Windows 10: What makes folders with really long names like 0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff and can I...

Discus and support What makes folders with really long names like 0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff and can I... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a number of seemingly empty folders in my C: drive with really long names such as: 0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff What is making these folders?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NeilWills, Nov 22, 2020.

1. NeilWills Win User

What makes folders with really long names like 0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff and can I...

I have a number of seemingly empty folders in my C: drive with really long names such as:

0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff

What is making these folders?

Can I stop them from being made?

What is their purpose?

Can they be deleted safely?

Only one of my machines generate these folders, but I can't see what the difference is between each machine is to cause this.

I would welcome your collective thoughts.

Regards

N

:)

NeilWills, Nov 22, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Lost a REALLY IMPORTANT folder

Hi Tanya,

We'd like to know a few things to understand this better and help you recover the missing folder. Please answer these questions:

• Did you lose it after upgrading to Windows 10?
    • How long has it been since you installed Windows 10 on the computer?
    Windows 10 does not apply changes or remove personal files without your permission. We suggest you restore the previous version of the folder or drive that used to contain the files you are looking for. Refer to this

page
    for the steps.

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards.

Ruz San, Nov 22, 2020
  4. What makes folders with really long names like 0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff and can I...

Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

What makes folders with really long names like 0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff and can I...

1. What makes folders with really long names like 0dc4716ae58ff7cf5b0053191dff and can I... - Similar Threads - makes folders really

2. what can i really do now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what can i really do now: Hi my name is horace randy holt. i have been goin through identtity theft and fraud also id say issues stemming from people fooling the system or authorities but mainly thermselves by sayingg they are helping people but seemingly themselves or sabatoging a person. i aint that...
  3. what can i really do now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what can i really do now: Hi my name is horace randy holt. i have been goin through identtity theft and fraud also id say issues stemming from people fooling the system or authorities but mainly thermselves by sayingg they are helping people but seemingly themselves or sabatoging a person. i aint that...
  4. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  5. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long for destination folder: I have a parent folder containing multiple subfolders 100+ within. Every folder name is well under 256 characters. I need to transfer this particular parent folder regularly between my computer drives and have had no issue initially. However out of the blue I start receiving...
  6. File name too long for destination folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Can't delete folders with long path names

Can't delete folders with long path names: I copied some folders onto a work computer into the "My Documents" directory.I didn't realize it but the directory is actually connected to OneDrive, as in it synchronizes to it. The actual folder path is something like:"C:\Users\FirstName.LastName\OneDrive - Company with a...
  8. Weird folders with long names

Weird folders with long names: So, since I have online classes, every day I use my laptop. Now, I've noticed that there are some weird folders with long names. Those names are: 3b6cb7df377683c56a62673d, 7742a23c06995f3a8408128c99427f8e, 6200093cbffe94c485458e, 15632226b3793987f8306e9a84d5,...
  9. How can you tell if a website is really what it claims to be? (Like how can I tell that...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can you tell if a website is really what it claims to be? (Like how can I tell that...: I've been noticing A LOT of fake websites with "free" offers and the like...How can you tell if a website is really what it claims to be? (Like how can I tell that Microsoft.com is really Microsoft?) If you use any specific programs, please recommend them. Thank you in...
  10. What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show...

What can I do to make primary folders like Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. properly show...: Downloads is the worst folder for the bad behavior, but that's likely because I usually have quite a few files there. Sometimes I've had to wait as long as two minutes just to properly view the contents. It's all about waiting for the green progress bar. I often find...