Windows 10: What services does the System Restore utility use?

Discus and support What services does the System Restore utility use? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Im aware that it uses Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy. Nevertheless i get a 0x800423F3 error when I try using it. Please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TeolNordmann, Nov 17, 2019.

1. What services does the System Restore utility use?

Im aware that it uses Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy. Nevertheless i get a 0x800423F3 error when I try using it. Please dont focus too much on that. I just want to know what more services it relies on.

:)

TeolNordmann, Nov 17, 2019
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CWhat services does the System Restore utility use? :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CWhat services does the System Restore utility use? :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Nov 17, 2019
  3. System Restore error 0x81000204

HI Giandra.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing System Restore services and system files. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Memory Diagnostic Tool.

If Windows detects possible problems with your computer’s memory, it will prompt you to run the Memory Diagnostics Tool.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Memory Diagnostic
    • Select Windows Memory Diagnostics
      and click on Restart now and check for problems.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: I suggest you to check with the below services.

• Volume shadow copy
    • Multimedia Class Scheduler
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • DCOM Server Process Launcher
    • Plug and Play.

Follow the below steps for the same:

• Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard to open
      Run command.
    • Type services.msc in the search box and press
      Enter
    • Search for the Remote Procedure Call locator service
    • Make sure the Start-up type is Manual.

Steps to set the services to Automatic

• Right click on the service
    • If the service is stopped then Start the service
    • Select Properties
    • And in the Start-up type, select Manual.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 17, 2019
  4. What services does the System Restore utility use?

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

What services does the System Restore utility use?

1. What services does the System Restore utility use? - Similar Threads - services does System

2. Using System Restore Tool After End Of Service

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using System Restore Tool After End Of Service: Can i still use system restore tool to free space other than revert windows update after end of service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-system-restore-tool-after-end-of-service/7b037207-64d3-4e0d-8a3d-ff6bc10bf939
  3. Using System Restore Tool After End Of Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using System Restore Tool After End Of Service: Can i still use system restore tool to free space other than revert windows update after end of service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-system-restore-tool-after-end-of-service/7b037207-64d3-4e0d-8a3d-ff6bc10bf939
  4. Using System Restore Tool After End Of Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the use of System Restore?: What is the use of system restore? What are the benefits? And is it worth creating a restore point? I read that disabling it may increase the performance of my SSD....
  6. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the use of System Restore?: What is the use of system restore? What are the benefits? And is it worth creating a restore point? I read that disabling it may increase the performance of my SSD....
  7. What is the use of System Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. System Restore does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore does not work: [ATTACH] So, I keep getting this particular error message every time I try to do a system restore, how do I fix it? I tried using different restore points , but no solution obtained. Can someone help me out? Thanks!...
  9. Restore System using restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore System using restore point: Hello, Had to use a recent restore point. Started the restore, made a list what will be affected, and it started. After waiting about 25 minutes I got an error notice that restore was not succesful because of anti virus (?). The only antivirus on my system is windows...
  10. What VPN services does everyone use?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What VPN services does everyone use?: Trying to gather a concensus of what everyone might use as a VPN client program, or if they found a server and made their own connection with Windows VPN. I've been trying tons of different programs all day, and have not fallen in love with any so far. I've also tried finding...