Windows 10: What is :WofCompressedData?

Discus and support What is :WofCompressedData? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to find out what WofCompressedData means. I have made two posts on answers.microsoft.com, but I've never gotten a clear answer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leftisthominid, Aug 19, 2016.

1. What is :WofCompressedData?

I am trying to find out what WofCompressedData means.

I have made two posts on answers.microsoft.com, but I've never gotten a clear answer (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-b9cb5982f7ce ; http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-a0e92467be5d)

A couple weeks ago, I did a MBAM Threat Scan on my desktop (nothing was found, I actually did a couple over that weekend and the following Monday as well... long story).

During the scan I noticed that a lot of the system files were appended with ":WofCompressedData" (or even with ":WofCompressedData:WofCompressedData") at the end. I wasn't paying close enough attention before, but this was the first time I have noticed it. When I re-ran the scan on my desktop I saw WofCompressedData appear a lot. When I ran the scan on my laptop, I saw WofCompressedData, but far less frequently. Both computers run Windows 10 64-bit and both of them came out to be clean. The MBAM people ran had me run logs, and they couldn't find anything wrong.

I wanted to know what WofCompressedData meant. On the first Answers thread, I was told "WofCompressedData file is a disc fragment file and can be deleted. This is created when virus scan is run on the computer." I asked them to confirm that there as nothing I should be worrying about with these files, but the user never ever returned to respond (and that forum doesn't have a private messaging system)

MBAM and Kaspersky and Microsoft Safety Scanner all do not find any problems on my computer. On the second Answers thread, I was told to run sfc /scannow, but the user there did not respond after replying that SFC did not find any problems.

I wanted to confirm that given all these clean reports that I should not be concerned about the ":WofCompressedData". Unfortunately, no one is giving me a clear answer (or sticking around after I reply)

:)

leftisthominid, Aug 19, 2016
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Aug 19, 2016
  3. what!?!? Win User
    Apps not closing, still running in background

I just got my Lumia 950 phone. On my prior Windows phone, when I pressed the arrow/back button on the bottom left screen, I would exit the app. On Windows 10 phone, I've been doing that and I just realized I'm not exiting the apps. I had intentionally not
    exited an app (because it had my boarding pass). Instead of back button, I pressed the middle window button. Later when I went back to call up my airline app, I pressed the arrow/back button and held it. Similar to my old windows phone, it showed me all the
    apps that were open. SURPRISE! unlike my previous phone, no app had been closing. Right now, I can't seem to find a "one click" way to exit an app. The only way is after I've done a few things, I hold the back button and click the "X" on each of the open items.

Can someone tell me how to exit an app with one click or swipe so that it is not still running, i.e. when I press the back button I will not see it? I'm sure this is something simple. I search the instructions that came with the phone and looked in the
    forum but haven't found the answer.

thanks in advance the assist.

what!?!?, Aug 19, 2016
  4. What is :WofCompressedData?

TairikuOkami, Aug 19, 2016
  5. Hi:

Also, see here.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 19, 2016
  6. Do you think I have anything to be worried about or should I just leave it alone. I see it on both my laptop and desktop, but I find no evidence of viruses or malware on either machine.

My system is not compressed, but I do have System Restore points enabled.

leftisthominid, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is :WofCompressedData?

1. What is :WofCompressedData? - Similar Threads - WofCompressedData

2. Disk 100%, resource monitor shows alot of things with a file path leading to WofCompressedData

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk 100%, resource monitor shows alot of things with a file path leading to WofCompressedData: My pc lags at random points but also lags for a long while on startup and a lot of the high disk usage programs lead to a file path ending with "WofCompressedData". I ran an antivirus scan yesterday with malwarebytes and am wondering if this could have caused it, however i've...
  3. add :WofCompressedData:$DATA at the end of a file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    add :WofCompressedData:$DATA at the end of a file name: Hi, I had to recover some data from a lost partition, however using 2 different programs gave 2 different results. One works fine but it doesn't keep folder structure and file names wich become hard to handle, and the other ones seems to not recover them correctly. Since the...
  4. wofcompresseddata - make it stop!

in Windows 10 Support
    wofcompresseddata - make it stop!: I get a ton of hard drive activity and checking resource monitor, it lists tons of files being accessed by wofcompresseddata. What is this and why is it always running? 127176

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wofcompresseddata