Windows 10: What is TPM and why does Windows 11 require it?

Discus and support What is TPM and why does Windows 11 require it? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; By now you may know that Microsoft's new operating system Windows 11 requires a TPM chip. But why does Windows 11 require a TPM chip, and what is its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 6, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

What is TPM and why does Windows 11 require it?

By now you may know that Microsoft's new operating system Windows 11 requires a TPM chip. But why does Windows 11 require a TPM chip, and what is its purpose. In this guide, we will provide answers to these questions.

What is TPM?

What is TPM and why does Windows 11 require it? what-is-a-tpm-2.0-chip..png

TPM stands for Trusted Platform Module. It comes in the form of a chip on the computer's motherboard or as part of the processor, and serves a number of purposes, including device authentication, encryption, identification and integrity verification. It may be used by the operating system to better protect devices against advanced threats.

A TPM device is therefore any device with a TPM chip.

What is the main function of a TPM chip?

The TPM chip is a secure crypto-processor that is designed for cryptographic operations. It is designed to be tamper-resistant, and includes a unique key that may be used for platform device authentication.

TPM can check the integrity of the system during the boot process to make sure it has not been tampered with.

Microsoft Director of Enterprise and OS Security, David Weston, described the main function of the TPM chip in the following way:

[..] to help protect encryption keys, user credentials, and other sensitive data behind a hardware barrier so that malware and attackers can’t access or tamper with that data.
    Why does Windows 11 require a TPM 2.0 chip?

Microsoft decided to raise the security baseline of the Windows 11 operating system by making TPM 2.0 a mandatory system requirement.

TPM is designed to protect PCs better against advanced forms of attacks, according to Microsoft.

PCs of the future need this modern hardware root-of-trust to help protect from both common and sophisticated attacks like ransomware and more sophisticated attacks from nation-states. Requiring the TPM 2.0 elevates the standard for hardware security by requiring that built-in root-of-trust.

Several security features of Windows 11 rely o TPM as well. Components such as the disk encryption feature BitLocker or the authentication feature Windows Hello, make use of TPM for improved security.

Tip: find out how to enable TPM 2.0 on your Windows PC here. Did you know that there is a way to install Windows 11 on PCs that don't support TPM?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post What is TPM and why does Windows 11 require it? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 6, 2021
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 devices now requires hardware encryption/TPM

Stolen from Sweclockers, but it's in swedish.

So from now on devices (OEM built) needs a TPM module. Relevant bit:

Pretty interesting, but there's tons of questions I guess. I don't actually now anything about how TPM works, just that it's hardware, meaning the key is stored in a physical chip and that the decryption has to run through this chip. But I have no idea how let's say biometrics is tied to this. Or what the implications will be, or what exactly is encrypted. The entire storage or just the log in details as such?

Frick, Oct 6, 2021
  3. Samuria Win User
  4. Bree Win User

TPM and Windows 11.

No, it's not changed to 1.2. Windows 11 will not be offered as an upgrade option in Windows Update unless the PC has TPM 2.0.

Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements and PC Health Check app | Windows 11 Forum

What has changed, as reported in that article Samuria gave a link for, is that MS will apparently allow you to upgrade manually using an ISO on an unsupported device, and if it has TPM 1.2 then it is certainly unsupported.

Whether you'd actually want to install W11 on an unsupported device is another matter, when MS say 'unsupported' they really mean it in all senses of the word. That article goes on to say that: "..."unsupported" Windows 11 PCs won't be entitled to receive Windows Updates".

Bree, Oct 6, 2021
Thema:

1. What is TPM and why does Windows 11 require it? - Similar Threads - TPM why does

2. does windows 11 insider program require tpm 2.0?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does windows 11 insider program require tpm 2.0?: I don't have a tpm 2.0 version on my computer and i cant Check if i have the requirement's on windows 11 because i have a custom os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-11-insider-program-require-tpm-20/d9f39243-d41a-45ed-8579-9c6e36993654
  3. does windows 11 insider program require tpm 2.0?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does windows 11 insider program require tpm 2.0?: I don't have a tpm 2.0 version on my computer and i cant Check if i have the requirement's on windows 11 because i have a custom os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows-11-insider-program-require-tpm-20/d9f39243-d41a-45ed-8579-9c6e36993654
  4. Why does tpm 2.0 not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does tpm 2.0 not work: Tpm 2.0 stopped working after I reset my gpu. It is enabled and bios is up to date and me is up to date. It has worked before. In the tpm mana app it confirms that it is on an ready but when I try to boot a game that requires tpm fifa,valorant it errors saying I don't have it...
  5. Why does tpm 2.0 not work

Why does tpm 2.0 not work: Tpm 2.0 stopped working after I reset my gpu. It is enabled and bios is up to date and me is up to date. It has worked before. In the tpm mana app it confirms that it is on an ready but when I try to boot a game that requires tpm fifa,valorant it errors saying I don't have it...
  6. TPM 2.0 requirements for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM 2.0 requirements for Windows 11: My PC basically meet requirements for Windows 11 but TPM 2.0 since I use Asus P8Z77 VLX and Intel i7 3770 which not have TPM support.Why TPM 2.0 must be mandatory, I know for business user, but for personal user it's non sense to locked out people from accessing it just...
  7. TPM 2.0 requirements for Windows 11

TPM 2.0 requirements for Windows 11: My PC basically meet requirements for Windows 11 but TPM 2.0 since I use Asus P8Z77 VLX and Intel i7 3770 which not have TPM support.Why TPM 2.0 must be mandatory, I know for business user, but for personal user it's non sense to locked out people from accessing it just...
  8. Require Startup Key with TPM doesn't require TPM. Really?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Require Startup Key with TPM doesn't require TPM. Really?: I'm used to using Bitlocker without a TPM with pre-boot password required, but now I've got a new PC with TPM, and it puzzles me in several ways. I'm going to ask about the one that affects the way I think I want to use it, which is TPM plus Startup Key. (I use Aegis Apricorn...
  9. Why does Windows 11 requirements mandates the availability of TPM ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does Windows 11 requirements mandates the availability of TPM ?: AFAIK many consumer-end products or say laptops designed for personal and non-commercial use, don't have TPMs..and its not for only my device or few others, but many.My laptop was marked as "not compatible" for windows 11 by PC health app and by insider build section...
  10. Does fingerprint login require a TPM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does fingerprint login require a TPM?: Does fingerprint login on windows 10 require a TPM or would it also work without a TPM? submitted by /u/CaudatusSR [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m69jus/does_fingerprint_login_require_a_tpm/