Windows 10: What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store?

Discus and support What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I'm considering assembling a new desktop PC by acquiring the parts separately - a "build" . Assuming I do that and it goes OK, I'll need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hemlock40a, Oct 25, 2017.

1. What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store?

Hello.
    I'm considering assembling a new desktop PC by acquiring the parts separately - a "build" . Assuming I do that and it goes OK, I'll need to install an OS of course.

If I purchase Win 10 PRO through the Microsoft store and choose the USB option, does anyone know what level of Win 10 I would get; i.e., is the USB created at the time of the order from the then current release or...?

I'm stuck with using a cell carrier as an ISP and the contract has a data cap and throttling. The hope is that by ordering the USB, I could avoid a multi-GB download, but if the USB is back-level, I might be faced with that anyway, depending on how far back.

I tried a chat with the MS Store a few minutes ago and the responder said it "would be the latest release, which is 1607" (emphasis mine).
    I ended the chat and came here.

Thank you.

:)

hemlock40a, Oct 25, 2017

2. Just purchased Windows 10 on a usb, how do I get my computer to boot from usb

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Watch the screen as you boot for something like Setup/Settings or CMOS/BIOS which is often F2, DEL, ESC, or other keys. Some systems have a one-time boot option such as F12. So you would need to use one of those methods to change the boot sequence to USB first.

Check with the System Maker's Support, on-line documentation, or forums for methods.

More here ;

How to Boot From a USB Device

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-boot-from-a-usb...

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wik...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Just purchased Windows 10 on a usb, how do I get my computer to boot from usb

how do I get my computer to boot from a purchased Windows 10 usb drive

Thomas_Bird, Oct 25, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store?

It's hard to tell exactly what you would get. Hopefully it would at least be the Creators Update. That should be version 1703. If you get 1607, you are still on the anniversary update.

The most important thing with your purchase from Microsoft is to get the license for the software. You can use the Media Creation Tool on your own to get the latest version of the software. Which is now 1709. Getting the ISO from the Media Creation Tool (MCT) and making your own installable USB key is a piece of cake.

pparks1, Oct 25, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Except the OP doesn't want to do a 5 GB download due to his cell phone data plan limit.

@hemlock40a, can you have a friend download and create an up to date Windows 10 USB flash drive for you?

NavyLCDR, Oct 25, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Seems like the store should tell you what build it is currently selling.

Ztruker, Oct 26, 2017
  7. You would think? Assuming he or she actually knows what they are doing. *Wink

alphanumeric, Oct 26, 2017
  8. What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store?

I thought they would know until I asked them (see above).

My wife socializes with friends in the nearest city. If any of them have a cable plan with no caps/throttling, then the option mentioned by
    NavyLCDR might be viable. Ill look into that when the time comes.

Thank you all for your attention and replies.

hemlock40a, Oct 26, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    D'oh...not sure how I missed that critical element.

To the OP, if you get an old version I could make up a 4GB key for you and ship it out. Cost would be minimal.

pparks1, Oct 26, 2017
  10. Switching to USB install media seems like a good idea for Microsoft. I can see why they did it. For one, you would need a dual layer DVD to accommodate the current ISO size. And not every device has an optical drive, let alone older PC's that don't have a dual layer drive. The downside is the Microsoft supplied drives are read only. That is done so they can't get corrupted or infected with malware. The downside is, with the current quick update cycle they soon become outdated. You'll have to install then upgrade to the newest build. Not ideal IMHO. In a year or so you'll have an outdated thumb drive that can't be updated or repurposed. Just my 2 cents.
    The last time I went into a retail outlet and looked at the Boxed Windows offerings, that's all they were. Empty display boxes with little actual info on them as to the exact version of Windows 10 they were for. Just Edition info, Home Pro etc.

11. As mentioned though, your really paying for the Product Code. Which is good for any current builds and any future builds. You only really need to use it once to get your Digital License. Once you have that you can skip entering a key on a clean install.

12. pparks1 Win User
    Actually, the new Fall Creators Update is under 4GB.

pparks1, Oct 27, 2017
  13. What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store?

This time around they are smaller. My MSDN ISO is 4,587,268 KB. They may have been listening to complaints about the size, and having to use a DL DVD. I haven't used optical media to install Windows in a long time. I can remember having to switch from 4 gig to 8 gig thumb drives though with Windows 8.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store?

1. What level of Win 10 do I get on a purchased USB via the MS Store? - Similar Threads - level purchased USB

2. Anime purchased through MS Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anime purchased through MS Store: Team, With the merger of funimation and crunchyroll what will happen to the anime library I've purchased over the past years? As funimation is ending its digital forever catalog will MS be refunding all purchases at their full purchase price or will the anime anime be...
  3. Anime purchased through MS Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anime purchased through MS Store: Team, With the merger of funimation and crunchyroll what will happen to the anime library I've purchased over the past years? As funimation is ending its digital forever catalog will MS be refunding all purchases at their full purchase price or will the anime anime be...
  4. Help with MS Store purchased APP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with MS Store purchased APP: After multiple times loading and resetting Windows 11, because I DO NOT/DID NOT!! want Microsoft OneDrive, I finally just created a new MS account and put a "cancel" on my old one. I had purchased PhotoScape X Pro recently from the MS Store when I was on the screwed up old MS...
  5. I own Bloons TD5 on MS Store and get this error, what do I do?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I own Bloons TD5 on MS Store and get this error, what do I do?: Bloons TD5 is currently not available in your account. Make sure you are signed in to the Store and try again. Here’s the error code, in case you need it: 0x803F8001...
  6. Sharing MS Store purchases with family

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Sharing MS Store purchases with family: I purchased a copy of Minecraft with my parent account and was told that it could be shared with family members on my PC however I don't see an option to install it on my child account when I login. Can you tell me how I can do this?...
  7. How do I download a purchased copy of Windows 10 Pro, purchased from the MS Store?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I download a purchased copy of Windows 10 Pro, purchased from the MS Store?: I paid for a copy of MS Windows 10 Pro, purchased from the MS Store. But it will not allow me to download it, there is no icon to click, no other instructions. It shows up on my purchased items list, but they did not send it, I can not download it, and they never have given...
  8. Upgraded Win 10 home to Win 10 PRO via MS store $99 last year. Just Purchased new PC win...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded Win 10 home to Win 10 PRO via MS store $99 last year. Just Purchased new PC win...: 2019, I purchased new laptop with windows 10 home preinstalled. I paid 99 to upgrade to windows 10 pro. I just purchased another new laptop that again has windows preinstalled. I would like to deactivate the win 10 pro on my older 2019 laptop and use the already...
  9. Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery USB---what else do I need? Win 10: Running Windows 10. Almost had a disaster last night. Blue screen indicating something like, "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart." NTFS filesystem. Then got this over and over along with "Preparing automatic Repair". "Start up Repair" (didn't work). I couldn't...
  10. What am I doing wrong in trying to boot via USB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What am I doing wrong in trying to boot via USB?: I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 ultrabook, it's just over a year old. I have made a bootable Windows 8.1 USB flash drive. My aim is to dual boot it with Windows 10. However, I'm not having any luck booting from it. I have read several websites regarding booting & setting a priority in...