Windows 10: What is Windows looking for when asking for Network Credentials

Discus and support What is Windows looking for when asking for Network Credentials in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't mind this extra level of protection, IF IT WORKED. I have a 2-computer network - my main laptop R-LAPTOP and an older backup laptop C_LAPTOP.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by roninrr2, Jan 17, 2021.

1. roninrr2 Win User

What is Windows looking for when asking for Network Credentials

I don't mind this extra level of protection, IF IT WORKED.

I have a 2-computer network - my main laptop R-LAPTOP and an older backup laptop C_LAPTOP. Just giving you the names in case that are needed. The 2 computer are USB connected through a Kensington Docking station.

Through a lot of maneuvering, I got a new newly installed printer on my main computer available and accessible from my 2nd laptop.

I have an APP/Program TreeSize on my 2nd computer and I am trying to print a report from it on the 1st computer. The funny not really thing is that the networked printer is showing up in my browser and other places, but it is not one of the printers showing up in the TreeSize printer list. However, they do have a network link, through which I can see the new laser printer Brother HL-xxx - but when I try to access the printer is asking me for Network Credentials - sometimes for connection to R-LAPTOP or other times for access to the networked printer the Brother. . ..

Now here is the problem - WHAT IS WINDOWS LOOKING FOR THERE.

I have tried everything - laptop names, \\'s, "\s" with my standard ID and Admin ID and password, email addresses, etc. Once in a while, I get a suggested Example of:

User Name

username@domain

DOMAIN\username

Nothing works. It is IMPOSSIBLE to figure out what Windows is looking for. And then I various Error message popups of User name and password not valid, Do not have correct Credentials, Printer setup is not responding, You do not have the proper credentials to access this printer - and like I said - nothing works - even though i have tired dozens and dozens of combinations.

Also, in the process, I discovered something called the Credential Manager - a really nice looking interface with Web Credentials ad Windows Credentials - But the problem there is that I have no idea what any of the stuff there means or what it is used for.

And yes, there may be a problem in that TreeSize does not offer me access to the networked printer that exists in the System Printers and Devices list - but it does offer access to Network devices AND all of the prompts for Network Credentials are coming from Windows as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know exactly what windows is looking for when asking for Network Credentials while trying to reach my printer on the 1st, main laptop.

ron in shawnee

:)

roninrr2, Jan 17, 2021
  2. RickC Win User

Asking for Network Credentials

Sounds like a 'persistence' issue, i.e. A has the credentials to access B 'stored' with the 'persistent' flag set but B doesn't have the credentials to access A stored persistently (or it's corrupted), hence the request.

Try:

1. Open Credential Manager (in B's Control Panel, i.e. Start > Search > control > Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Credential Manager).
    2. Open Windows Credentials (on the right-hand side).
    3. Search for (and remove) any credential for A (in case it's corrupt).
    4. Use Add a Windows credential to add a new network access credential for A (by entering the network address [e.g. computername], Username and Password then click on the OK button.
    If all goes well, when this completes you can open the credential and should see Persistence: Enterprise mentioned underneath the Password field:

What is Windows looking for when asking for Network Credentials [​IMG]

Hope this helps...

RickC, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Network Credentials - Windows 10

Hi Ford,

On this thread, one of the mentioned reasons why you encounter the networking error is due to an incorrect setup on the credentials. To determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps to resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• How many devices are affected?
    • Are you getting any error messages when connecting to a network? If yes, send us a screenshot.
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

Windows Network Credentials

Hi Keith,

We suggest that you disable Credential Manager before mapping your Drives. Please follow these steps to disable Credential Manager:

• In the search box type “Services
    • Right click on “Services” and select “Run as Administrator
    • In the Services Window, look for Credential Manager Service and click “Stop”.
    • Restart the computer and go back the Credential Manager Service and set it to “Automatic”.
    • Restart the computer again.

Please keep us updated if you were able to map your drives.

Ryan Fra, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

1. What is Windows looking for when asking for Network Credentials - Similar Threads - looking asking Network

2. not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer: Hi guys, this is my current setup.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/share-your-network-printer-c9a152b5-59f3-b6f3-c99f-f39e5bf664c3?WT.mc_id=365AdminCSH_SmcI have a printer Okidata Microline 420 connect to a computer and it's being shared throughout the network. I...
  3. not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer: Hi guys, this is my current setup.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/share-your-network-printer-c9a152b5-59f3-b6f3-c99f-f39e5bf664c3?WT.mc_id=365AdminCSH_SmcI have a printer Okidata Microline 420 connect to a computer and it's being shared throughout the network. I...
  4. not sure what credentials it's asking for when I try to connect to a network printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. windows 10 network issue asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 network issue asking for credentials: I have just reinstalled windows 10 as I was having issues updating. I am now trying to setup a network. I have setup file sharing etc. my network is private. I have turned on network discovery and I have turned off the pin and the need to sign into windows.when I try to...
  6. Asking for Network Credentials

Asking for Network Credentials: I have two machines, A and B. Both run W10 1909 as local accounts. Each have the same user name and are connected to the same private network. Both appear in the other's File Explorer. A can access B but when tries to access A it gets an "Enter Network Credentials" message....
  7. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network: Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs. Is...
  8. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...
  9. What are Network Credentials?

What are Network Credentials?: What is Network Credentials and how are they cancelled? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-network-credentials/3178bf51-79ec-42eb-b1fd-da99c0154015
  10. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...