Windows 10: What is using my location?

Discus and support What is using my location? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I often see the location button in the task bar show up when it really shouldn’t. Like if I’m using photoshop or Microsoft word it’ll just appear... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/grassytree3264, Feb 9, 2021.

1. What is using my location?

So I often see the location button in the task bar show up when it really shouldn’t. Like if I’m using photoshop or Microsoft word it’ll just appear and I’ll have no clue why. Is it some sort of background program refreshing my location or am I being spied on by the NSA lol. For legal that was a joke. But has this happened to anyone else and did you ever fix it/figure out why it was happening? Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/grassytree3264
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/grassytree3264, Feb 9, 2021

2. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Karen Her Win User
    Location setting

Hi,

This issue could occur due to incorrect location settings or it would depend on your IP address. We suggest you to check the location settings of your PC, and check if it helps. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start button, and select Settings.
    • Go to Privacy, and choose Location.
    • Make sure that the Location service is On.

If issue persists, then it has something to do with your IP address. It’s because the location detected depends on the location set on your IP address.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Feb 9, 2021
  4. What is using my location?

my location on maps app is wrong.

Hi Don,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Location privacy settings in search bar
      and click on Location privacy settings.
    • Here you can enable/disable the Location.
    • You may try to Enable/Disable the Maps app to use the

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

What is using my location?

1. What is using my location? - Similar Threads - using location

2. "Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service" when trying to get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service" when trying to get...: I've seen threads about this but no real solution, and they seem to go back at least 1-2 years with new posts as recently as a few months ago. I am trying to install Windows 11 Pro on a new device, and there are some problems with internet connectivity for that device using...
  3. "Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service" when trying to get...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Some users, entities and locations are banned from using this service" when trying to get...: I've seen threads about this but no real solution, and they seem to go back at least 1-2 years with new posts as recently as a few months ago. I am trying to install Windows 11 Pro on a new device, and there are some problems with internet connectivity for that device using...
  4. Can I oppen location on a lost laptop using Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I oppen location on a lost laptop using Microsoft account: Can I open location on a lost laptop? When someone reset laptop would Microsoft account be reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-oppen-location-on-a-lost-laptop-using/ec28986b-8ec4-4d50-9bd9-51ee5be01fd8
  5. Can I oppen location on a lost laptop using Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I oppen location on a lost laptop using Microsoft account: Can I open location on a lost laptop? When someone reset laptop would Microsoft account be reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-oppen-location-on-a-lost-laptop-using/ec28986b-8ec4-4d50-9bd9-51ee5be01fd8
  6. Can I oppen location on a lost laptop using Microsoft account

7. I am unable to locate my recent sent emails? I am using Windows Mail.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to locate my recent sent emails? I am using Windows Mail.: Three days ago I sent 2 important emails and cannot locate them in the "Sent" folder. I am using Windows Mail via Google, not Outlook. Just sent a test email to myself and it doesn't show up. This is beyond frustrating!...
  8. I am unable to locate my recent sent emails? I am using Windows Mail.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am unable to locate my recent sent emails? I am using Windows Mail.: Three days ago I sent 2 important emails and cannot locate them in the "Sent" folder. I am using Windows Mail via Google, not Outlook. Just sent a test email to myself and it doesn't show up. This is beyond frustrating!...
  9. I am unable to locate my recent sent emails? I am using Windows Mail.

I am unable to locate my recent sent emails? I am using Windows Mail.: Three days ago I sent 2 important emails and cannot locate them in the "Sent" folder. I am using Windows Mail via Google, not Outlook. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-unable-to-locate-my-recent-sent-emails-i-am/934d41bc-9df8-4033-bab7-fc661b0d479a
  10. you can't change your default install location while that folder is in use error message pc...

you can't change your default install location while that folder is in use error message pc...: Hello, i keep getting this message when trying to install PC games to my D drive. I can install to my C drive but it's not very big. Anyone able to offer advice?...