Windows 10: What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before

Discus and support What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This folder just appeared on my D: drive. Why in this drive? It appears to be connected with updates, because the "replacementmanifests" folder has 355... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Jan 7, 2020.

1. x509 Win User

What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before

This folder just appeared on my D: drive. Why in this drive? It appears to be connected with updates, because the "replacementmanifests" folder has 355 items. Overall, it takes 4.7 GB, and wastes backup drive space. Notice the WindowsOld.wim file, 4.6 GB.*Mad

Is there a registry setting to move this entire folder to a different drive? My D: drive is for "real" data.

Moderators: I wasn't sure if this is the right forum for this issue.

What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before [​IMG]

:)

x509, Jan 7, 2020

2. annoying tmp files in downloads folder

Hi all,

for a while now my "downloads" folder has been full of .tmp files that make it impossible to find any real downloads in the folder.

I read online these files might be associated with chrome, but I don't know the steps to deal with this issue.

would appreciate help with this

JakeBilchinsky, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Mat Por Win User
    $Windows.~TMP folder

After the last update a folder was created on my D:\ drive named $Windows.~TMP folder

I was wondering if it is safe to delete this folder?

The folder contains the following folder architype:

Dlmanifests

replacementmanifests

Rollback

Work

And a few files:

Mainly ESD-Files

some Winrar Archives

and one configuration settings..

Mat Por, Jan 7, 2020
  4. What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before

Hundreds of MSI####.tmp files in C:/ Drive

Here's what helped me:

The ICACLS command.

Imagine my Windows ID is Joseph and I have hundreds of MSI*.tmp empty folders on c:\. I'm not going to change the security properties of each one, giving JOSEPH-AND-MARY\Joseph the ability to delete MSI1234.tmp and all the other MSI*.tmp folders.

No, I need a miracle! The ICACLS command is that miracle.

Step 1:

icacls c:\MSI*.tmp /grant JosephWhat is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before :(F,DE)

Step 2:

Now you can delete those pesky folders in Windows Explorer or any utility that deletes empty folders.

(Note: I did run TAKEOWN c:\MSI*.tmp first, so I'm not sure if that was necessary.)

SWalkerELT, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before

1. What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before - Similar Threads - $WINDOWS ~TMP folder

2. What uses Tmp and temp?

in Windows 10 Support
    What uses Tmp and temp?: The Windows OS uses those folders. In the old days, you could safely delete anything in those folders as it didn't matter. Now days, I'm pretty sure Windows 10 will monitor delete and update as necessary. 148332
  3. This never happened before . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This never happened before . . .: I want to create a desktop icon, that when I click on it, would get me on the internet? What I need to know, is what the exact path, to put on the icon shortcut, that would connect me? Thanks for reading . . . Jerry...
  4. Windows crash I've never seen before

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows crash I've never seen before: I've googled everything and have not found anything even close. I am running an almost new PC laptop with Windows 10 and all updates. Everything was running perfectly. Today I bought a new monitor that connect through HDMI. I tried it out, all was well and I turned my...
  5. "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders

in Windows 10 Support
    "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders: I get lots of "tw-7f0-87c-*****.tmp" folders into C:\Windows\Temp Any idea what these are? [img] 130824
  6. Windows 10 Home SL activated but I have never installed it before!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home SL activated but I have never installed it before!: Well, this is odd. I was doing an experiment seeing if I could upgrade a 10 Home SL to PRO keeping all programs etc. Of course, this is possible with Home. So I clean installed Home SL in a VM with a PRO digital licence fully expecting it to be unactivated as I have never...
  7. New BSOD I've Never Seen Before

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New BSOD I've Never Seen Before: I multi-boot, main Win 7 and then 2 Win 10's on other drives. It had been at least 10 days since I last booted into them, no problems then, but I was surprised today when I tried. Got a smaller than usual BSOD (low res Safe Mode size) and all it said was as follows, even...
  8. "Weird...Never seen this before"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Weird...Never seen this before": When transferring more than a few files from one folder or drive to another I would always see a progress bar showing the percentage of files transferred and a guestimate of what's left to go. That dialogue, progress bar and transfer information no longer appears in...
  9. Cannot delete tmp folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete tmp folders: Hi, small annoying problem, when I go to 'My PC' somehow I have a lot of temporary folders on my C: drive, and cannot get rid of them. Says that 'You require permission from the administrator to make these changes. I have tried using the command prompt with:net user...
  10. Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder: I would like to know if TMP files in System Profile folder can safely be deleted ? Actual location..C:/ Users/Windows/System32/Config/Systemprofile.. I have about 10,000 or so ! Thank you 76758