Windows 10: What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?

Discus and support What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I downloaded the freebie version of Macrium Reflect, and attempted to make an image of the entire drive so I would be ready should I have a hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jim8080, May 20, 2019.

1. Jim8080 Win User

What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?

I downloaded the freebie version of Macrium Reflect, and attempted to make an image of the entire drive so I would be ready should I have a hard drive failure. I didn’t have adequate space in the drive that will store the image file, so will try later. How much space do I need?, I have a 2 TB drive in the computer, but currently use less than .5 TB. I’m making a single backup.

Jim

:)

Jim8080, May 20, 2019

2. Backup drive is running out of space

Hi Argel Obm,

Thank you for your helpful post. I am travelling & would try out your suggestions after return.

Would write back if I need further help.

Thank you

Bappaditya Gupta, May 20, 2019
  3. Backup drive is running out of space

The hard drive, 250GB, on my Windows 10 PC has four partitions - C,D,E & F, each with disc space of about 58 GB. As of now, the System Backup is configured to the D drive which has latest backups & system images only. Presently I have only 15 MB free
    space on the D drive & so I am getting a System notification that my D drive is running out of space. I want to take a complete System Backup on an external Disc drive for safety & security of my system, files & folders. Let me know how I can clean up the
    D drive for taking backups again on the same drive as before. Also let me know how I can make a Bootable Backup disc in case of my PC crashes. Please help me & suggest step by step guideline for resolving the issue.

Bappaditya Gupta, May 20, 2019
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Backup drive is running out of space

Hi,

In Windows 10, you can either use File History in Settings or Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel to back up your files or the image of your Windows 10. Just to clarify, what tool did you use to back up your files or image? If you used Back and
    Restore (Windows 7) and you set up a back up schedule, the drive that you're using for the back up will surely consume a large amount of space. To free up disk space, you can either delete an old back up or you can set up Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to
    only save the latest backup file. To do this, follow these steps:

Delete an old backup file:

• Open Control Panel and access Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • Click Manage space.
    • Select View backups....
    • Choose the backup the you want to delete, and then press Delete.
    Keep the latest system image:

• Open Control Panel and access Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • Click Manage space.
    • Select Change settings....
    • Choose Keep only the latest system image and minimize space used by backup, and then press
      OK.
    If you do not want to use the current location of your backup anymore and you want to change it to your external drive, you can do so by following these steps:

• Open Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel.
    • Press Change settings.

• Choose the drive you want to save your backup file, and then click Next.
    • Choose your backup settings.
    • Press Save settings and run backup.

If you want to create a bootable media or an installation media of Windows 10, you can do so by using the Media Creation Tool. Please take note that you need a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of space so that you can create a bootable media. You can download
    the Media Creation Tool here. The link also has the steps on how to create and use the bootable media.

If you have additional questions, kindly reply to this thread.

Argel Obm, May 20, 2019
Thema:

1. What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data? - Similar Threads - space need drive

2. Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium: I've spent countless hours trying to research this so I can understand it and I'm still having issues. If I use software such as Macrium, I can clone my C drive to an SSD so that if my C drive were to fail, I could pop in the SSD and that's it. It's basically like nothing...
  3. What drive do I choose to restore with Macrium

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What drive do I choose to restore with Macrium: Booted the new PC with USB drive with the Macrium Reflect boot menu. The new PC has 2 drives. A 500GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. The same as the old one. Both of them are on the Macrium image as 1 and 2. I plugged in the EXTERNAL HDD and it came up as C:\. It asked me to choose a...
  4. What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?: I downloaded the freebie version of Macrium Reflect, and attempted to make an image of the entire drive so I would be ready should I have a hard drive failure. I didn’t have adequate space in the drive that will store the image file, so will try later. How much space do I...
  5. Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium)

Backup / Restore to Network drives (Macrium): Hi folks when you create the stand alone Macrium don't forget to enable legacy SMB1 support (in the Macrium create recovery media) under advanced if your backups goes to NAS or other shared network devices that still need SMB1. [img] Cheers jimbo 128463
  6. What if macrium reflect backup fail

What if macrium reflect backup fail: Though it has never happened but out of curiosity, I want to know, while restoring macrium image, when we delete System Reserved and OS partition and then drop the backup image at that place and if image fail to restore, and we already deleted the System Reserved and OS...
  7. What if macrium reflect backup fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What if macrium reflect backup fail: Though it has never happened but out of curiosity, I want to know, while restoring macrium image, when we delete System Reserved and OS partition and then drop the backup image at that place and if image fail to restore, and we already deleted the System Reserved and OS...
  8. Macrium Backup Strategy + What Happens if Backup Drive is Disconnected

Macrium Backup Strategy + What Happens if Backup Drive is Disconnected: Hi all. I've on the advice of this forum installed Macrium Free for disc imaging (it feels like a really well put together application) to provide an additional backup for my writing, but would appreciate some help with a few questions from experienced users: 1. The...
  9. Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?

Macrium Reflect backups external or internal drive?: I been using Macrium Reflect Free for a few weeks now and it already saved me from reinstalling Windows three times already. I want to know for backup images is it better to get a dedicated external drive for image backups or just to use an internal drive like I am using now....
  10. Do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium?

Do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium?: I have been kindly advised by people on this forum that its best to use Macrium to create an 'image' of your SSD only, and to manually backup your HD storage (that has photos, documents, music etc). Every Sunday (usually evenings), I connect my 2TB external HD, open...