Windows 10: what people have permissions over search normally?

Discus and support what people have permissions over search normally? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; my search bar on windows is not working. whenever i click it it is blank for a while and closes and doesn't let me type. i was searching on how to fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JesseNiemi1, Apr 23, 2020.

1. what people have permissions over search normally?

my search bar on windows is not working. whenever i click it it is blank for a while and closes and doesn't let me type. i was searching on how to fix this and one was to take permissions over the search folder or something. while i was looking in the permissions i saw 2 other groups and not just me. is it normal to have SYSTEM and system administrator then your desktops name as people with permissions there or is something wrong?
    edit: it now says i have no permission over the folder at all even though i am the owner and administrator of the computer

:)

JesseNiemi1, Apr 23, 2020

2. Folder permissions, windows search engine permissions, default permissions.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with the search index.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any error code/error message while trying to search?
    2. May I know the error code or error message that you’re receiving when you try to install the software?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?

Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

I suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below to fix the issue with the search index.

Method 1

Check if the Windows Search service is running

1. Open the run command (Windows + R key) and type in
      services.msc.
    2. Scroll down and look for Windows Search from the list.
    3. Click on Windows Search entry. In the Status column (see above picture), you will see Running if the service is running. Ensure that the Startup type is Automatic or Automatic (delayed) by checking the Startup type column.

Method 2

Rebuild Search Index

1. Click on Start, type in Indexing Options and press
      Enter.
    2. Once the Indexing Options is launched, click the ‘Advanced’ button to open
      Advanced Options.
    3. Click on Rebuild button under ‘Troubleshooting’ section.
    4. Click on OK button and Windows 10 will start rebuilding the search index. It might take time to complete the process.
    5. Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

In regards to your query about SYSTEM permissions, it is not recommended to assign full control to SYSTEM under permissions. However, the default permissions for the Desktop folder are 'System', 'User of that particular account'
    and the 'Administrator'.

Refer the steps mentioned below to configure User permissions for Files and Folders.

1. Right click on the specific folder you wish to modify and select
      Properties.
    2. Click on Security tab to view all the names of the users or group along with their list of permissions.
    3. Click on Edit button.
    4. Choose the account for which you want to make any changes under the
      Group or user names segment.
    5. Allow and Deny are the two options available under
      Permissions for Authenticated Users.
    6. Give permissions for each operation by choosing the access or deny checkboxes.
    7. Click on Apply and OK.

Method 3

If you wish to return the system to using its default permissions, I would suggest you to create a new user account, transfer all the required data to the new account and check if it works for you. This is because creating
    the new user account will create that account with the default permissions.

Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account
    in Windows 10
    for the steps.

Note: You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 23, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Apr 23, 2020
  4. what people have permissions over search normally?

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

what people have permissions over search normally?

1. what people have permissions over search normally? - Similar Threads - permissions search normally

2. Is it normal for a laptop with 512gb ssd having over 800000 files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it normal for a laptop with 512gb ssd having over 800000 files?: I was highschoolers that uses laptop for gaming, schoolwork, and multimedia software. So, few hours ago I installed pirated games and run it on administrator which is my fault also, and iI think theres something wrong on my laptop so I do a full scan and I saw over 800,000...
  3. Is it normal for a laptop with 512gb ssd having over 800000 files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for a laptop with 512gb ssd having over 800000 files?: I was highschoolers that uses laptop for gaming, schoolwork, and multimedia software. So, few hours ago I installed pirated games and run it on administrator which is my fault also, and iI think theres something wrong on my laptop so I do a full scan and I saw over 800,000...
  4. white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search

white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search: I updated my PC 2 days ago and It started showing an x instead of my icons if I search. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-x-over-black-box-instead-of-normal-icons-on/f4ddd21a-3f87-4ced-919f-eca72e2c1865
  5. white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    white x over black box instead of normal icons on Cortana search: I updated my PC 2 days ago and It started showing an x instead of my icons if I search. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/white-x-over-black-box-instead-of-normal-icons-on/f4ddd21a-3f87-4ced-919f-eca72e2c1865
  6. white X over black box instead of normal icons in Cortana search

in Cortana
    white X over black box instead of normal icons in Cortana search: I updated my pc 2 days ago and it started showing this... If there is a solution to fix this then please tell me Thanks in advance [ATTACH]...
  7. search on multiple people tags

search on multiple people tags: In Microsoft Live Photo a couple of years ago, I used to be able to search on multiple people tags at the same time....E.g. I could click on my husband's photo and my photo and have all the photos with both of us in them together show up. I used it all the time. Now it...
  8. Searching for multiple people in Photos?

Searching for multiple people in Photos?: Within the Photos app in Windows, how do I select multiple people to search my photos for? For example, if I want to see all my photos with 'person X' in them, I just go to People and select 'person X' and it shows me photos with only that person in them. I want to see...
  9. In Settings - Permissions and History - SafeSearch and Cloud Search do not work normally.

in Windows 10 Customization
    In Settings - Permissions and History - SafeSearch and Cloud Search do not work normally.: In Settings - Permissions and History - SafeSearch and Cloud Search do not work normally, or after SafeSearch and Cloud Search are turned on after the card is turned off, the switches are turned off or not functioning anymore....
  10. People app have the same update over and over

People app have the same update over and over: I keep having the People app have the same update over and over. I open the Store, go to Downloads, Check for Updates, and it says the People app has an update. It downloads, installs, and says Completed. If I check again, or close the Store, reboot, or anything, and check...