Windows 10: What partition should be active on Disk 0 ?

Discus and support What partition should be active on Disk 0 ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I assumed it would be the partition labeled System, But the Recovery partition has system in brackets, and i noticed that most have the one with system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by randomize, Apr 13, 2020.

1. randomize Win User

What partition should be active on Disk 0 ?

I assumed it would be the partition labeled System, But the Recovery partition has system in brackets, and i noticed that most have the one with system in brackets active. I know logically you wouldnt put the recovery as active. but im thinking it labeled wrong, and the recovery is the system, since in brackets it says system right below it? ill post a picture. I have the System partition active. but im terrified to reboot, since, the Recovery has system in brackets below it.

My Windows 10 version is Build 17618.1000

What partition should be active on Disk 0 ? [​IMG]

And when i use bcdedit in command prompt its tells me this info, ill post pic below. I assume i should have the Disk 0 Volume 4 as my Active, since it tells me Bootmgr is in that volume?

What partition should be active on Disk 0 ? [​IMG]

:)

randomize, Apr 13, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Apr 13, 2020
  3. Disk Management and setting partition Active

cmd prompt admin

diskpart

selet disk=0

list partition

select partition (select G partition number)

set as active

you may want to read the help under diskpart

OctavianQR, Apr 13, 2020
  4. FX-GMC Win User

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

1. What partition should be active on Disk 0 ? - Similar Threads - partition should active

2. What's the use of disk 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the use of disk 0: I've searched for so long but still haven't got an answer, my disk 0 has 1tb unallocated space but I can't use it, I tried to new simple volume it but it was just grey, I know nothing about computers but I'm supposed to have 1tb but only have 118gb usable storage, what's the...
  3. What's the use of disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the use of disk 0: I've searched for so long but still haven't got an answer, my disk 0 has 1tb unallocated space but I can't use it, I tried to new simple volume it but it was just grey, I know nothing about computers but I'm supposed to have 1tb but only have 118gb usable storage, what's the...
  4. Multiple Empty Disk 0 Partitions, problem? Required?

Multiple Empty Disk 0 Partitions, problem? Required?: I was looking into seeing if I could create a virtual dvd drive to use .iso files with, and stumbled upon these varying partitions. From what I looked up in other questions they're used by the laptop to recover starting programs and such should something occur, and my...
  5. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  6. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1: I want to update my windows to windows 11 from windows 10. To do this I need to use the mbr2gpt tool, but I have an error because my c drive is on an ssd drive 1 and my system reserved partition boot files is on the hdd which is on drive 0 . I tried to use bcdboot to move the...
  7. Move system partition from disk 0 to disk 1

8. disk 0 active time 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    disk 0 active time 100%: my pc is slow, and spends a lot of time with disk 0 active time at 100%. is there anything to do about this? what do you need to know? i've used windows performance recorder for 30s, and the results are here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlydyVjRnQ8hsH-cr90YDZX1e9vh?e=UDtdqB...
  9. Disk 0 (C:) 100% activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk 0 (C:) 100% activity: When I restart my computer, and at various times after it has been running for a while, the C: drive activity goes to 100% for long periods of time, resulting in very slow performance. It is a dual quad core computer with 12 GBs of ram. Running the latest Windows 10 Home...
  10. What is an active partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is an active partition?: hi again, By accident I've partitioned my external HHD as active (by fiddling around with the Disk Manager), and it seems I can't undo it. Can that cause any damage to the bootup? I hope not. My system should boot up from the C: drive, as far as I know, and C: is an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which partition should be active partition

2. diskpart boot disk should be disk 0