Windows 10: What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

Discus and support What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I bought a few 32GB sticks the other day. They came formatted with FAT32. Immediately I had trouble copying the Win10 20H2 ISO to it (greater than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/randopop21, Feb 23, 2021.

1. What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

I bought a few 32GB sticks the other day. They came formatted with FAT32. Immediately I had trouble copying the Win10 20H2 ISO to it (greater than 4GB).

Formatting to NTFS solved it of course.

But I'm curious if, for use as a general USB stick (plugging it into Windows, Linux, and maybe Mac), should I use exFAT instead? Or stick with NTFS?

Is there any reason to use FAT32 anymore?

submitted by /u/randopop21
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/randopop21, Feb 23, 2021

2. how til convert 64 GB USB stick fra format exFAT to NTFS

how til convert 64 GB USB stick fra format exFAT to NTFS

Joernolejensen, Feb 23, 2021
  3. graye Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

So, that appears to indicate that Macrium doesn't care about the format... as long as the file system can be "seen" by your system.

I'd suggest exFAT...
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html

graye, Feb 23, 2021
  4. What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

how til convert 64 GB USB stick fra format exFAT to NTFS

Hi,

We're glad you reached out. To be able to convert your 64GB USB stick from exFAT to NTFS format, you may have to install a third-party app on your PC. It's best that you contact the device manufacturer for further assistance.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Rommel Diw, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

1. What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT? - Similar Threads - format larger USB

2. Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupted USB Drive in exFat format: I was doing a backup of some files from my laptop to my 1TB USB Drive in exFat format.During the file transfer, the progress suddenly stopped and I got the message "The Semaphore Timeout Period Has Expired". The file explorer freezed and I was forced the end the process. Then...
  3. USB stick with 20H2 version formatted as NTFS and exFAT not bootable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB stick with 20H2 version formatted as NTFS and exFAT not bootable: Hello Redditors! I downloaded the ISO file for Win10 from the Microsoft website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO). The only available version for downloading is 20H2 - October update. The total of all files is somewhere around 6.2GB, which...
  4. USB not being formatted to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB not being formatted to NTFS: I have a Samsung Bar 8gb USB which doesn't format to NTFS file system in explorer it says windows unable to format, diskpart successes but when I try to replug in it says the disk structure is corrupted. What have I tried: Formatting in windows explorer (failed) Formatting...
  5. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  6. unable to read exFAT on USB stick

unable to read exFAT on USB stick: I have a Lenovo Yoga 520, 64-bit, Windows 10 Home. I have inserted a 128GB USB that has exFAT files on it. The laptop identifies the USB as drive E, but shows no files. Properties for the USB shows: Used space 768kb Free space 117GB There is supposed to be a .exe file...
  7. USB stick works with exFat but not with NTFS when full

USB stick works with exFat but not with NTFS when full: I've just observed a very strange behavior. So I'm curious if anyone can explain this? I bought these cheap chinese USB sticks on amazon (x10 for $40 or something like this.) They originally came pre-formatted as FAT32. So I was trying to transfer several large files today...
  8. exFat vs NTFS

exFat vs NTFS: ExFat can only save files up to 4 GBs. If you save a 20 GB file using it, you end up with at least 5 files instead of 1. Which would be the case if you were using NTFS format on your device. NTFS can handle any sized file intact. I only use Fat32 or exFat format on usb...
  9. Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?

Overwrite exFAT format of 8TB external drive with NTFS?: I have an external WD 8TB My Book: My Book - External Hard Drive | Western Digital (WD) It is formated in exFat. Could I do a quick format with NTFS? Would this cause any drawbacks? 94361
  10. NTFS formatted USB drive cannot be safely removed - use exFAT?

NTFS formatted USB drive cannot be safely removed - use exFAT?: I have a problem with NTFS formatted USB thumbdrives which often gets the "cannot be safely removed" error when I try to eject the drive. The thumbdrive in device manager is set to quick removal policy by default so I don't have to change it but I still keep running into this...