Windows 10: What lowers your ping? Modem or router or cables or ISP? or all above?

Discus and support What lowers your ping? Modem or router or cables or ISP? or all above? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a ac2600 at the moment. should i buy a Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300 or XR500 Gaming Router does it really lower ping and make a difference?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by McSweg, Jun 11, 2019.

1. McSweg Win User

What lowers your ping? Modem or router or cables or ISP? or all above?

I have a ac2600 at the moment.

should i buy a
    Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR300

or

XR500 Gaming Router

does it really lower ping and make a difference? what exactly lowers your ping? sometimes i see peoples speedtest speeds showing "1 ping"

:)

McSweg, Jun 11, 2019
  2. Darren Win User

Wireless cable modem/router/firewall

can someone recommend me a wireless router with built in cable modem. Most of the devices ive seen are equiped with ADSL modems!

required features

• Wireless
    • firewall
    • router
    • Built in cable modem
    • fully telewest/blueyonder compatible

Darren, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Modems, routers, and lag.

Modems connect to the internet

Routers Route the internet to individual devices ie Pc / tablet /phone /consul
    sometimes ( most these days ) these functions are combined into one device as in Modem router

Is it a ISP Supplied equipment or Privatly owned
    +

yes if its owned by your Landlord and they give you permission
    Suggest a suitable one FOR THEM To BUY

For curtsy sake if you do replace the modem/router show the landlord where in the modem/router various passwords are set and allow them the privacy to set the passwords they need such as modem/router log on details. then go through the various options and settings with the landlord

you don't need the log on details for the modem router after its been set up all you need is the wireless key/encryption details

dorsetknob, Jun 11, 2019
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Is there a difference between plugging my Ethernet cable into the modem or into the router?

If you're using an Ethernet cable, it doesn't matter whether your router or modem is closer to your computer. Distance only matters for WiFi.

A modem and a router are two separate things. A modem is what enables you to connect to the internet. A router lets you share your internet connection among multiple devices..

If you only have one computer you don't need a router so you could plug your computer directly into your modem. However, even if you only have a single computer, many people like to place a router between their computer and their modem to take advantage
    of the security features that a router provides.

While we're on the topic: Your internet speed is determined by your ISP. There is nothing that Windows can do to make your internet speed faster than what your ISP provides.

BulldogXX, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

1. What lowers your ping? Modem or router or cables or ISP? or all above? - Similar Threads - lowers ping Modem

2. Connection Issues to one of my ISP/Modem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connection Issues to one of my ISP/Modem: Hi friends, I bought a new laptop just around 10 days ago & for the past 3 days - I seem to be having issues connecting to my main ISP, which is connected through D-Link modem, especially when I boot my system. It shows connected but not connected/no connection available....
  3. Use modem/router combo as router only

Use modem/router combo as router only: I purchased an Arris SURFboard SBG6700-AC (modem/wifi combo) several years ago. I moved to another city with a different ISP. The cable guy could not get this to communicate with his cable system. There is an 80-year-old woman (neighbor) who has internet but no wifi. I bought...
  4. No internet, Secured switched ISP and router

No internet, Secured switched ISP and router: I recently switched ISP from RCN to Xfinity. They swapped out the router as well. Before the switch, i was able to connect to wifi with no issues on my pc. However, once i switched I am able to access wifi on every device except my pc. I am using OS: Windows 10 64bit...
  5. Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router

Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router: I am thinking of converting to NBN service in Australia. However, my setup at the moment is single box ADSL modem with a switching router, which I connect my equipment to its LAN ports. With the new NBN standalone modem, how do I connect to the existing switch router...
  6. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  7. You can't manually update your NETGEAR cable modem routers firmware

You can't manually update your NETGEAR cable modem routers firmware: Wasn't sure if this belonged in Network and Sharing or Drivers and Hardware so General it is. I have been wondering about this for a long time. Why don't they want you doing this on your own. We can screw up software/ hardware in so many different ways what's the problem with...
  8. Unable to connect to Cable Modem

Unable to connect to Cable Modem: I have an issue with my Windows 10 PC not connecting to my cable modem by ethernet cable. I connect the PC to the modem and all I get is "unidentified network - no internet", yet my laptop connects to the modem by ethernet (I'm using it now) just fine. I've tried everything I...
  9. Nightly reset for modem and router.

Nightly reset for modem and router.: Is it ok to do nightly resets on my router and modem? Im making "network closet" which will hold my Nighthawk x6 and surfboard modem. I never thought about resetting them on a nightly basic tell now. this way i can flush them fresh every morning. or is this pointless? 89858
  10. Problems with Motorola MG7310 modem/router

Problems with Motorola MG7310 modem/router: Good evening. This may be a simple problem, but I'm not good at troubleshooting by text *Smile My friend was looking for a net modem so I suggested she get the Motorola MG7310 modem/router combo. She originally had a Time Warner modem. She is currently on the 30Mb...