Windows 10: What to do after a new SSD is added

Discus and support What to do after a new SSD is added in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I built a new PC, and reused my old 1tb HDD. I bought a new SSD as the HDD is running slow. The HDD has windows 10, my games and files on it. In the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Reece Manansala, Dec 5, 2023.

1. What to do after a new SSD is added

I built a new PC, and reused my old 1tb HDD. I bought a new SSD as the HDD is running slow. The HDD has windows 10, my games and files on it. In the new computer, the SSD does not show up in file explorer, despite showing up in Disk Management. What should I do, and how can I move everything to the SSD?

:)

Reece Manansala, Dec 5, 2023

2. Adding an old SSD to new computer

When I got my new computer, I also got another SSD, so now that I am adding the old SSD in addition to my new one and HDD I am not sure what to do. Before I added my SSD from my old one, I reinstalled Windows 10 on it. I do not want to remove it since it
    cost me money, so I am keeping it as a backup, however when I open file explorer, I see 4 disks; Local Disk (CWhat to do after a new SSD is added :), HDD (DWhat to do after a new SSD is added :), System Reserved (EWhat to do after a new SSD is added :), and Local Disk (EWhat to do after a new SSD is added :). The last two have only appeared after I have added the old SSD.

My problem is that I would like to use my old disk for games, yet want to keep another copy of Windows 10. Additionally I don't fully understand why the System Reserved disk shows up and would not like to see it, do you know what I can do?

GeryMolnar, Dec 5, 2023
  3. The new option of adding Bing calendars in Windows 10 Calendar

Hi,

We appreciate your time bringing this to our attention. We suggest that you share your comments and suggestion on our Feedback hub by following these steps:

• Type Windows Feedback in the search bar.
    • Type some keywords from your issue in the box marked Search for feedback and press
      Enter.
    • If you find your issue, upvote it. If you don't find it, select Add new feedback, then fill out the form.
    Regards.

Monica Cam, Dec 5, 2023
  4. What to do after a new SSD is added

New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Dec 5, 2023
Thema:

What to do after a new SSD is added

1. What to do after a new SSD is added - Similar Threads - SSD added

2. Added another SSD, now Windows 10 won't boot! SOLVED

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Added another SSD, now Windows 10 won't boot! SOLVED: I have a PC with a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H V2-CF motherboard and a KINGSTON SA400S37240G SSD in one of the SATA slots. I was running out of space so added another SSD, a brand new goodram PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 px600 in the M.2 slot. As far as I know all the components are...
  3. Added another SSD, now Windows 10 won't boot!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Added another SSD, now Windows 10 won't boot!: I have a PC with a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H V2-CF motherboard and a KINGSTON SA400S37240G SSD in one of the SATA slots. I was running out of space so added another SSD, a brand new goodram PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 px600 in the M.2 slot. As far as I know all the components are...
  4. Added another SSD, now Windows 10 won't boot!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Added another SSD, now Windows 10 won't boot!: I have a PC with a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H V2-CF motherboard and a KINGSTON SA400S37240G SSD in one of the SATA slots. I was running out of space so added another SSD, a brand new goodram PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 px600 in the M.2 slot. As far as I know all the components are...
  5. Added another SSD, now Windows 10 won't boot!

6. Having issues with adding new ssd to my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having issues with adding new ssd to my pc: I added a new ssd to my pc and I'm getting the message that "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PCPress "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC, or "Shut down" to tur offyour PC.Log file: E:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logiles\Srt\SrtTrail.bxt"I...
  7. Having issues with adding new ssd to my pc

Having issues with adding new ssd to my pc: I added a new ssd to my pc and I'm getting the message that "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PCPress "Advanced options" to try other options to repair your PC, or "Shut down" to tur offyour PC.Log file: E:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logiles\Srt\SrtTrail.bxt"I...
  8. What to do after a new SSD is added

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do after a new SSD is added: I built a new PC, and reused my old 1tb HDD. I bought a new SSD as the HDD is running slow. The HDD has windows 10, my games and files on it. In the new computer, the SSD does not show up in file explorer, despite showing up in Disk Management. What should I do, and how can I...
  9. What to do after a new SSD is added

What to do after a new SSD is added: I built a new PC, and reused my old 1tb HDD. I bought a new SSD as the HDD is running slow. The HDD has windows 10, my games and files on it. In the new computer, the SSD does not show up in file explorer, despite showing up in Disk Management. What should I do, and how can I...
  10. Cannot boot after adding SSD

Cannot boot after adding SSD: Trying to install a Crucial PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD into my machine, and windows gives me a Kernel Security Check failure on startup. Pull the new drive and it boots fine...