Windows 10: What will happen if I activate Windows 10 Pro with a new key?

Discus and support What will happen if I activate Windows 10 Pro with a new key? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’ve been using an unactivated version of Windows 10 Pro for several years and recently bought a key so I can get rid of that watermark and use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BigMeatBobby, Dec 28, 2019.

1. What will happen if I activate Windows 10 Pro with a new key?

I’ve been using an unactivated version of Windows 10 Pro for several years and recently bought a key so I can get rid of that watermark and use the other features that I’m locked out of. Do I need to do anything other than type in the key like backup my hard drive? Will Windows 10 have to redownload or will it be quick? Also, I’m getting a new CPU in a couple weeks and I saw in a video that if you upgrade components in your computer you’ll need to buy another key so should I wait until I install my new CPU to activate Windows?

submitted by /u/BigMeatBobby
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BigMeatBobby, Dec 28, 2019
  2. FX-GMC Win User

Windows 8.1 pro + WMC key activation

This worked for me last time with a Win 8 key.

Install Windows 8.1 and enter KMS key during setup. Once in windows change product key to my Windows 8 key. Go to add features and enter my WMC add-on key. Drink a beer to a job well done.

FX-GMC, Dec 28, 2019
  3. tigger Win User

I was considering buying a WMC pro add on for my windows 8.1 pro install, but have googled and found some people had trouble activating it. Has anyone on here got any experience with this.

As to my install, I have a real Windows 8 pro key. So I installed windows 8 pro using a MSDN retail .iso which was activated soon as it finished installing , then I updated to .1 pro.

When you buy the WMC add on, it changes your key, I have read some people have had trouble activating it, now mine activates from windows, I hate doing the phone activation crap, so I don't want to have to do that after the WMC add on finishes installing.

The question is, what happens to my windows 8 pro key, is it still usable? and how would i go about if I had to reinstall? would it have to be-

Install win 8 pro-update to 8.1-install WMC add on, or could i use a windows 8.1 pro with WMC disc?

Thanks guys

Tigger

tigger, Dec 28, 2019
  4. tigger Win User

What will happen if I activate Windows 10 Pro with a new key?

So it will be fine installing 8.1 pro with a KMS key, then switch to my 8 pro key and it will activate ok?

Maybe a daft question but why can't you just install 8.1 pro with the 8 pro key, or is it different keys for 8 and 8.1? seems silly when 8.1 is a free update anyway.

tigger, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

What will happen if I activate Windows 10 Pro with a new key?

1. What will happen if I activate Windows 10 Pro with a new key? - Similar Threads - happen activate Pro

2. What happens to the old activation? Key Windows 7 pro in Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens to the old activation? Key Windows 7 pro in Windows 11 Pro: I'm concerned that I might lose my license.I'm wondering if the license will restrict new system updates? Or am I just being forced to buy a new key?...
  3. What happens to the old activation? Key Windows 7 pro in Windows 11 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happens to the old activation? Key Windows 7 pro in Windows 11 Pro: I'm concerned that I might lose my license.I'm wondering if the license will restrict new system updates? Or am I just being forced to buy a new key?...
  4. Transferring Windows 10 Pro activation key to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows 10 Pro activation key to new laptop: How can I transfer Windows 10 Pro activation key used in my old laptop that stopped working to my new laptop? I have both of these devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  5. What happens if i dont activate windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What happens if i dont activate windows: also im broke and i cant afford $200 for win 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happens-if-i-dont-activate-windows/4d47d0b6-f2dc-4118-83c1-5445354e099d
  6. What happens if i dont activate windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens if i dont activate windows: also im broke and i cant afford $200 for win 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happens-if-i-dont-activate-windows/4d47d0b6-f2dc-4118-83c1-5445354e099d
  7. What happens if i dont activate windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. I have buy new windows 10 pro activation key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have buy new windows 10 pro activation key: Dear Microsoft team Please be inform that i i ha buy new wimdows10 pro CD with activation key, but unfortunately when i try to scratching the key code some of the code deleted attached photo Please can you rectify my key code. Regards, Frij kazazian [IMG]...
  9. Windows Pro Activation Not Happening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Pro Activation Not Happening: Hello All, My computer came with Windows Home Single Language Version. Since I need multiple language versions I purchased the upgrade to Windows Pro through the Windows Store for $99. It upgraded and everything went smoothly. I now have my two languages. BUT (there is...
  10. can I activate windows 10 pro with a new windows 7 pro key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can I activate windows 10 pro with a new windows 7 pro key?: can I activate windows 10 pro with a new windows 7 pro key? Is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-activate-windows-10-pro-with-a-new-windows-7/d74c7257-c8e8-441f-9b6b-7a33c5332a6a