Windows 10: What ports do the forced upgrades use?

Discus and support What ports do the forced upgrades use? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Microsoft uses ports to send updates through to it's devices. MS Win 10 devices use ports to send data back to MS to continue building our Microsoft's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Shaela, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Shaela Win User

What ports do the forced upgrades use?

Microsoft uses ports to send updates through to it's devices. MS Win 10 devices use ports to send data back to MS to continue building our Microsoft's User Profile (MUP).

The Question:

Which ports and/or domains (IP #s would be great) do they use to force their updates? I will block those ports and end this takeover of MY computer. Another upgrade will only do the same - brick my computer again.

Preamble WHY:

Last week, on shutting down after just checking email, the usual "Do not turn this computer off..." update notice. After an hour or so, it restarted and popped a new notice "Windows could not start" and my options were "Shutdown" and enjoy my $1,400.00 brick, or "Repair" - so I clicked Repair.

After an hour or so, it finished with 'Windows could not repair this computer" options were, Shutdown or Repair'. OK, let's try repairing then What ports do the forced upgrades use? :) Same result, full circle. I contacted 'support'. After several days of several different , while on the phone with an "agent", I followed her instructions, several times asking "Are you sure I won't lose my data - like pictures, contacts, videos cause my sons wedding pictures are on there?" and was told, by more than one "agent" that "data will be in windows.old folder." I was also told that the only thing I would lose would be programs I would have to re-install. We've all been there before!

Cutting to the quick. All data was lost. Today, I'm told Microsoft doesn't support this computer model any longer. They must have supported it when they kept those [expletive] popups yelling "UPDATE TO WINDOWS 10"! They must have supported it when they snuck in Windows 10. So, they delete my data, and cop-out with "we no longer support..." --- cowards!

Port numbers please?

s.

p.s. This has to be one of the worse forum/BBS/posting/ticket apps ever!

:)

Shaela, Dec 11, 2018
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

What ports do the forced upgrades use? [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Dec 12, 2018
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Dec 12, 2018
  4. What ports do the forced upgrades use?

Windows 10 lost COM ports

Hi John,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the missing ports on your Windows 10 computer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we’d like to know the following information:

• What are the troubleshooting steps you've done so far?
    • Which devices are using the COM port on your computer?

Additionally, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article on how to perform the
    Advanced startup options (including safe mode).
    Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps and complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if you’re able to install the port on your PC properly.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Joseph Ban, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

What ports do the forced upgrades use?

1. What ports do the forced upgrades use? - Similar Threads - ports forced upgrades

2. what port is used for windows activation?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    what port is used for windows activation?: It appears that the port that is used for windows activation is being blocked by the firewall. What port is used/should be opened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-port-is-used-for-windows-activation/555fc169-161d-4267-826f-ff621bbf3003
  3. what port is used for windows activation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what port is used for windows activation?: It appears that the port that is used for windows activation is being blocked by the firewall. What port is used/should be opened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-port-is-used-for-windows-activation/555fc169-161d-4267-826f-ff621bbf3003
  4. what port is used for windows activation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What is port 8181 used for

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is port 8181 used for: iPhone port 8181 open on my iPhone port 8181 open on my network and don’t know what it is used for https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-port-8181-used-for/bd5602b1-f5aa-4790-b75a-1f4032b087f7
  6. What is port 8181 used for

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is port 8181 used for: iPhone port 8181 open on my iPhone port 8181 open on my network and don’t know what it is used for https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-port-8181-used-for/bd5602b1-f5aa-4790-b75a-1f4032b087f7
  7. What is port 8181 used for

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. what is a PCI Serial Port do

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    what is a PCI Serial Port do: what does a PCI Serial Port do is it ok if there is no driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-a-pci-serial-port-do/c6f6c860-578c-4873-aa6c-84b7b5fc9e08
  9. Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade or clean install - what do you use?: After my upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 I was very happy with the new OS on my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop. Everything worked perfect, no hardware or software problems at all. Then I read on several tech forums that many or mayby most people did prefer a clean install of...
  10. Force COM Port number change using Command line

in Windows 10 Support
    Force COM Port number change using Command line: I have two USB devices that when plugged in must have COM ports 3 & 4 assigned, my question is how can I do this using a batch file? The two devices are a GEWA Transmitter (FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+AI04WJT5A\0000) (needs to be COM3) and an ELDAT transmitter...