Windows 10: What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence?

Discus and support What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, As said in the title, I recently changed my OEM activation key Windows 10 for a Retail one. Now, since the OEM is no longer in use, is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RogerCimon, Nov 25, 2020.

1. What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence?

Hi,

As said in the title, I recently changed my OEM activation key Windows 10 for a Retail one. Now, since the OEM is no longer in use, is it possible to reuse it on another PC? Can I resell it?

Thanks in adavance for your help, Y.C.

:)

RogerCimon, Nov 25, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

OEM to Retail

Hi Aravind

Is the Retail licence the same edition (Home, Pro . . etc) as the OEM licence?

Do you have the product key for your Retail licence?

If so, open the Settings App, go to Update and Security - activation

Click 'Change Product Key' and enter your retail licence key . . .

DaveM121, Nov 25, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    OEM or Retail Windows?

Hi AsusX441U

Well, I would be concerned with the USB you purchased online, and when the seller indicated it would activate automatically, because that should not happen for any version of Windows 10 purchased, that should only happen for a pre-installed OEM licence, which
    is stored on a chip on the motherboard . . .

You could try removing the licence key for that OEM licence, and then apply your retail licence key, but honestly, I don't know how they have got that licence to activate automatically . . .

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

On the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this into Command Prompt and press Enter

slmgr /upk

Then close Command Prompt, that will have removed the current OEM licence key . . .

DaveM121, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Sharief K Win User

What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence?

Sharief K, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence?

1. What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence? - Similar Threads - OEM key switching

2. What is the different windows OEM retail and volume key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the different windows OEM retail and volume key?: What is the different windows OEM retail and volume key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-different-windows-oem-retail-and/d286d726-7b62-43d9-ad85-f520d89f9c80
  3. What is the different windows OEM retail and volume key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the different windows OEM retail and volume key?: What is the different windows OEM retail and volume key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-different-windows-oem-retail-and/d286d726-7b62-43d9-ad85-f520d89f9c80
  4. What is deferent windows OEM and Retail?

What is deferent windows OEM and Retail?: What is the difference between OEM and retail Windows versions, and which one offers the most support? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-deferent-windows-oem-and-retail/be7c7e24-bc40-4f32-9703-8a1b53656198
  5. Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.: I had in my PC retail licence. I need change to OEM. So i bought OEM licence. When i format my PC and then try to install WIN again and type the OEM licence code, after install when i check version in CMD through slmgr.vbs /dlv. I always end in Retail. Can someone help me...
  6. Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.: I had in my PC retail licence. I need change to OEM. So i bought OEM licence. When i format my PC and then try to install WIN again and type the OEM licence code, after install when i check version in CMD through slmgr.vbs /dlv. I always end in Retail. Can someone help me...
  7. Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.

8. Retail and OEM product keys

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Retail and OEM product keys: Hello there, I want to buy a product key to activate my OS. In the web I found that there are two types. One is using a retail keyquite expensive and other is using a OEM key. I further found that once you activate using a OEM key it is locked to that device while retail...
  9. Windows to retail key switched to oem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows to retail key switched to oem: So I recently built a new desktop, and I realized I had an old laptop with windows 10 on it, so I took the key from that pc and put it onto my new desktop. Everything is working great, but I am wanting to take the key off when I clone my ssd, so I can put it back on after....
  10. OEM windows 7 to retail windows 10? Do I need a new licence key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OEM windows 7 to retail windows 10? Do I need a new licence key?: Hi all. I'm about to build a new PC and was wondering if I'll need to purchase a new licence for Windows 10. My current PC (the one I'm using now and about to replace) was custom built by myself in 2014, and when I did so I used an OEM DVD copy of windows 7 (Home Premium I...