Windows 10: What is your CPU Idle temp?

Discus and support What is your CPU Idle temp? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been thinking about this for sometime and was wondering if anyone comes close to my Idle temp. My Idle temp is at 2 Celsius, 35.6 Fahrenheit. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lance1, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Lance1 Win User

What is your CPU Idle temp?

I've been thinking about this for sometime and was wondering if anyone comes close to my Idle temp. My Idle temp is at 2 Celsius, 35.6 Fahrenheit. It would be interesting to see the temp at system Idle on your system?? I also ran a stress test on my CPU and I maxed at 41 Celsius, 105.8 Fahrenheit. AIDA64 stress test It says at post #16 20c but it was cooling down from the test at the time of screenshot so my bad. My screenshot as of now. Sitting at 2c Idle temp.

:)

Lance1, Jun 7, 2021

2. System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

System Idle Process, as the name suggests is a process that indicates CPU is idle and is not being used, aka is at rest. This is done to totalize CPU usage to 100 between the processes.

So you do not have to worry about anything.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 7, 2021
  3. Mysterious intermittent high CPU temps with no active processes - Windows Update related?

Hi there -

TLDR: CPU temps are really high, it isn't a CPU cooler issue and no obvious CPU usage causing it. Out of ideas to fix it.

I am running Windows 10 on a machine with an 6850k and a Corsair H100 AIO cooler. I have the CPU OC'd to 4.1GHz. About 8 or 9 months ago, I noticed that my CPU temps shot up seemingly overnight from 30c - 35c idle to 40c - 50c with the same ambient temp
    of around 20c - 23c. I monitored the CPU usage and never say anything strange or new - system idle remained at 99% and there was an occasional blip of less than 1% overall CPU usage from a combination of Norton, Task Manager, Open hardware manager and a couple
    other minor things. Eventually, the idle temps increased to 50c - 55c with temps hitting 85c - 100c under load. I applied new thermal paste and re-seated the cpu block. Temps dropped about 10c, but then increased again after a few weeks.

Fast forward several months (a week ago). I moved to a new home and when I setup the PC, magically the temps were back to where they should be and stayed that way until today. I've been struggling to get the Windows Update to build 1803 since for almost
    18 months. My snooze option expired last night - as usual, I woke up, turned on the PC this morning (it had shut down while trying to update - I usually leave it running) and everything was still ok (I confirmed that for about the 30th time, the update failed).
    I decided to try to actually fix the problem - did some troubleshooting, followed some suggestions for bios tweaks and installing the update manually - everything failed, so I finally just hid the updating using Microsoft's tool. Now, however, my CPU temps
    are all jacked up again. There are no system processes running at more than 1 or 2% CPU usage. Overall CPU usage fluctuates between .1 and maybe 2.5% while idle.

I'm at a loss.

ConcoursFTW, Jun 7, 2021
  4. BossDweeb Win User

Windows 10 cpu temp over 70c

I agree 50C @ idle is a bit warm for a 3570. Depending on the ambient air temp and the type of

cooler you are using, and if at stock clocks, which I see you are.

I haven't checked my 3570 on a hot day for a while, but believe it hits about 35-40C at idle on the hottest core,

and 60-65 C under full gaming load when ambient air temps hit 30+C (using a Coolermaster Hyper 212EVO cooler).

A bit lower in cooler months.

- I reckon 70C is a bit low for overheat warning though. 80C would be more appropriate with an Intel cpu.

( With my old AMD Phenom 965 it was 65C )

If the history is for your cpu to run at lower temps then it may be developing faults, or it's suffering a common fault with Intel cpu's which is thermal paste Intel uses between the lid and the core has developed a very slight gap.

I also have a 4790 which is notorious for this fault, which makes these, and a few other Intel cpu's run a bit

hotter at idle than desirable. Fortunately this does not seem to affect load temps as much as idle.

- My 4790 still idles below 50C on hot days though. Currently @39C on the hottest core w/ air temp about 20+C

(liquid cooling with the 4790, which is really no better than the Hyper 212EVO that it replaced, btw ).

Have you also checked your fan speed profile has not changed ?

If you have never set up a fan speed profile now may be the time to do so.

I set my fan speed profile so the minimum speed is as high as the fan will go without being too noisy

when not gaming. For me this is generally in the range of 50+ % depending on the fan/cooler.

I start ramping the speed up @50C because the cpu stays below that when not gaming.

- It is desirable to keep the processor as cool as possible, but in regard to performance a low temp is really

only important when over-clocking as you can obviously use higher clocks if the temp stays within a safe range,

and I wouldn't agree that it costs less to keep the cpu cool if it runs cool.

The cpu uses more current at higher clocks, but the temp is not part of that equation.

Higher fan speeds are more about too much noise than higher electricity costs.

BossDweeb, Jun 7, 2021
Thema:

1. What is your CPU Idle temp? - Similar Threads - CPU Idle temp

2. High CPU on idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU on idle: Hi i've a problem since some days.When i start my PC is everything ok, but after some minutes my CPU start working on 30-40% for no reason. I can't verify which program/service in causing this because when i open Task Manager the CPU load immediately drop to normal 1-2 %My...
  3. High CPU on idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU on idle: Hi i've a problem since some days.When i start my PC is everything ok, but after some minutes my CPU start working on 30-40% for no reason. I can't verify which program/service in causing this because when i open Task Manager the CPU load immediately drop to normal 1-2 %My...
  4. High CPU on idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. computer increased idle temps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer increased idle temps: hi there, my cpu idle temps risen from 30c to 40c? could a windows update have caused this? happened after recent updates i think, but not sure which updates would cause this. when i game the temps will reach almost 70c on the cpu, and the max for my cpu is 72c. i think this...
  6. Ryzen 3600 Idle Temps.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ryzen 3600 Idle Temps.: Is it just me or does the Ryzen 3600 run a bit warm? Mine fluctuates between 40C-50C at idle and I don't know if I should be worried or not. It's at stock settings and cooled by a Dark Rock 4. I'm even considering sending the DR4 back and replacing it with a Arctic Liquid...
  7. BSOD - Normal cpu temps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Normal cpu temps: This has happened twice so far, and before my csgo has been randomly crashing. Ive had my cpu temps and gpu temps open on seperate monitors and the temperatures were all normal. Idk where to start in trying to fix this, and I need to fix it quickly because I play csgo...
  8. Speccy Report. What Are Your Temps At?

in Windows 10 Support
    Speccy Report. What Are Your Temps At?: Just built my new system.. "Used" Love to my Son that gave me the CPU GPU and Main Board and RAM. I Put my existing RAM in so no change. "Check My Spics" On boot my GPU fans weren't spinning so WTF. I downloaded the latest 2020 version and was able to get them spinning again....
  9. CPU Temp Questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU Temp Questions: Hi All I checked with RealTemp GT (believe is multi core part of it) was going up to the High 70's and 80's, Ambient Temp of apartment around 75F (room doesn't feel hot to myself, just comfy) Running Windows Defender for moment, (not sure if that could raise the temps or...
  10. CPU Temp Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU Temp Monitor: Is there CPU Temp Monitor, like CoreTemp, that supports AMD Ryzen? 81760