Windows 10: What makes a display active?

Discus and support What makes a display active? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm trying to hook up multiple monitors to my Windows 10 laptop. So far the best I've been able to do is to have two external monitors going without my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by T Frasier, Nov 24, 2019.

1. T Frasier Win User

What makes a display active?

I'm trying to hook up multiple monitors to my Windows 10 laptop. So far the best I've been able to do is to have two external monitors going without my docking station. The docking station is a Dell pro3x. What's frustrating is that the system will see all four screens but when I try to bring one of the additional ones online and tells me that that screen is inactive even though it can pull up L the monitors characteristics and Technical settings.

The most success I've had is by shutting off the laptop screen I'm going with monitors 2 and 3 then I get stuck somewhere there because they don't do that but I can't go beyond that.

:)

T Frasier, Nov 24, 2019

2. Making a monitor a primary Display whilst keeping the other one.

Hi James,

We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I would like to ask some questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your laptop?
    • Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

I suggest you to update the Display drivers by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Jetster Win User
    Laptop display question

Confusing statement! You want to change the display on your laptop that died?

Is that correct?

How do you know its the display that's bad?

Just google "how to change display on a acer 5745"

Should get you to step by step instructions. But first make sure its the display that's bad

Jetster, Nov 24, 2019
  4. What makes a display active?

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

What makes a display active?

1. What makes a display active? - Similar Threads - makes display active

2. "Make this my main display" Bugging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Make this my main display" Bugging: I have 2 monitors, my laptop's and an external one. I set them to extend, and my laptop's monitor gets set to "main display" by itself. My cursor is stuck in my secondary display and it wont go to the other display. This happens only when I set it to extend. I am currently...
  3. What makes Windows activate automatically?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What makes Windows activate automatically?: Hello everyone.I hope you're all doing well. I have no idea what's going on, but... my Windows is activating the license automatically.The steps to reproduce the problem are as follows:1. Install a clean copy of Windows;2. During the initial configuration, continue with a...
  4. What makes Windows activate automatically?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What makes Windows activate automatically?: Hello everyone.I hope you're all doing well. I have no idea what's going on, but... my Windows is activating the license automatically.The steps to reproduce the problem are as follows:1. Install a clean copy of Windows;2. During the initial configuration, continue with a...
  5. How do i make display 2 active?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i make display 2 active?: [ATTACH] so I have just ran into this problem and I cant seem to find a resolution to it, everything was working fine the other day and now my pc will only show one display at a time, if I power off display 1 display 2 will activate but that's the only way it will work...
  6. Make display fit the screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make display fit the screen: I'm using an ATVIO TV which has no windows driver that I know of and the display is off the screen, so I can't easily click the Start button. How can it be adjusted? Thanks - rev...
  7. Recent Activities Display

Recent Activities Display: Is it possible in Windows 10 to not show recent activity in Windows Explorer while keeping the lists of recent files for apps in the task bar? John49 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recent-activities-display/b08b5b56-5f38-4074-8fa5-f115a71688bf
  8. What a difference fibre makes!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What a difference fibre makes!: I live in an urban area with dense housing. The estate is huge with thousands of properties, and starting a few months ago, we had Virgin Fibre installed in all the streets. Last Friday, the fibre was extended to the house and a fitter installed the rest inside. I opted for...
  9. Display 1 Not Active

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display 1 Not Active: As of Wednesday this week, the 19th, one of displays is not functioning properly after a windows update. The display goes black and not able to connect via display port but HDMI works fine. I check the settings and it reads the monitor as connected but not active, Display...
  10. Display Not Active

Display Not Active: Why is one of my displays not active? This occurred after removing my laptop from its docking station. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-not-active/761e1049-c739-4e3c-9a6c-2195b0684643