Windows 10: What is 'Waking' my PC?

Discus and support What is 'Waking' my PC? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been putting my computer to sleep yet at around the hours of 10pm-12am MST all of a sudden it wakes up. I have disabled my mouse and keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HyJax LTD, Aug 9, 2019.

1. HyJax LTD Win User

What is 'Waking' my PC?

I have been putting my computer to sleep yet at around the hours of 10pm-12am MST all of a sudden it wakes up.

I have disabled my mouse and keyboard both from being able to wake the device, as well they both get turned off and are not on when the PC suddenly wakes itself.

How do I find out what is waking my machine so I can prevent it?

:)

HyJax LTD, Aug 9, 2019

2. Sleep / Wake Function, malfunctions after waking

Hi,

Issues that arise after waking up the PC from sleep mode might have been caused by a software conflict or system file corruption. For us to clarify the issue, we would like to ask these questions:

• What is the exact issue that you are experiencing?
    • Did you notice any recent system changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you encountered any error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

If you are having issues waking your PC from sleep, we suggest running the
    Power troubleshooter
    as an initial troubleshooting. Kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshoot, and then press Enter.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, click on Power.
    • Click on Run the troubleshooter button.
    • Follow the onscreen guide.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, Aug 9, 2019
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    App not waking pc from sleep

Thank you for getting back to us, Alexander. We can try to configure WinTv's task scheduler, kindly follow these steps:

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows key.
    2. Type Task Scheduler, and press Enter.
    3. Look for the specific task where you'd like WinTv to record (It'll easy to check under Next Run Time since you know the time when WinTv will record).
    4. Highlight the task, click Condition on the middle pane.
    5. Under Power, tick the box Wake the computer to run this task.

Check if your PC will wake to record after performing these steps, if the issue persists, kindly provide us your Windows build and version so we can look for more troubleshooting steps:

1. On your keyboard, press Windows + R.
    2. Type winver, and press Enter.

Keep us posted.

Ralph Sta, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Valantar Win User

What is 'Waking' my PC?

Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

First off: I tried disabling wake-up by the mouse on both PCs and disabling USB Selective Suspend too, to no avail.
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. Good to know that powercfg can list all wake-enabled devices, 'cause when I went through all ... eight-ish PCI-to-PCI bridge devices in Device Manager, none of them had wake events listed (in the "events" tab under Properties), which doesn't quite add up with one/more of them waking the PC a dozen or so times over the last few days. Of course, they don't even have the option to enable/disable waking the PC in the properties menu. I'll take a look at disabling a bunch of stuff through powercfg once I get home from work.

Sorry if I came across as rude, but honestly, your reply did not at all indicate that you'd read my post in the first place. I said I'd been looking at wake-up history in the Windows event log, and I listed several of the devices cited there as having woken up the PC. If you came away with the impression that I hadn't investigated this thoroughly, I suppose I might not have been clear enough, but it's all there in the post. While powercfg does give out some more detail (device IDs and such) than Event Viewer, it only lists the last wake-up, and as such doesn't really help in this instance, as it's clearly not a single device at fault, and tracking wake-ups over time seems more useful. Also, figuring out how to view wake-up events in the Event Log is what you do after you've concluded that powercfg isn't giving you enough information *Wink What is 'Waking' my PC? ;)

Valantar, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

What is 'Waking' my PC?

1. What is 'Waking' my PC? - Similar Threads - 'Waking'

2. Blue screen sometimes after waking from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen sometimes after waking from sleep mode: I just got a BSOD shortly after waking my computer from sleep mode. I don't remember the exact error message, but it had to do with NTFS.sys. About a month ago I had another BSOD from the same situation, but I think it was a different file and error. Something about...
  3. Blue screen sometimes after waking from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen sometimes after waking from sleep mode: I just got a BSOD shortly after waking my computer from sleep mode. I don't remember the exact error message, but it had to do with NTFS.sys. About a month ago I had another BSOD from the same situation, but I think it was a different file and error. Something about...
  4. Windows wakes up HDDs without reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows wakes up HDDs without reason: Hello, I am using a normal Computer Lenovo V530s with Windows 10 as a server in my home network. The power plan is set to power off unused HDD's after short time for power saving.They really should only spin up if someone uses something from them. However Windows does spin up...
  5. Windows wakes up HDDs without reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wakes up HDDs without reason: Hello, I am using a normal Computer Lenovo V530s with Windows 10 as a server in my home network. The power plan is set to power off unused HDD's after short time for power saving.They really should only spin up if someone uses something from them. However Windows does spin up...
  6. Windows wakes up HDDs without reason

7. Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...
  8. Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...
  9. Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

10. Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...