Windows 10: What is this odd file?

Discus and support What is this odd file? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro which is fully updated. Recently I have noticed an odd file with the name of UpdateLock followed by a series of numbers and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rescuemedium, Sep 29, 2021.

1. What is this odd file?

I am running Windows 10 Pro which is fully updated. Recently I have noticed an odd file with the name of UpdateLock followed by a series of numbers and letters. The file is located in the Program Data folder, and is 0 Kilobytes in size. If I delete it, it re appears within an hour. I have scanned my computer with Malwarebytes, Microsoft Defender and have found no infections or malware to be present. If anyone knows what this is, I would be grateful for the information.

:)

Rescuemedium, Sep 29, 2021
  2. Kreij Win User

Identical File Finder

@Ford
    I don't think that step #3 is even needed. The probabiliy of two MD5 hashes from differing files colliding is what, 2^-128 ?
    Even if your were hashing a million files the odds of a hash collision on differing files is astronomically small.

Kreij, Sep 29, 2021
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Sep 29, 2021
  4. What is this odd file?

User can't copy files from network share. Permission error.

Seems security essentials wasn't liking the file for the user for some odd reason. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hybrid_theory, Sep 29, 2021
Thema:

What is this odd file?

1. What is this odd file? - Similar Threads - odd file

2. Photos app working oddly in Windows 11 Pro - can only see specific files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos app working oddly in Windows 11 Pro - can only see specific files: I am using Windows 11 Pro on two laptops. Both have all of the latest Microsoft updates. Today I noticed that upon opening the Photos app the only thumbnails I see are photos that are located in the Pictures > Photos folder child folders of Photos also appear. Everything else...
  3. Photos app working oddly in Windows 11 Pro - can only see specific files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app working oddly in Windows 11 Pro - can only see specific files: I am using Windows 11 Pro on two laptops. Both have all of the latest Microsoft updates. Today I noticed that upon opening the Photos app the only thumbnails I see are photos that are located in the Pictures > Photos folder child folders of Photos also appear. Everything else...
  4. Odd scenario. Can an OST file corruption delete files from my documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd scenario. Can an OST file corruption delete files from my documents: Very odd scenario here. An OST file was only holding emails from nov of 2022 and earlier. Nothing new was in outlook. After deleting the OST and adding a new one, files on the computer seem to stop at November of 22 despite the emails now working again. Is there anything with...
  5. Odd scenario. Can an OST file corruption delete files from my documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd scenario. Can an OST file corruption delete files from my documents: Very odd scenario here. An OST file was only holding emails from nov of 2022 and earlier. Nothing new was in outlook. After deleting the OST and adding a new one, files on the computer seem to stop at November of 22 despite the emails now working again. Is there anything with...
  6. Odd scenario. Can an OST file corruption delete files from my documents

7. OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files: Hello,I have persistent issues with OneDrive syncing. Here are a couple of problems that are happening:1 Excel files, e.g., will have trouble syncing and will revert to a random number. For example, "Scott's Excel File.xlsx" becomes "1364358.xlsx". Excel will be pointing to a...
  8. OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files: Hello,I have persistent issues with OneDrive syncing. Here are a couple of problems that are happening:1 Excel files, e.g., will have trouble syncing and will revert to a random number. For example, "Scott's Excel File.xlsx" becomes "1364358.xlsx". Excel will be pointing to a...
  9. OneDrive sync errors on W10 - odd paths and renamed files

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Odd Image File Names

Odd Image File Names: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...