Windows 10: What services can be disabled if Windows is used only to surf the Net?

Discus and support What services can be disabled if Windows is used only to surf the Net? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last year, Windows 10 crashed my PC repeatedly. See Is it a hardware problem which has nothing to do with Windows? - Windows 10 Forums This year, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Matthew Wai, Mar 29, 2019.

1. What services can be disabled if Windows is used only to surf the Net?

Last year, Windows 10 crashed my PC repeatedly. See Is it a hardware problem which has nothing to do with Windows? - Windows 10 Forums
    This year, I have used Linux instead of Windows 10, which will only be used in VirtualBox occasionally.
    So far, Linux has never crashed my PC, while Windows 10 sometimes does in VirtualBox.
    I suspect my motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-H81M-DS2, is not fully compatible with Windows 10. I want to disable some (or most) Windows services as a test and see whether the problem can be fixed. Assuming I use Windows 10 only to surf the Net, what services can be disabled?

:)

Matthew Wai, Mar 29, 2019
  2. Artas1984 Win User

DIsable Internet Information Services and NET Framework 3.5.1

Internet Information Services
    Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core

My PC is not a workstation, nor it is a client to one. It is not on a WAN or in some local homegroup, remote access services are also disabled. So..

Do i really need those IIS?

NET Framework 3.5.1 - since i have installed NET Framework 4.5.2, can i disable NET Framework 3.5.1 or is it a must feature, without which the 4.5.2 will not work?

Windows update installed all the 4.5.2 NET Framework updates, but i did not select any 3.5.1 updates - should i install them (if i keep the 3.5.1 NET Framework in my Windows services).

Artas1984, Mar 29, 2019
  3. DIsable Internet Information Services and NET Framework 3.5.1

U can disable IIS if u want.... Net 3.5 is required to run certain apps, 4.5 is newer but doesn't replace the old 3.x versions.

Kinda makes me wonder why 3.5 requires a separate install on W10.....

Pill Monster, Mar 29, 2019
  4. Rhyseh Win User

What services can be disabled if Windows is used only to surf the Net?

DIsable Internet Information Services and NET Framework 3.5.1

You can probably disable IIS without any issues. .NET framework 3.5.1 is required for a number of applications and services to run correctly.

Rhyseh, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

What services can be disabled if Windows is used only to surf the Net?

1. What services can be disabled if Windows is used only to surf the Net? - Similar Threads - services disabled used

2. What Disables My Nvidia Services?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What Disables My Nvidia Services?: I did aa tour-de-force of shutting off Windows Settings. Immediately afterwards I had problems with The Nvidia Services in Windows Services being disabled whenever I start up my computer. Nvidia Control Panel then won't open and the screen brightness is dimmed. I turn the...
  3. Intel Services, can they be disabled?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Intel Services, can they be disabled?: I see many Intel Services that are enabled, mostly graphics related. Are they essential? Can any of those be safely disabled? I'm attaching a screenshot. Thanks [img] 161610
  4. What services to disable?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What services to disable?: [ATTACH] Here's screenshots of my services list, what to disable? https://preview.redd.it/7ctbbbcdvts41.png?width=573&format=png&auto=webp&s=55b3e32f79e5eaeaa085ccc8eb9d331c31f97d20...
  5. What are the mechanisms IT can use to disable hibernation?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What are the mechanisms IT can use to disable hibernation?: Hi, On my work laptop hibernation is not enabled, and cannot be enabled: ❯ powercfg /h on ❯ powercfg /a The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby (S3) The following sleep states are not available on this system: Standby (S1)...
  6. Can I work or surf the 'net during an update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I work or surf the 'net during an update?: My machine is updating to 1903. I can see my desktop, and the update is being done in the Windows Update app, and taking quite some time. Can I do any work or surf online while this is happening? 136350
  7. Read Only can not be disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read Only can not be disabled: Hi, So every FIle and Folder is set to Read Only and changing it, well, doesnt change it. What i did was: Rightclick the Account folder under User> Properties>Security> Advanced and then changed the Owner to my Account (which is the only one btw) and added "Everyone"...
  8. Start Services – what keep – what disable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Services – what keep – what disable?: This morning Windows has decided to pester me about what I don’t know anything about – Start Services. I don’t know what they. And when I learn that (what they are), I will want to know which ones to disable and which ones to turn, or leave on and why. Can someone please...
  9. Disabling Updates using Services

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disabling Updates using Services: Hi I've disabled Windows Updates by going into the options using "Services" and changing it from Enable to Disabled and then applied the change. Switched on my laptop and lo and behold, the setting has reversed itself back to Enabled !! How is this possible ?? I have...
  10. BSOD Bad_Pool_Caller while surfing the net

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Bad_Pool_Caller while surfing the net: I have an HP ENVY 17 Notebook and I keep getting BSOD Bad_Pool_Caller it doesn't happen when doing certain thing. I use my laptop at work and I can leave it on go out to lunch and when I come back it's restarted. I've tried asking HP for help and the only thing they seem to...