Windows 10: What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB?

Discus and support What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have new 2TB external drive for backups and not sure for what to use old 2.5 hard drives (spinners): 250 and 500GB. Any suggestion? 170968 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jason2004, Dec 21, 2020.

1. jason2004 Win User

What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB?

I have new 2TB external drive for backups and not sure for what to use old 2.5 hard drives (spinners): 250 and 500GB.

Any suggestion?

:)

jason2004, Dec 21, 2020
  2. gordon99 Win User

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Dec 21, 2020
  3. Windows 10 hard drive transfer to another computer

You are correct: I did not really understand what you are trying to do. In fact I am still not 100% sure. Here are some points to consider:

• If you wish to replace the existing 250 GByte disk with a 1 TByte disk then cloning the old disk would be the answer. Acronis True Image could do it.
    • If you want to take your 1 TByte disk from your old machine and use it on your new machine while keeping its contents intact then you are likely to get these results:

- Windows will fail.

- The product key will be invalid.

- The current installation of the disk will be damaged.
    In other words, you cannot take a disk from one machine and use it "as is" on another machine.

Frederik Long, Dec 21, 2020
  4. What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB?

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB?

1. What to do with old hard drives: 250 and 500GB? - Similar Threads - old hard drives

2. 500gb hard drive only had 5gb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    500gb hard drive only had 5gb: recently I've had to factory reset my PC, prior to this my 2 500gb hard drives have worked fine, however since I reset my PC, one of my hard drives only has 5gb available, even when there's nothing in it. How can I fix this?...
  3. 500gb hard drive only had 5gb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    500gb hard drive only had 5gb: recently I've had to factory reset my PC, prior to this my 2 500gb hard drives have worked fine, however since I reset my PC, one of my hard drives only has 5gb available, even when there's nothing in it. How can I fix this?...
  4. 500gb hard drive only had 5gb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What should I do with two old extra hard disk drives

What should I do with two old extra hard disk drives: I have two HDDs that i am pretty sure are both sata 3 and they were both taken out of laptops. So i went onto amazon to buy two enclosures for them. My current setupthey havent arrived yet is a kingston a400 sata 3 250gb ssd, 2x intel celeron 1017u 1.6mhz cpus,8 gb ram2x 4,...
  6. Essue of Hard drive replcement with old laptop's hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Essue of Hard drive replcement with old laptop's hard drive: I have replced my laptop's hard drive with the hard drive of my old laptope. I tried to reinstall window from a dvd but my laptope show error that.. "you are using a already runing hard drive so window can not be install and i may not work on this pc.. Please insert back...
  7. using old hard drives

using old hard drives: I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-old-hard-drives/2db83d2f-0c2c-4d23-80e5-623fbc526676"
  8. format old hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    format old hard drive: Do i have to format old hard drive to install windows 10 from cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-hard-drive/78cd15c3-9d15-41fe-b88a-590b61a502ec
  9. Kesu USB 3.0 SCSI 500GB external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Kesu USB 3.0 SCSI 500GB external hard drive: Recently bought a Kesu USB 3.0 SCSI 500GB external hard drive. My problem is that it shows under the disk drives in the device manager, but not in the file explorer. I am running windows 10. How can I correct this problem. Thank you for your cooperation....
  10. My hard drives disappeared and storage decreased from 1tb to 500gb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My hard drives disappeared and storage decreased from 1tb to 500gb: I am using linux in my pc and i want to change my os to windows 10. I tried to install windows 10 through legacy which already consists linux & I installed successfully.BUT AFTER INSTALLATION MY STORAGE DRIVES ONLY SHOWING ONLY 500GB REMAINING STORAGE DISAPPEARED. And its not...