Windows 10: What to do about a Broken Bottom On Laptop Case?

Discus and support What to do about a Broken Bottom On Laptop Case? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm currently buying a used Laptop, that is decent enough to the Specs I'm looking for, but It has a broken bottom case, and I mean really smashed into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SotoPrior, Aug 29, 2017.

1. SotoPrior Win User

What to do about a Broken Bottom On Laptop Case?

I'm currently buying a used Laptop, that is decent enough to the Specs I'm looking for, but It has a broken bottom case, and I mean really smashed into type. Being that it is one of those expensive type ones, where can one buy replacement cases for Laptops, if not, find similar cases that can hold all the main components, through a similar laptop case? Either that or can I request/buy such a bottom part from the manufacturer?

Details be, it's a Lenovo Idea pad Y 40-80/40. 14in.

:)

SotoPrior, Aug 29, 2017

2. What to do about laptop.

My laptop is now all but dead after a series of problems with freezing and not booting up and now I'm stumped.

My laptop running Windows 10 recently had issues with freezing and slow performance. Recently it started freezing even on login.

I finally decided to just reset it completely. I didn't even back up anything. I just tried to completely wipe everything. I selected the option to wipe everything if you intended to keep the PC and then the option to wipe everything for recycling because
    the first option didn't work. The second option didn't work either. In both cases it said there was a problem resetting my PC.

I read online booting from a USB stick could solve that problem but my computer didn't recognize the flash drive. I couldn't exit the screen so I had no choice but to shut off the computer manually.

Now when turned on the computer does nothing. The screen is on but it doesn't display anything. Now I can't even reset the thing. I have no idea what to do.

Coathangerman, Aug 29, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    What to do about laptop.

You need to backup your data, if any, and do a clean install.

If you have determined that your hardware is supported on Windows 10, do a clean install of Windows 10. Otherwise, restore the factory image.

I hold the opinion that when someone is in over their head, the safest, smartest thing to do is to have the work done by a professional. Others hold the view that you should try to do this work on your own by following whatever instructions you can find.
    I leave the final decision to your discretion.

BulldogXX, Aug 29, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Aug 29, 2017
  5. SotoPrior Win User
    SotoPrior, Aug 29, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
  7. Disassembly instructions are helpful, even when it seems pretty straight forward. Be careful to keep track of what screw came out of what hole. Sometimes they are different lengths, and even different thread sizes. Put the wrong screw in the wrong hole and you can break things.

alphanumeric, Aug 30, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

You are right of course but Lenovo seem to be pretty simple - mostly the screws are all the same - I only have 2 sizes on mine.

I was thinking buying another laptop with a smashed screen (from ebay) would be an idea but @NavyLCDR found a much cheaper way of doing it. Kudos to him.

9. Rocky Win User
    This is very good advice.

Rocky, Aug 30, 2017
  10. Putting a long screw in where a short one was is when things can go bad. Especially if it grinds into the motherboard.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What to do about a Broken Bottom On Laptop Case? - Similar Threads - Broken Bottom Laptop

2. What do I do about DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do about DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION?: Having the same issue as a lot of people where I get random crashes and freezes. This all happened after adding some new hardware and factory resetting. Reason for crash is DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Please help!...
  3. What do I do about this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do about this?: Every time I boot up my laptop, I get a Windows Script popup that says "Can not find script file "C:\Users\mason\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows NT\appmgr.js"" What do I do about this? I Updated everything I could and this popup still appears. I Don't Know what to do about...
  4. What do I do about this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do I do about this?: Every time I boot up my laptop, I get a Windows Script popup that says "Can not find script file "C:\Users\mason\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows NT\appmgr.js"" What do I do about this? I Updated everything I could and this popup still appears. I Don't Know what to do about...
  5. What do I do about this?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. What is this and what was it about to do? Was is -> [Crypt34]?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this and what was it about to do? Was is -> [Crypt34]?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/imstillmb [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/li0xc3/what_is_this_and_what_was_it_about_to_do_was_is/
  7. what to do about this firmware?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    what to do about this firmware?: my firmware has warning sign in it, is it a problem ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-to-do-about-this-firmware/d98eb1ec-6355-4d38-b07e-c6602a7ec061
  8. What to do in case of computer crash?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What to do in case of computer crash?: After free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 years ago I realize that I don't have an installation code. right now computer is acting unstable. What do I do if it crashes and I need to reinstall it?...
  9. what do i do about this?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what do i do about this?: I am fresh out of a domestic violence situation that I ran with my kids from. I get this email and my ex was brilliant with computers, I am not. What they are accusing of me is not true but I wouldn't be surprised if he has hacked my account because he hs done it twice...
  10. What to do about Java?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What to do about Java?: Hi, I keep getting the Java update notifications, but most browsers (including the one I use, Brave) no longer supports it. I usually ignore it, but is there anything I can do to stop getting these notifications? My OS is Windows 10. Thanks....