Windows 10: What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI

Discus and support What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a windows 10 computer. I wanted to download windows7 alongside it. I didn't want to enter windows7. It shows a problem and it has many options... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ali Kartite, May 30, 2023.

1. What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI

I have a windows 10 computer. I wanted to download windows7 alongside it. I didn't want to enter windows7. It shows a problem and it has many options eg: start normal, safe mode or advance. when you click on any problem it shows another problem, so I looked for it and found it I have to change from AHCI to IDE, I didn't I don't change it because I was Afraid on windows 10 that something will happen to him.Should change it or not?AHCI

:)

Ali Kartite, May 30, 2023
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, May 30, 2023
  3. Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

I need to change an existing Windows 10 Home 64-bit installation startup drive from AHCI to IDE (a step backwards, but is needed to accommodate another operating system in a multi-boot environment.) I do not wish to install Windows 10 again. I am able to
    change the motherboard BIOS setting between AHCI and IDE/ATA and have verified that this is effective. Until I make some change to Windows 10 to allow it to start from IDE/ATA drive, it cannot complete the start-up process in the IDE/ATA mode.

I have found many instructions for Windows 10 on going from IDE to AHCI, but none in the other direction (FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA)

The procedure below (URL) DID work for me with Windows 7 when tried previously, but I cannot assume it will work for Windows 10.

I am looking for a step-by-step procedure such as the one posted in April 24 2013 by Balaji Kundalam which was very clear and thorough treatment of the issue for Windows 7 users.

Redirecting

Thank you for guidance

firefoxforme, May 30, 2023
  4. wwsras Win User

What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI

W10 AHCI Reverts Back to IDE

I initially had difficulty with W10 recognizing AHCI properly in order to use my SSD drive. I located a fix which provided instructions to change 2 registry settings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\....Change Error Control entry and StartOverride to 0

I did so and everything works fine for awhile but W10 eventually drops the AHCI controller causing my PC to more or less come to a standstill. The registry changes I made actually revert back to the original settings before I changed both to 0. How strange.
    I have to reboot, disable AHCI in BIOS, change the registry settings back to 0, reboot, re-enable AHCI in BIOS and everything works again as planned...until it happens again.

Any suggestions why this keeps happening and how I can permanently configure W10 and the registry to always recognize AHCI?

Thanks

wwsras, May 30, 2023
Thema:

What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI

1. What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI - Similar Threads - happen did IDE

2. What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What will happen if I did the IDE and it didn't work then I went back to AHCI: I have a windows 10 computer. I wanted to download windows7 alongside it. I didn't want to enter windows7. It shows a problem and it has many options eg: start normal, safe mode or advance. when you click on any problem it shows another problem, so I looked for it and found...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  5. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  7. switching from ide to ahci works, but what is {current} in these instr

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    switching from ide to ahci works, but what is {current} in these instr: Switch Windows 10 from RAID/IDE to AHCI - Knowledgebase / Microsoft Windows - Critical Technology Solutions - Helpdesk Code: Click the Start Button and type cmd Right-click the result and select Run as administrator Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current}...
  8. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. AHCI vs regular Native IDE

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE: Hello. I feel that setting your SATA harddisks to AHCI mode can be mandatory when you have a SSD drive. Doing some benchmarks on my Intel i7 shows that my SSD it's 50% slower running under IDE. Besides I am not sure but does IDE support TRIM commands? But what about...