Windows 10: What kind of router do I get for maxium wired speed?

Discus and support What kind of router do I get for maxium wired speed? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So if i connect my PCs ethernet cable directly to my modem I get about 300mb download. If I connect my modems ethertnet cable to my router (old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by McSweg, Jun 4, 2019.

1. McSweg Win User

What kind of router do I get for maxium wired speed?

So if i connect my PCs ethernet cable directly to my modem I get about 300mb download.

If I connect my modems ethertnet cable to my router (old router) and then my PC ethernet cable connecting to my router. I get about 70mb download.

I know my router is outdated and old but what kind of router i can get to achieve 250+mb downloads?

my router supports 300mb max

:)

McSweg, Jun 4, 2019
  2. ziffel Win User

Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

I have a Docsis 3.0 motorola modem (provided by Spectrum). If I connect the ethernet from the modem direct to my PC, i immediately get full bandwidth, 120 Mbps, on all speedtests (fast.com etc). However, if I first go to my router, then ethernet to the PC, the speed drops to around 55 or 60 Mb. An important note here is that this combo has worked fine for several years. Same modem, same ethernet cable, same router. (I say that because it illustrates the older router, cable, and modem are capable of full my full bandwidth) This issue just popped up yesterday (Apr 20)

The oddity here is that purchasing and trying a brand new router with all the latest tech renders the exact same results. 55 to 60 Mb speed. The tests are very very consistent. Always the same each time, no variation. Same goes for wiring direct from modem to PC. Always 120 Mb.

The upload speed is always 100% good. Both direct to PC and through both routers, 12 Mb up.

The 55-60 speed (wired) is consistent on 3 different PC's in the house. Two are Win10, one is an older Win7 laptop. And I got that speed on the other PC's with the new router as well.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• rebooting modem & router & PC (several times each)
    • different ethernet cable from modem to router and to PC (same results)
    • 2nd, brand new router (same results)
    • disconnected all wires from modem (coax, ethernet, power) and re-connected
    • read through this thread. My symptom is similar, (120 --> 60 drop, download only), however I don't think it's relevant, because I get full speed as I should if I go direct from modem to PC ethernet in. If it were a software issue, I would think that would persist direct wired or via a router. Either way, none of the fixes in that thread helped me.
    • updated older router's firmware to latest, though even that update was from 4 years ago.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

ziffel, Jun 4, 2019
  3. Slow Download Speed

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

• I would suggest you to test the speed using any of the speed test website or app to confirm the upload and download speed.
    • I also suggest you to reset the wireless router to check if that helps.
    • You may plug in the Ethernet cable if available and check the speed.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jun 4, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

1. What kind of router do I get for maxium wired speed? - Similar Threads - kind router maxium

2. What kind of virus is this and what should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What kind of virus is this and what should I do?: For a few months now, I've had this issue which Im almost 100% sure is caused by a virus. About 20 minutes after I start my pc, a command window opens, then closes itself. Windows security says I have a Trojan virus, then says there's nothing there. After this, if I use edge...
  3. What kind of virus is this and what should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What kind of virus is this and what should I do?: For a few months now, I've had this issue which Im almost 100% sure is caused by a virus. About 20 minutes after I start my pc, a command window opens, then closes itself. Windows security says I have a Trojan virus, then says there's nothing there. After this, if I use edge...
  4. My laptop recognizes wired connection, but the speed is the same as wifi, what do i do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop recognizes wired connection, but the speed is the same as wifi, what do i do?: I usually use wired connection on my laptop, but a few days ago, my ethernet speed went drastically down, and now is the same as wifi. My laptop recognizes the ehternet cable, but its like its not connected, I used to get 60mb/s when downloading something, but now its at...
  5. My laptop recognizes wired connection, but the speed is the same as wifi, what do i do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop recognizes wired connection, but the speed is the same as wifi, what do i do?: I usually use wired connection on my laptop, but a few days ago, my ethernet speed went drastically down, and now is the same as wifi. My laptop recognizes the ehternet cable, but its like its not connected, I used to get 60mb/s when downloading something, but now its at...
  6. Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wired In Connection on a modem router Combo: i need immediate assistance trying to get my my ethernet cable to work on my computer it doesnt connect at all and i have XTREME mediacom high speed internet. i tried uninstalling and re installing the drivers and it isnt working. any forward knowledge on troubleshooting...
  7. What kind of Windows 10 do I buy?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What kind of Windows 10 do I buy?: Hello everyone, Currently I am running a non activated version of Windows 10 on my PC. My old laptop had Windows 10 but the key obviously wouldn't work for my new PC. I was thinking of purchasing Windows 10 from a third-party website but I don't know which one to buy. Would...
  8. What kind of internet connection do I have?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What kind of internet connection do I have?: I want to have Advanced SystemCare Ultimate to optimize my network settings but I don't know what connection type I should put that I have, he options the program gives are: LAN, DSL, FIOS, or Wireless? there isn't a 'cable' option. I have Time Warner Cable cable...
  9. What kind of speeds should I be getting when downloading to a share?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What kind of speeds should I be getting when downloading to a share?: When I download files directly to my server, it's way slower than downloading to a local drive. What usually happens is that the download begins at a really quick speed, but then plummets. Once in a while, it'll jump back up to a tolerable speed (e.g., above 3 MB/s), but it...
  10. Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Speed drop if going through a router, fine if wired direct from modem: I have a Docsis 3.0 motorola modem (provided by Spectrum). If I connect the ethernet from the modem direct to my PC, i immediately get full bandwidth, 120 Mbps, on all speedtests (fast.com etc). However, if I first go to my router, then ethernet to the PC, the speed drops to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. maxium speed of one access router