Windows 10: What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?

Discus and support What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am trying to set up shared drives on my WORKGROUP, but after one of the latest Windows updates, it has started asking for us for a username and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Scott M. Stolz, Apr 21, 2024.

1. What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?

I am trying to set up shared drives on my WORKGROUP, but after one of the latest Windows updates, it has started asking for us for a username and password to access other computers on the network. That is fine, except it rejects correct passwords. We tried the computer user's PIN and we have tried the user's Microsoft account password, neither work. So what password does it want?I have verified that sharing is enabled, network discovery is enabled, that it is on the same WiFi/ethernet network same router and in the same WORKGROUP. I have verified that you can log in locally with the PIN, and

:)

Scott M. Stolz, Apr 21, 2024
  2. Arun B J Win User

C: Drive Admin Share Keeps Enabling

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +E,

• Right click on C: drive.

• Select Sharing Tab.

• Click on Advanced Sharing.

• Uncheck “Share this folder”.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Apr 21, 2024
  3. Windows 11 Probling with maping a network drive.

Hello,

Certainly! Here are the steps to map a network drive using File Explorer in Windows 11:

1. Open File Explorer:
      • Press Windows key + E on your keyboard to open File Explorer.
    2. Navigate to “This PC”:
      • Click on “This PC” in the left pane.
    3. Access the “Map Network Drive” Option:
      • Click the “More options” (three dots) button in the command bar.
      • Select the “Map network drive” option.
    4. Assign a Drive Letter:
      • Use the “Drive” dropdown menu to select the drive letter you want to assign.
      • In the “Folder” field, enter the network path to the shared folder. Alternatively, click the “Browse” button to select the folder you want to map as a network drive.
      • Click “Finish” to complete the assignment.
    5. Enter Login Credentials:
      • When the mapped network drive opens, enter your login ID and password if prompted.
    Following these steps will allow you to map a network drive using File Explorer in Windows 11. Remember to use the IP address instead of the computer name if you can’t connect to the shared folder. Additionally, if the resource-providing device uses a password-less Microsoft account, you’ll need to create a local account to establish the connection, as mapping won’t work otherwise.

If it is helpful, could you please select "Yes" about "Was this reply helpful?".

I hope you will solve the problem. And, if you still have problems, feel free to ask us here.

Best regards,

Hiroki Terada, Apr 21, 2024
  4. Isha Soni Win User

What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?

Windows 10 share always asks for password

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

I would like to know;

• Do you have any other user account or is the issue specific to your user account?
    • Are you able to share after password ?
    Since you have already tried the logical troubleshooting, I would suggest you to make change in the group policy and check the issue. Refer the link below:

Note: The link is for Windows 7 however the same steps has been tested on Windows 10.

Refer Shaon Shan's suggestion:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...till-require-password?forum=w7itpronetworking

Hope this information is helpful. Please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Apr 21, 2024
Thema:

What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?

1. What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives? - Similar Threads - password does shared

2. What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What password does Windows 11 want for shared drives?: I am trying to set up shared drives on my WORKGROUP, but after one of the latest Windows updates, it has started asking for us for a username and password to access other computers on the network. That is fine, except it rejects correct passwords. We tried the computer user's...
  3. Windows 11 Home does NOT permit File, Folder or Drive Sharing no matter what I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home does NOT permit File, Folder or Drive Sharing no matter what I do?: I have a Dell 7700 All-in-One PC which runs Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2, OS Build 22621.2070 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0I have never been able to set up a share on any file, folder or drive. When I launch File Explorer and right click on any of...
  4. Windows 11 Home does NOT permit File, Folder or Drive Sharing no matter what I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Home does NOT permit File, Folder or Drive Sharing no matter what I do?: I have a Dell 7700 All-in-One PC which runs Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2, OS Build 22621.2070 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0I have never been able to set up a share on any file, folder or drive. When I launch File Explorer and right click on any of...
  5. What username/password does Windows 10 use for hosting shared folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What username/password does Windows 10 use for hosting shared folders?: My account was a local account with no password that was later switched to a Microsoft account. I tried to log in with my Windows username + MS password and my email address + my MS password. Both failed. What do I do? submitted by /u/OverseerCave [link] [comments]...
  6. Advanced startup menu is asking for a password, what does it want?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Advanced startup menu is asking for a password, what does it want?: I'm trying to solve some problems and am using advanced startup menu to get to a command prompt. When I try this, I select my email address and then it asks for a password. What password does it want? The pin fails and my microsoft account password also fails. Is there...
  7. Advanced startup menu, what password does it want?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced startup menu, what password does it want?: I'm trying to boot to a command prompt using the advanced startup menu. I select my account (email address) then it insists on a password. I've tried my pin and my microsoft password and both are rejected. What does it want, or how can I get around this? submitted by...
  8. Windows 10 wants password to access shared computer - Shared computer requires no password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wants password to access shared computer - Shared computer requires no password: PC "A" is set to share with no password requirement. PC "A" also has a printer that is set to share on network. Other PCs on network can access computer "A" and print to computer "A" printer. New Windows 10 PC, "B" can't access "A". Computer "B" asks for password when...
  9. What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires?: Hi! I am trying to figure this out, but can not find any definite answers. I have a non-domain joined server with a share. And a user that has access to map that share. This user does not have "Password never expires" enabled. From my Client computer, I map up this...
  10. Password for Shared Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Password for Shared Drive: Win 10 recently did update. Since then I have been asked for a password to access a shared folder on our other computer. I don't know what password it wants. I have been using this shared folder for months, maybe years without a password. Where can I find it, change it,...