Windows 10: What VPN services does everyone use?

Discus and support What VPN services does everyone use? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Trying to gather a concensus of what everyone might use as a VPN client program, or if they found a server and made their own connection with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Conrad137, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Conrad137 Win User

What VPN services does everyone use?

Trying to gather a concensus of what everyone might use as a VPN client program, or if they found a server and made their own connection with Windows VPN. I've been trying tons of different programs all day, and have not fallen in love with any so far. I've also tried finding a reliable list of servers with PW's to maybe do it manually through Windows, but nothing. There are just so many out there!

:)

Conrad137, Sep 16, 2017
  2. Sadi Sen Win User

Cannot connect to a VPN

I had the same issue on our new Windows 10 notebooks but if I switched the user, it disconnected my VPN. So I setup a VPN connection with a local user and allowed the usage for everyone. It became available as "VPN before login" and now could login with
    my domain user and did a gpupdate /force. In my case, the "login before vpn" and gpupdate afterwards solved my issue. "Trust this computer for delegation to any service" wasn't even necessary in my case.

Sadi Sen, Sep 16, 2017
  3. ekvargas Win User
    SSL VPN and N95!

Hi everyone,

I have a nokia n95 and I need to connect to a SSL VPN but I can't. I am reading about it and the nokia VPN client is only for IPsec VPN not for SSL VPN.

It is good to know that an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) VPN is a form of VPN that can be used with a standar Web browser. In contrast to the traditional Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) VPN, an SSL VPN does not require the installation of specialized
    client software on the end user's terminals.

I need to know if Nokia phones are supporting Juniper Netscreen SSL-VPN devices.

I hope somebody can help me. Some advice?

Thanks in advance.

ekvargas, Sep 16, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

simrick, Sep 16, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'd suggest another approach.

Buy yourself a Domain --that can be very cheap depending on the suffix (e.g .gg guernsey, eu european Union, etc. Loads available).

Now host it in a place where you want your VPN for example you can buy hosting services anywhere on the planet.

In general though I'd avoid hosting in UK or USA as there seems to be a massive attempt by authorities in those countries to control the Internet. Any Nordic country is good as well as Hong Kong (yes still 100% OK) Israel, Roumania, Seychelles and a few others. If you insist on buying a VPN service then same caveat applies - buy one hosted in the places I've listed.

You can either register the domain name yourself :

How to Register Your Own Domain Name: What to Do, Which Registrar, etc (thesitewizard.com)

You'll then need to host it somewhere which you can do on your own servers if your ISP can handle that or buy a hosting service.

or use a registration service.

Absolutely brilliant documentation here explains the whole process

General Started with your Website (thesitewizard.com)

simply though after getting your domain host it somewhere .

To do this when you buy the domain you get it from a reliable registrar and initially the domain will be "parked" there. When it's active (takes around 24 hrs after purchasing the domain) you can move it to the hosting service of your choice. Some registrars as well as registering your domain name offer hosting services too.

Now once you've got your hosting service up and running you can set up things like L.A.M.P (Linux, apache,MySql,PHP) on a Linux host (the OS will already be set up) or W.A.M.P on a Windows server --windows hosts though usually cost a lot more.

Now you can logon to your server and do what you like with it and unlike obscure VPN servers it will run for as long as you keep the domain registered -- also if the hosting country changes the law you can move the domain again very easily - these days though that's rarely if ever necessary.

If you want you can even give your domain address an "Onion" type URL --via TOR etc if you get really paranoid about people monitoring the Internet.

For accessing "geo restricted content" Legally -- I know it's a contradiction in terms -- you might need 2 or 3 domains depending on what you want to access. If a domain is hosted in the USA for example it' s 100% legal to logon to it and access say USA Netflix even if you are somewhere in the south Pacific !!!.

A RELIABLE and fast VPN won't necessarily be cheap and it's always a risk that content can be blocked. Using your own domains makes that probability much less likely and while more complex to set up initially costs won't be much different.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What VPN services does everyone use? - Similar Threads - VPN services does

2. What is VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is VPN: U have it on my phone Google one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-vpn/bc8525ee-1163-4723-af56-7adff7104ef0
  3. What is VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is VPN: U have it on my phone Google one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-vpn/bc8525ee-1163-4723-af56-7adff7104ef0
  4. find a VPN service provider

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    find a VPN service provider: where to find a VPN service provider? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-a-vpn-service-provider/5b8f326d-29c9-4052-adf8-5018ebd11e6f
  5. what things are best to use for a vpn

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what things are best to use for a vpn: um I really want to know how to set up a very good VPN because I don't know how to and I have tried many times so I want to know how to set up the best VPN possible....
  6. What happened that I have to use VPN?

What happened that I have to use VPN?: I have a "strange" problem accessing a website (kls-soft.com) and the WSCC software on that website - so far, at least - and I wish someone could help me. Initial information: (1) I use Firefox (latest version) (2) DNS servers 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8; (3) I also use WSCC,...
  7. What services does the System Restore utility use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What services does the System Restore utility use?: Im aware that it uses Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy. Nevertheless i get a 0x800423F3 error when I try using it. Please dont focus too much on that. I just want to know what more services it relies on....
  8. What is VPN & what does it do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is VPN & what does it do: I want to know what VPN is & what it does. Does it slow down the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-vpn-what-does-it-do/02c457a5-404a-4127-9626-b65a9072c093
  9. does not connect to vpn

does not connect to vpn: Please Help solve the problem with vpn (L2TP). Problem: I set up the connection, click on the connection and hangs the connection sign, and then writes that there may be an error in NAT. To solve this problem, Microsoft has a solution -...
  10. VPN.ac - A good VPN service?

VPN.ac - A good VPN service?: There is this website called Restore Privacy that touts it as one of the best. The best it proclaims is just way too expensive and I didn't get very fast speeds when I tried the trial. But the website owner seems like he put a lot of effort into analyzing the best VPN...