Windows 10: What to restrict application for user to use

Discus and support What to restrict application for user to use in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi , I want to restrict user to use specific applications , just like the PC in public area such as library . I just found there are some way to do it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by derek chan, Jul 19, 2021.

1. What to restrict application for user to use

Hi , I want to restrict user to use specific applications , just like the PC in public area such as library . I just found there are some way to do it - kiosk mode and applocker , just would like to ask what is the most common way to do it ? I hv learned how to setup kiosk mode , is it good to apply it ? if use kiosk mode , I do not need to use applocker ? thanks

:)

derek chan, Jul 19, 2021
  2. Arun B J Win User

Unable to set restriction for local user in Windows 10

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How did you noticed that user is still able to access the drive?

• Did you log into the local user account and check the permission?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to restrict the user.

• In File Explorer, right click on the drive which you want to restrict.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit to change the permissions.
    • Uncheck all the permission for system.
    • Click OK and make sure the change is applied to all subfolders and files.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Jul 19, 2021
  3. Need some restriction of my standard user in my PC

The easiest way to restrict a standard user from accessing the files of another user account is by ensuring that the files are saved to the
    C:\Users\<AdministratorUsername> folder or the %userprofiles% folder. If a standard user attempts to access the files from the said folder, by default, it would instantly prompt for the administrator's credentials in order
    to access it.

If you wish to put restrictions on a specific file, you may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the specific file and choose Properties.
    • Choose Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit
      OK.
    • You can now manage the restrictions for the user profile, under Permissions for <username>.
    If you wanted to set a restriction on the Local Drive, follow these steps:

• Double-click This PC.
    • Right-click on Local Disk (CWhat to restrict application for user to use :).
    • Choose Properties.
    • Select Security tab.
    • Click Edit.
    • Choose Add.
    • Type the username, click Check Name and then, hit OK.
    • Set the level of restriction for the said drive.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jul 19, 2021
  4. What to restrict application for user to use

Installing Applications to Select User Accounts

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to avoid the access of all the application in all users. We will help you try resolving this issue.

I suggest you to check while installing any software it gives an option to install on all users or any particular user only.

However this would be application specific to manufacturer.

You can try following the below steps also and check if it helps.

• When you install the software or an application, it makes a shortcut or copy to the public folder where all the users can access the application.
    • Open C:\ Drive and select Users.
    • Select Public, select the files which you don't want to be used by other users and delete the files or Cut and paste in Admin account folder.
    Note: To perform this steps be logged into Admin user.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 19, 2021
Thema:

What to restrict application for user to use

1. What to restrict application for user to use - Similar Threads - restrict application user

2. How to restrict user to not install any application without administrator password if users...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restrict user to not install any application without administrator password if users...: All the users are linked to Microsoft 365 and are managed through Microsoft 365 along with devices. I came across an option to use "Endpoint security" from "Microsoft Intune Admin Center" in which "Managed Installer" can be enabled.But the downfall which I see with this is...
  3. How to restrict user to not install any application without administrator password if users...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restrict user to not install any application without administrator password if users...: All the users are linked to Microsoft 365 and are managed through Microsoft 365 along with devices. I came across an option to use "Endpoint security" from "Microsoft Intune Admin Center" in which "Managed Installer" can be enabled.But the downfall which I see with this is...
  4. What to restrict application for user to use

in Windows 10 Support
    What to restrict application for user to use: Hi , I want to restrict user to use specific applications , just like the PC in public area such as library . I just found there are some way to do it - kiosk mode and applocker , just would like to ask what is the most common way to do it ? I hv learned how to setup kiosk...
  5. Restrict an application to one occurrence

Restrict an application to one occurrence: I'd like to restrict my Family History software application to just one one occurrence, to minimise the possibility of making different alts on two different occurrences of the program I'm a home (WIn10 64) user, with a single user, and no network access to the software I...
  6. Restricted to install applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restricted to install applications: Bought a new dell precision laptop with pre-installed windows 10 home. However I am unable to install VLC and Shot video editor. Please help me figure this out....
  7. Guest User Restriction

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Guest User Restriction: Hello. I want to restrict access to a drive by a local user account. With my admin account I did Properties > Security > Remove all access for that user account. And when I switch to the other account it just shows NTFS drive and inaccessible. But within that account when I...
  8. User restrictions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User restrictions: How can I restrict a user profile from downloading programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-restrictions/701495f4-6697-427d-ad20-16d961188fa1"
  9. restrict user to run only a few applications Windows Home edition

restrict user to run only a few applications Windows Home edition: Hi. I created a user name titled "Visitor". How can I (without a lot of registry changes) allow Visitor to run only 5 or 6 applications. I have created a unique desktop for Visitor with only those icons. Visitor is not a family member. Or can I create a unique start menu...
  10. Restricting Local Users

Restricting Local Users: Please don't mind. I know this topic does not belong to this forum but I posted this earlier in User Safety Forum and even yesterday also posted in User Safety Forum but did not receive any reply. So I thought to try in this Forum. My problem is as follows : I have two...