Windows 10: what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains...

Discus and support what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains the system reserved and pc does not boot up without it? i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JeroenVerbaarschot, Nov 1, 2018.

1. what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains...

what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains the system reserved and pc does not boot up without it?

i read you have to use 3rd party software to move or copy the system reserved partition to the new hdd, like people also have to do when they want windows 10 to run on a ssd only...

if this is true, then which 3rd party software is free and best to use without any risks for ransomware etc?

and i do not want to make a new install of windows 10, i already tried, but then i lose all my software and audio settings AGAIN for the 3rd time in 1 year and i am tired of having to setup everything new again, while it should be technically possible to just copy the files to a different hdd...

:)

JeroenVerbaarschot, Nov 1, 2018

2. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Nov 1, 2018
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Stop Recovery Loop on Old System Drive Hooked Up as USB

Stan,

If I understand you correctly, you are booting up the new computer with the old HDD already connected.

• That will confuse Windows.
    • The old HDD still has a signature on it that identifies itself as a disk containing
      the OS so Windows is trying to cope with both that signature & the signature on your new computer's own HDD which also has a signature saying that it contains
      the OS.

Disconnect the old HDD then boot up the new computer and only then connect the old HDD to copy files across from it.

Denis

Tryx3, Nov 1, 2018
  4. what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains...

HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains...

1. what to do when you install a new HDD and want to get rid of the old one but it contains... - Similar Threads - install HDD rid

2. Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?: Windows 10 10.0.19045.4046 2009, 22H2I have 41 *.URL files in Favorites. One is called vspeed.url and has the URL https://www.verizon.com/speedtest.It is the only one for which a double-click gives the security warning "Do you want to open this file?".I have already:ICACLS...
  3. Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?: Windows 10 10.0.19045.4046 2009, 22H2I have 41 *.URL files in Favorites. One is called vspeed.url and has the URL https://www.verizon.com/speedtest.It is the only one for which a double-click gives the security warning "Do you want to open this file?".I have already:ICACLS...
  4. Get rid of "Do you want to open this file"?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. what do you do when the get button is gone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what do you do when the get button is gone?: so how do you get the get button because i want to get out because i cant download minecraft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-you-do-when-the-get-button-is-gone/2964ba7d-3ed0-4845-ad0d-e037f26ee0db
  6. what do you do when the get button is gone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what do you do when the get button is gone?: so how do you get the get button because i want to get out because i cant download minecraft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-you-do-when-the-get-button-is-gone/2964ba7d-3ed0-4845-ad0d-e037f26ee0db
  7. do you have to remove old Java before installing new one?

in Windows 10 Customization
    do you have to remove old Java before installing new one?: Do u have to remove old one before new one?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-you-have-to-remove-old-java-before-installing/c414fcef-55b6-4079-ac94-46798bff02d6
  8. How do you get rid of Edge? I want to uninstall it.

in Browsers and Email
    How do you get rid of Edge? I want to uninstall it.: I would also like Cortana off there as well. What a waste of memory. And Edge does not work with any of the programs that we run. Super Frustrating*Mad 34319
  9. After SSD Installation What Do I Do With Old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After SSD Installation What Do I Do With Old HDD: Hello Everyone, I just installed a new 500 gb SSD and successfully moved the Operating System and data. I want to use the old HDD that still has an OS for storage. What do I need to do next? I downloaded AOMEI Petition Assistant but am not sure which option(s) I should...
  10. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD: Hi All, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD. 1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD...