Windows 10: What uses Tmp and temp?

Discus and support What uses Tmp and temp? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The Windows OS uses those folders. In the old days, you could safely delete anything in those folders as it didn't matter. Now days, I'm pretty sure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by play2mefish, Jan 13, 2020.

1. What uses Tmp and temp?

The Windows OS uses those folders. In the old days, you could safely delete anything in those folders as it didn't matter. Now days, I'm pretty sure Windows 10 will monitor delete and update as necessary.

:)

play2mefish, Jan 13, 2020
  2. jwill266 Win User

Temp and TMP and Temporary Internet Files locations

You may also change this in the registry but I wouldn't advise it unless you know exactly what you are doing. Make sure you back up your registry and computer first before you make any changes to the system of this kind of nature. Here is how to do this.

Win + R then type regedit in the run box. Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_USER and expand it. Look down this list and find CONTROL PANEL, expand it and click on Environment. You will see key entries TMP and Temp on the right. Select then right click on them and select
    modify. Change them to, for example: F:\Temp, or which ever drive you wish to use as a temp drive. Make sure that you change the value for both TMP and Temp.

jwill266, Jan 13, 2020
  3. How to set system TEMP and TMP to a different drive in Windows 10.

Hi Kens,

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

To change the location of the System Temp folder, follow the steps given below.

• Right click on Computer and click on Properties. In the resulting window with the basic

information about your computer

• Click on Advanced system settings on the left panel resulting in a dialog box click on the advanced tab.

• Click on the button near the bottom labeled Environment Variables.

• You may see both TMP and TEMP listed in the section labeled User variables for (account). That's the common location; each different login account is assigned its own temporary location.

• In the Variable value Edit box you may specify the path to the directory that Windows and many other programs will use for temporary files.

Be sure and repeat that process for both TMP and TEMP.

You'll need to restart any running programs for the new value to take effect. In fact, you'll need to restart Windows for it to begin using the new value for its own temporary files.

To change the location of the Internet Temp folder, follow the steps given below.

Note: That Internet Explorer moves cookies to the new folder and the old folder is removed. Additionally, the following message is displayed when you attempt to move the Temporary Internet Files folder:

Warning: Moving the location of your Temporary Internet Files folder will delete all your subscription data.

• Create a new folder to store the files. For example, if you want to store the files in a folder named Ietemp on drive D, create the following folder:
    D:\Ietemp

For information about how to create a folder, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type
    new folder, and then double-click the "New Folders" topic.

• Start Internet Explorer.
    • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    • On the General tab, click Settings.
    • Click Move Folder.
    • Click the folder you created in Step 1.
    • Click OK, click OK, and then click OK again.
    • Restart your computer

You can change the location of Internet explorer temp folder; there is no security threat to your computer.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jan 13, 2020
  4. What uses Tmp and temp?

Changing TEMP / TMP variables causes print spooler errors!

I recently installed a new printer, but shortly afterwards found that I could not print from certain applications (such as Excel and Acrobat Reader), even though the test page worked. I then found that I could not print using the Microsoft Print to PDF
    printer either. Other user profiles on my system did print successfully.

I was on the point of creating a new user profile (not something I would do lightly) when I stumbled across this thread:

Doing "Microsoft Print to PDF" "a error occurred while printing" | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

in which it was suggested that having TEMP or TMP set to non-default values could cause printing problems.

Indeed, having reset my user's TEMP and TMP to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp instead of D:\Temp, normal printing was resumed!

This would appear to be a bug, perhaps in the print spooler - in these days of SSDs it's not unreasonable to want to move temporary file activity to a second hard drive, to save space and write cycles on the SSD, and thus to change the TEMP location.

Is Microsoft aware, and working on a fix?

JonathanHodgson- [O365], Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

What uses Tmp and temp?

1. What uses Tmp and temp? - Similar Threads - uses Tmp temp

2. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  3. What is the "TMP" folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the "TMP" folder?: I have this "TMP" folder on my second drive : And inside of it, there are a lot of strange files :Can I delete this folder safely? Because some files are new from today in it 13 GB, so I don't know if it's a Windows thing...
  4. What is the "TMP" folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the "TMP" folder?: I have this "TMP" folder on my second drive : And inside of it, there are a lot of strange files :Can I delete this folder safely? Because some files are new from today in it 13 GB, so I don't know if it's a Windows thing...
  5. Big .tmp files in %temp%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Big .tmp files in %temp%: Hi, recently I noticed that i need more space on my C: drive and I found a lot of big .tmp files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folder [from 500MB to 800MB]. The problem is that the Windows is showing 16GB of Temp files, but disk cleanup can delete only 25MB, Any...
  6. Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp

in Windows 10 Support
    Tmp files/folders in C:\Windows\Temp: I was recently looking in C:\Windows\Temp and found many (hundreds) of folders in this directory. These folders each contains a file called "tmp00000000", these files are zero length. The folders in Windows\Temp are all in the form "tmp00000xxx" or "tmp0000xxxx", where...
  7. Is there a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?: So I have a SSD only for the windows and programs and a HDD for the rest of my files, the SSD was almost full so I decided to change the TEMP and TMP folder to the HDD that had a lot of empty space... Problem is, after that microsoft store isn't working and gives me the error...
  8. Theres a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?

Theres a way to change TEMP & TMP directorys and still can use the troubleshooter?: So I have a SSD only for the windows and programs and a HDD for the rest of my files, the SSD was almost full so I decided to change the TEMP and TMP folder to the HDD that had a lot of empty space... Problem is, after that microsoft store isn't working and gives me the error...
  9. Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp

Deleting tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp: Hello Should I be deleting .tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp? If so, when I try, I get a message saying I need administrator permission. As a user, I am an administrator. Even if I log on as "Administrator," I get the same message saying I need administrator approval. I...
  10. Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding TEMP/TMP default location: Hi, I was wondering if it's alright or not a good idea to change the path of TEMP/TMP folder? I have SSD(C) as my OS and apps like PS, Maya etc. and HDD(D) to just store things and apps that performance is not really concerned. I had Win7 before recently upgraded to Win10 and...