Windows 10: What is wsus windows update services

Discus and support What is wsus windows update services in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What is wsus windows update services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sanyijani, Jul 3, 2021.

1. sanyijani Win User

What is wsus windows update services

:)

sanyijani, Jul 3, 2021
  2. qubit Win User

The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool What is  wsus windows update services :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

What is  wsus windows update services WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

What is  wsus windows update services WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile What is  wsus windows update services :)

What is  wsus windows update services WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

What is  wsus windows update services WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

What is  wsus windows update services WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Jul 3, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 3, 2021
  4. Jizzler Win User

slistream Windows XP and Vista with all updates

Is it a domain network? Can use WDS (Windows Deployment Services) for remote installation and WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) for easy updating. WSUS is basically a local Windows Update server. Through Group Policy you can control how often each machine checks for updates, whether is automatically applies them without user intervention, which ones are allowed/prohibited, etc.

Personally I like that approach because I then only update the installation image every service pack, not for every hotfix/patch. The WSUS server is what keeps every box updated, new install or not, without each machine having to pull the updates from MS individually.

No domain, but still have a lot of boxes to keep updated? Can still use a WSUS server I believe. Could probably even create an automated installation disc that will configure the stations to use yours instead of the default MS Windows Update server.

Jizzler, Jul 3, 2021
Thema:

1. What is wsus windows update services - Similar Threads - wsus update services

2. My WSUS server does not go through WSUS services.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My WSUS server does not go through WSUS services.: Hi guys, hope you are all doing fine.I have an question regarding Microsoft Windows Server 2019.Here in the enviroonment we have several servers running with all his own services.2 dcs 1st one is AD-DS, GPO, DNS etc. 2d one is replication for AD-DS1 sync server with Azure for...
  3. My WSUS server does not go through WSUS services.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My WSUS server does not go through WSUS services.: Hi guys, hope you are all doing fine.I have an question regarding Microsoft Windows Server 2019.Here in the enviroonment we have several servers running with all his own services.2 dcs 1st one is AD-DS, GPO, DNS etc. 2d one is replication for AD-DS1 sync server with Azure for...
  4. WSUS and Definition Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS and Definition Updates: In an environment that uses an application such as Citrix or Horizon and the machines are temporary and therefore do not auto patch through WSUS base image is patched on a regular basis but Defender updates are needed is the proper configuration within WSUS to auto approve...
  5. WSUS and Definition Updates

WSUS and Definition Updates: In an environment that uses an application such as Citrix or Horizon and the machines are temporary and therefore do not auto patch through WSUS base image is patched on a regular basis but Defender updates are needed is the proper configuration within WSUS to auto approve...
  6. WSUS and Definition Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. WSUS not downloading updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS not downloading updates: Hello. Upgrading WSUS server from 2012 to 2019. Everything seems to be working correctly but it when trying to download approved updates, the download fails. We checked firewalls, settings, etc..thoughts? Thanks in advance.....
  8. WSUS not downloading updates

WSUS not downloading updates: Hello. Upgrading WSUS server from 2012 to 2019. Everything seems to be working correctly but it when trying to download approved updates, the download fails. We checked firewalls, settings, etc..thoughts? Thanks in advance.....
  9. WSUS Update URL

WSUS Update URL: Hi, Here's the summary of our problem, hopefully someone can help. We are trying to build a WSUS Update Server for our company, but we found out that one of the URL's for whitelisting is no longer accessible. This was also seconded by our Cybersecurity Team. Is this list...
  10. Migrate update services from intune to Wsus

Migrate update services from intune to Wsus: hello everyone, We have a lot of pc deployed with auto-pilot azure and we would like migrate them update services to a local Wsus, we don't find anything for this in intune configuration except the hybrid deploy for the new pc's and on the web. Do you know a possibility...