Windows 10: What settings are turned on by default but not needed

Discus and support What settings are turned on by default but not needed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over the years I've noticed that windows has a lot of settings that are on by default but are mainly for beginners. Which settings can be turned off to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smirk24, May 20, 2019.

1. smirk24 Win User

What settings are turned on by default but not needed

Over the years I've noticed that windows has a lot of settings that are on by default but are mainly for beginners. Which settings can be turned off to free up resources?

1.Disable low disk space checks
    2. Disable windows animations
    3. Windows search

Are there anymore settings that aren't needed? And if so what are they?

:)

smirk24, May 20, 2019
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done What settings are  turned on by default but not needed :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, May 20, 2019
  3. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, May 20, 2019
  4. What settings are turned on by default but not needed

Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 20, 2019
Thema:

What settings are turned on by default but not needed

1. What settings are turned on by default but not needed - Similar Threads - settings are turned

2. what are the default windows features settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what are the default windows features settings?: I think my cat walked across my keyboard and changed some feature settings. Can u please tell which windows 11 feature settings should be enabled for default?...
  3. what are the default windows features settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what are the default windows features settings?: I think my cat walked across my keyboard and changed some feature settings. Can u please tell which windows 11 feature settings should be enabled for default?...
  4. What's default value for Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's default value for Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay?: I see that Defender is updating every day but on some sites i see that default value is 8 - never. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-default-value-for-set-mppreference/854fee96-ae9f-41b7-bbc1-7381e22193dc
  5. What's default value for Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's default value for Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay?: I see that Defender is updating every day but on some sites i see that default value is 8 - never. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-default-value-for-set-mppreference/854fee96-ae9f-41b7-bbc1-7381e22193dc
  6. What's default value for Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Restore "Turn Windows features on or off" to default settings?

Restore "Turn Windows features on or off" to default settings?: Hi,I was trying to optimize my Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 21H1 so it could have the same security features as Windows 11 see this article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-11-has-advanced-hardware-security-heres-how-to-get-it-in-windows-10-today/. It seems I...
  8. What is the default display brightness in system settings

What is the default display brightness in system settings: What is the default display brightness in system settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-default-display-brightness-in-system/fa7b88bb-4e6a-449f-aba4-5c3f76128152
  9. 'Turn windows feature on or off'- What are the system default settings?

'Turn windows feature on or off'- What are the system default settings?: I want to know how to restore system default settings of 'Turn windows features on or off'. I just messed up with some of these settings and I don't remember exactly what I changed. So now I want to reset or restore these settings to system default as it came with the...
  10. What are the default settings for HPET and Dynamic Tick?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are the default settings for HPET and Dynamic Tick?: What are the default settings for HPET and Dynamic Tick? They are both currently disabled. I want to reset them back since I was experiencing crashes and random 3-5 seconds of low fps in Team Fortress 2 and I figured the disabled HPET and Dynamic Tick were the culprits since...