Eth & Intel 3168 WiFi-AC (both onboard an ASRock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX a/c mainboard, firmware v6.31) The issue first appeared for Windows version 1903 only if KB4515384 was installed. Uninstalling and blacklisting...
  3. Devices Disappear from File Explorer Network When Another Device Commects to LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Devices Disappear from File Explorer Network When Another Device Commects to LAN: Scenario: When only Desktop and NAS are connected to LAN (each via ethernet): 1) In Left Pane of File Explorer (FE) on Desktop under Network, both are listed 2) In Right Pane of FE on Desktop under Computer, both are listed; under Storage, NAS is...
  4. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  5. Add Device to Home Network

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Add Device to Home Network: Added A/V Receiver to system. It is turned on when try to add to home network. "Add Device" function does not find it. Found it once and told me to wait while set up files installed for adding device. That screen stayed on for 30 minutes without change to progress...
  6. Sharing folder over network with specific devices.

Sharing folder over network with specific devices.: Hi all, I recently setup a NAS server and i need to share the files on this pc with another pc on the network. I live in a shared house so i dont want to share the files with ever computer. Scenario: PC1: NAS server with files (all in one folder)i want to share with...
  7. Unknown Devices showing up in Network

Unknown Devices showing up in Network: So, I've encountered this once before, but it's recently happened again. Got a device named 'austin' showing up in my Windows network section of Explorer. Its vendor was labelled 'Amazon', and it had no IP address - only a MAC address. To double my confusion, when I...
  8. File Explorer - Navigation Pane Slow to display Network devices

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Navigation Pane Slow to display Network devices: Minor niggle with File Explorer's Navigation Pane initially slow to display my networked devices (computers). However clicking the Network Icon immediately populates the area to the right of the Navigation Pane with my Computers, Media Devices and Storage. Network sharing...
  9. Windows 10 x64 won't wake up Ethernet Networking Device

Windows 10 x64 won't wake up Ethernet Networking Device: I have decided as of last summer to go wireless free in the office, hence I've opted for Ethernet LAN wired connection to my router, so as to have constant and fast connection. Trouble is I did not count on Windows not cooperating in this endeavour. Everything is setup...
  10. Network connection slow on one PC, normal on other devices (PC, mobile)

Network connection slow on one PC, normal on other devices (PC, mobile): I know there are multiple posts/questions regarding similar issues, but none of them has helped so far. The issue started about 2 weeks ago, initially, I thought it was a problem on the ISP's side, but everything their side checks out fine. I also realised that this was a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is Network Device