Windows 10: What should I look for, new computer sudden shut down!

Discus and support What should I look for, new computer sudden shut down! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Brand new computer from CyberPower PC, I've had it about a month or so now. SSD as the main drive for the OS and Programs. I think my other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RAMWolff, Feb 19, 2017.

1. RAMWolff Win User

What should I look for, new computer sudden shut down!

Hi,

Brand new computer from CyberPower PC, I've had it about a month or so now. SSD as the main drive for the OS and Programs. I think my other specs are in my profile. Anyway, booted up the computer this AM and was just browsing on line and downloading a file to install (completely safe file by the way) and all of a sudden the whole computer shuts down.

Last time something like this happened it was on my previous computer. System seemed to be turned off but as it turned out to be the video cards power connector not properly seated but the rest of the computer was "on"... With this situation the ENTIRE computer went off. Once I reset my power backup (turned it off and back on again) I was able to turn back on the computer. I have a Turbo button that's always bright red when the computer is on and interior lights (gaming computer that I use for my CG work) so yea, OFF completely!

Any ideas??

Thank you,
    Richard *Confused

:)

RAMWolff, Feb 19, 2017

2. Surface Pro 3 shows a blue screen showing an app that is preventing the shut down

Original title: Apps preventing Windows from shutting down.

This is something I cant explain need help. At times when I shut down Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 its shows a blue screen showing an app that is preventing the shut down it does not say what it is. Were that should be above the file symbol is what looks
    like a bunch of oriental script. I have run Norton and it finds nothing I should not have on the computer there

Philip Kuffner, Feb 19, 2017
  3. Computer keeps shutting down

Why does my computer keep shutting down unexpectedly? I can be right in the middle of email, Quicken, Facebook....etc - just anything and it will all of a sudden just shut down. Is there a setting I can change to stop that?

PatriciaLewis3, Feb 19, 2017
  4. What should I look for, new computer sudden shut down!

HI Richard,

Was there any beeping before the PC shut down? That would indicate that the CPU was overheating, although they do not always alarm if you have the alarm turned off in BIOS.

Since you have an Intel CPU, I would use a utility like CoreTemp to monitor your temps at idle, and then when you are doing something with the PC. If the temps climb very high, overheating might be likely.

The other possibility is that you have a faulty power supply. If the heat tests pass, and the shutdowns continue, is there a possibility to borrow a PSU for testing for a few days?

Gurn Blanston, Feb 19, 2017
  5. RAMWolff Win User
    Hi,

NO beeping. It's a new rig so not sure why it would do that. I did turn off the Turbo feature and all seems fine now. I've never had good fortune using overclocking but the rig came with that enabled. So perhaps it was the needed fix...

RAMWolff, Feb 19, 2017
  6. Perhaps. I think if it were me, I would still check out the temps and make sure that they were all right.

Never hurts to be on the safe side of things. *Smile

Gurn Blanston, Feb 19, 2017
  7. Go to Reliability History and if there are any red flags,then View Tech Details,which will give you the cause,normally at the bottom of the list.You can then search for a solution--hopefully

joeandmarg0, Feb 20, 2017
  8. RAMWolff Win User

Reliability History? Not sure where to look for such info.

RAMWolff, Feb 22, 2017
  9. RAMWolff Win User
    Found it. Looking over the errors now...

RAMWolff, Feb 22, 2017
  10. RAMWolff Win User
    "No solutions found" it keeps saying that they will come through the Security and Maintenance updates when available. *Think

RAMWolff, Feb 22, 2017
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Possible sudden shutdown:
    • One of the RAM stick is bad. Remember anything you run will be loaded into RAM first then run. run memtest for at least 6 passes: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    • CPU overheated. Check the CPU heat sink for proper seating
    • Power supply is defective or fluctuated.
    • Installed software has incompatible driver with Windows 10.
    • HDD/SSD is defective even though it is a brand new PC. For SSD, check for updated firmware.
      Also run chkdsk C: /f /r from admin command prompt.
    • Corrupted Windows 10 system files, run from admin command prompt:
      dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause
    • MB might be defective even it's new
    • etc.... so this is just a few pointers you can check out.

topgundcp, Feb 22, 2017
  12. RAMWolff Win User
    OK. I'll try some of your suggestions. I JUST wrote CyberPower PC about this. Happened again just about an hour ago. I did take the cover off and check the connectors to the hard drives but nothing going on there. Same with the GPU, it's fine. I really hope it's not the new SSDrive. That would really suck rotten eggs as it's my very first foray into the SSD side of things. I do like the fast boot ups and the fast program starts but if it's faulty ... Grrrrrrrrrrrrr .... I'll run your check and see what I see. Maybe post it here to have someone look over the read out? Sorry, I'm not all that techy when it comes to reading internal speak! lol

RAMWolff, Feb 23, 2017
  13. RAMWolff Win User

OK.. .I'm trying to get this chkdsk :C /f /r and I'm not having any luck. Please be more specific as I don't know about this stuff very much. I've typed into the command prompt that very line... I get feedback that it's not valid input so I'll just wait for some help. I've made sure that I'm running as Admin by selecting the prompt and holding down the CTRL + SHIFT key and hitting Enter. Same feedback from the prompt

RAMWolff, Feb 23, 2017
  14. RAMWolff Win User
    Also, the SSD is a Samsung. I see no way to access new drivers on their website as it's all mixed in with home appliances. There isn't even a section that I can find for driver updates. Their site is a bit of a mess actually! *Mad

RAMWolff, Feb 23, 2017
  15. topgundcp Win User
    Mistyped, shoud be: chkdsk /r /f C:

topgundcp, Feb 23, 2017
Thema:

1. What should I look for, new computer sudden shut down! - Similar Threads - should computer sudden

2. My computer showed, Locking and shut completely down and will not restart. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer showed, Locking and shut completely down and will not restart. What should I do?: My computer showed, Locking and immediately shut down and will not restart. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-showed-locking-and-shut-completely/77abea20-d0e7-4cd1-b0a0-804face5fc34
  3. My computer showed, Locking and shut completely down and will not restart. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer showed, Locking and shut completely down and will not restart. What should I do?: My computer showed, Locking and immediately shut down and will not restart. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-showed-locking-and-shut-completely/77abea20-d0e7-4cd1-b0a0-804face5fc34
  4. My computer showed, Locking and shut completely down and will not restart. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  6. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  7. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. New Laptop Suddenly shuts down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New Laptop Suddenly shuts down: Hi All, Seeking some guidance here, got a new lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro and it randomly shutdowns, no specific time when it happens. I have updated all the drivers but got no idea. I have checked Event Log of the time when it happens I see the Kernel-Power critical...
  9. My computer suddenly shutting down

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer suddenly shutting down: I want to know that when i join the Microsoft teams class my computer is suddenly shutting down again and again.. Please inform me that what is the solution to solve this problem.... Thanks,,,...
  10. ASUS laptop suddenly shut down and looks completely dead

in Windows 10 Support
    ASUS laptop suddenly shut down and looks completely dead: Hi, a friend of mine gave me a cheap ASUS X551CA laptop and asked me to install Windows 10, clean it, etc... I installed Windows 10 using a USB drive, all went correctly. Then I installed latest updates, but one of them, a big one, was always giving an error. I tried to...