Windows 10: What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on...

Discus and support What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Every time I walk away from my computer for even 5 DANN MINUTES, I have to log in. This happens EVERY TIME I walk away from my computer (I run on... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by JenniferFeher, Apr 13, 2019.

1. What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on...

Every time I walk away from my computer for even 5 DANN MINUTES, I have to log in. This happens EVERY TIME I walk away from my computer (I run on Windoze 10 on my HP laptop), and I'm SICK OF DOING THIS EVERY 5 MINUTES. I should only have to log in ONCE, and THAT'S IT until I reboot my computer. My computer is set on "never" for putting my computer to sleep. What "path" do I take to "uncheck" this option to get my computer to stop having me log in ten times a day? Please give me SPECIFIC STEPS to follow to do this. Thank you. JLF

:)

JenniferFeher, Apr 13, 2019

2. Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

Hi Yashwanth Kotakuri,

Thanks for your quick reply. Problems is I have already performed the steps you outline 3 times, (including re-boot), without resolve.

Thus I write here in hopes to find out why.

History, this machine was an updrade to Win 10 from Win 7. In Win 7 the settings were to require a password on waking from sleep.

I performed the steps you have outlined thinking it would overwrite the Win 7 settings however it did not.

In an email received from Microsoft Community on Sun 24/04/16 02:31 stating the same information received from Kotakuri above.

From: Microsoft Community [L: mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Sent: 24 April 2016 2:31 AM

To: L:
    *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Subject: Reply marked as answer: Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

I attempt to reply by standard email including attached screen snaps however that email failed.

My reply excluding attachments:

From: David Horton [mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Sent: 24 April 2016 10:25 AM

To: 'Microsoft Community'

Subject: RE: Reply marked as answer: Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

Hello

Again I try the steps suggested without success:

* Press Windows key, type
    Power Options and select same from the list.

• This step does nothing more than bringing up the start menu.
    • So I chose Start\Settings then type
      Power Options and select same from the list.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 001.png

* Click Require a password on wakeup
    on left side panel,

• This step brings up the window: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 002.png

* Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
    and under password protection on wakeup, select radio button
    Require a password (recommended)

• This step allows for adjustment and as we see the radio button
      Require a password has already been selected, then
      Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
      Don’t require a password and save settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 003.png
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
      Require a passwordand save settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 004.png

* Click Apply and
    OK.

• I wait for the computer to go to sleep and wait to hear the fan settle down then move the mouse and the machine wakes up without requiring a password.
    • So I go further: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and adjust the Put The Computer To Sleep: to 3 minutes and Save Changes.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 005.png
    • I walk away, make a coffee and come back and check the computer in 6 minutes and still the computer wakes up without requiring a password.

I could not find the answer to my problem in your forum and the links in the email below do not take me to the original
    thread allowing me to answer in the
    thread.

Thus I answer by this email in hopes to find a resolve.

PS: I am not new to computers, windows or mac and I am a qualifies mechanical engineer of 30 years if It helps.

Best Regards

Dr_Horton

Dr Horton_1958, Apr 13, 2019
  3. No Password required After Computer falls asleep

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

Since the security features are enhanced on Windows, this happens when the password is disabled on the computer to ensure there is no protection for your user account, however you may enable the password and check if that
    helps you.

Here are steps to disable the password after waking from sleep.

1. Click Start.

2. Click Control Panel.

3. Click Power Options.

4. Click on “Require Password on Wakeup” on the left pane.

5. Click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.

5. Select the first option “Require a password.”

Note: when your computer wakes from sleep, no one can access the data because the computer is locked.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Apr 13, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on...

1. What path do I take on my Windows 10 computer to get to the option "Require a password on... - Similar Threads - path computer option

2. I forgot my password to login into my computer what do I do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I forgot my password to login into my computer what do I do: I just got my old computer back and I forgot my password and in order to reset it I have to login into my computer but I don't remember the password plz help me...
  3. I forgot my password to login into my computer what do I do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I forgot my password to login into my computer what do I do: I just got my old computer back and I forgot my password and in order to reset it I have to login into my computer but I don't remember the password plz help me...
  4. No Option to Require Password in Netplwiz.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Option to Require Password in Netplwiz.exe: Just did a reinstall of Windows 11.Upon opening Netplwiz, ther is no option to require a password.I'm forced every boot to put in my PIN.I want to automatically log in.James...
  5. No Option to Require Password in Netplwiz.exe

No Option to Require Password in Netplwiz.exe: Just did a reinstall of Windows 11.Upon opening Netplwiz, ther is no option to require a password.I'm forced every boot to put in my PIN.I want to automatically log in.James...
  6. My password expired and I forgot what it was how do I get onto my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My password expired and I forgot what it was how do I get onto my computer: Hi, I forgot if I had ever set a password for my desktop but for the last few months after installing windows I haven’t had to put in a password. Out of no where my computer says my password expired and is asking for my password to create a new one. I have no idea what that...
  7. My password expired and I forgot what it was how do I get onto my computer

My password expired and I forgot what it was how do I get onto my computer: Hi, I forgot if I had ever set a password for my desktop but for the last few months after installing windows I haven’t had to put in a password. Out of no where my computer says my password expired and is asking for my password to create a new one. I have no idea what that...
  8. My password expired and I forgot what it was how do I get onto my computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  9. How do I get my computer to require a password?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get my computer to require a password?: I'm probably going to sound really tilted because I just spent an hour trying to do the most basic possible security precaution but still don't have an answer so forgive me. No matter where I look I cannot figure out how to make my computer not go straight to desktop when I...
  10. Which password in WinRE do the repair options require?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which password in WinRE do the repair options require?: Hi guys, I updated my Lenovo 330 windows 10 and suddenly I could not print any document on my Kyocera FS-1120 printer. Every time I pressed a print command in any of the applications, windows would shut down. I tried to roll back the printer drivers but the roll back...