Windows 10: What the heck happened!!!

Discus and support What the heck happened!!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sunday morning, I ran my usual system virus scan. Upon completion (nothing found using Malwarebytes), I restarted my Win 10 (version 1803) desktop. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GS7999, Apr 29, 2019.

1. GS7999 Win User

What the heck happened!!!

Sunday morning, I ran my usual system virus scan. Upon completion (nothing found using Malwarebytes), I restarted my Win 10 (version 1803) desktop.

I did not stay by the computer during the restart and didn't return for a couple hours. Here are the things that changed:

1. The Lock screen image was not the one I had been using

2. Upon signon, all my desktop icons were not as I left them. Many icons were missing.

3. The task bar had several items pinned. I hate this feature and never use it. The icons were the same as my new laptop (generic).

4. A number of tiles were added to the Start Menu. Don't use this feature, prefer the desktop icons.

5. All of my browsers were still there (opera, avg, chrome, firefox, edge), but appear as they were newly installed. All tabs, saved passwords, bookmarks, extensions gone.

6. I use a program call Icon Restore. The icon is gone and it is not listed in the app list off the Start menu, but is listed in the installed app list in Settings.

7. I had two versions of Opera, one very old and the latest. The old one was retained and the latest uninstalled.

8. Windows update indicated the last update to my system occurred on April 10, this horror occurred on April 28.

9. Classic windows display is gone and my monitor settings were changed to the highest (which I can hardly read).

10. Did not notice any data loss, although most data are kept on USB devices.

I know this cannot be undone and not easily fixed. It will be an effort to return my system to the look and feel I want.

Can anybody tell me what happened?

:)

GS7999, Apr 29, 2019

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Apr 29, 2019
  3. huffman Win User
    Error 1935 Any Fix Soon

pepanee ... I looked at that list. One suggestion was to update Microsoft.net framework 4 Client.

If I am looking at this crap correctly, that is not even installed or does not show in the Programs list.

It can be downloaded and installed. What the heck?

OHhhhh one other suggestion was to go into the Registry and delete two places in the Registry. Make me shiver just thinking about making any changes in the Registry. I have never had anything good happen when I have done that in the past.

huffman, Apr 29, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

1. What the heck happened!!! - Similar Threads - heck happened

2. what the heck, microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what the heck, microsoft?: so i tried to extract the tar file that I EXTRACTED WITH 7ZIP because windows extracting doesn't work and every time i try to do it, some weird error appears, WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER? heres a photo if you don't believe me...
  3. what the heck, microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what the heck, microsoft?: so i tried to extract the tar file that I EXTRACTED WITH 7ZIP because windows extracting doesn't work and every time i try to do it, some weird error appears, WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER? heres a photo if you don't believe me...
  4. What the heck just happened?

in Windows 10 Support
    What the heck just happened?: Five-year old Dell desktop with OEM Win10. Five-months ago, thought SSD C-drive was caput. After buying new SSD and installing Win10 on same, got the old SSD to work as an extra drive that wasn't being used. Things have been running fine until . . . Yesterday, Windows...
  5. Any idea what the heck happened with these group policies? It's English, but glitched, like...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any idea what the heck happened with these group policies? It's English, but glitched, like...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Distelzombie [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kb2tu5/any_idea_what_the_heck_happened_with_these_group/
  6. what the heck is happening to my computer first i can't download frame work 3.5 and i can't...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what the heck is happening to my computer first i can't download frame work 3.5 and i can't...: nothing here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-heck-is-happening-to-my-computer-first-i/2d7d5912-1c9f-4c50-8821-2a32dce000ac
  7. What the heck happened to my UI it looks like fisher price after a re install

in Windows 10 Customization
    What the heck happened to my UI it looks like fisher price after a re install: i just re installed my system from the latest image written to a key using the media creation tool. first loging i notice the task bar is a annoying fisher price blue color how do i restore this to the original black color?...
  8. Can someone please explain what the heck has happened to my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can someone please explain what the heck has happened to my computer: [ATTACH]my computer has had an absolute meltdown my files removed and some thing has been operating my system since October and all of the sources I have googled are associated to microsoft so can you please explain The above picture I have no idea where that came from...
  9. What the heck happened to Task Manager?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What the heck happened to Task Manager?: Why does Task Manager no longer run on top of all other apps in Windows so that you can readily close apps/tasks that are causing issues on our systems - the way it used to???...
  10. 10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine?

in Windows 10 Support
    10122.. Whoah. Ok.. what the heck just happened to my machine?: I upgraded to 10122 this afternoon hoping that it would clear up some network blues I have been singing. Well, here is what my start menu looks like now after upgrade: [img] Yep. All icons are toast, and no labels to go with them. Anyone else having this...