Windows 10: What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1?

Discus and support What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For those of us who purchased a Windows 8/8.1 RT tablet, we will never get an upgrade to Windows 10. Now, with "Built for Windows 10" (UWP) apps coming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by stamminator, Apr 14, 2016.

1. What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1?

For those of us who purchased a Windows 8/8.1 RT tablet, we will never get an upgrade to Windows 10. Now, with "Built for Windows 10" (UWP) apps coming in left and right, many including Windows 8 apps that were ported to UWP, what will happen to the existing app store in Windows 8/8.1? Because UWP apps do not have ARM processor support and thus cannot run on W8, fewer and fewer apps are going to be available.

Will the most recent non-UWP app remain available in the Windows 8 store available for download? If so, these apps may begin to break as the developer implements server-side changes that the UWP version is being updated to handle.

Will they be taken down from the W8 store entirely?

Just looking to find out how long my RT tablet is even going to be able to be usable. I have a bad feeling it won't be very long.

:)

stamminator, Apr 14, 2016

2. what will happen to the existing emails in our computer (currently using windows live mail) when we upgrade to w10

Yes, they will be preserved.

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc), games and settings (ie. passwords, custom
    dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for
    Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1? [​IMG]

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Wait while the scan prepares a report, when complete, you should see the following:

What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1? [​IMG]

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How
    to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Pad. Win User
    what will happen to the existing emails in our computer (currently using windows live mail) when we upgrade to w10

will my windows live mail will be intact during upgradation or we have to first take back up of all emails at windows live mail

4. What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1?

Courage, Stamminator (Sharp name, by the way). I have Windows 8 on my desktop, and it downloads fine from the Windows Store. I get occasional rejects because it isn't advanced enough, but there are enough free programs to keep me going.

Vince Massi, Apr 27, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Who knows - most likely guess is 8.1 Store will remain but effectively stagnate as developers abandon it?

cereberus, Apr 27, 2016
  6. Arthur Dent was - right 6*9 does equal 42!

If you're using base 13, it's true.

Vince Massi, Apr 27, 2016
  7. It will be around for quite some time, at least until 8.1's support ends. However, this was a risk that users took on when purchasing any RT devices.

DeaconFrost, Apr 27, 2016
  8. What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1?

What no one who purchased an RT device (especially in those early days) anticipated was a complete abandonment of ARM processor support in future versions on Windows. This still comes as a complete shock to me, considering the IoT focus that UWP apps are going to have, many of which are going to be ARM devices. It simply doesn't add up to me.

stamminator, Apr 27, 2016
  9. It wasn't a gamble based on the processor. It was a gamble based on the crippled OS. Windows RT was a proof of concept type release with limited focus and purpose.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1?

1. What will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1? - Similar Threads - happen Store

2. "Retrieving information from the Microsoft Store"....and nothing happens when trying to...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    "Retrieving information from the Microsoft Store"....and nothing happens when trying to...: It's been not working for days. Talk about making Microsoft look totally inept. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retrieving-information-from-the-microsoft-storeand/085c4f94-3fa7-4539-b0a4-92e6c41dfbe4
  3. "Retrieving information from the Microsoft Store"....and nothing happens when trying to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Retrieving information from the Microsoft Store"....and nothing happens when trying to...: It's been not working for days. Talk about making Microsoft look totally inept. Any solutions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/retrieving-information-from-the-microsoft-storeand/085c4f94-3fa7-4539-b0a4-92e6c41dfbe4
  4. "Retrieving information from the Microsoft Store"....and nothing happens when trying to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft store not opening ''try that again something happened on our end. waiting a bit...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store not opening ''try that again something happened on our end. waiting a bit...: Microsoft store not opening ''try that again something happened on our end. waiting a bit might help'' showing this message. i will do every tricks but still its not working...
  6. Microsoft store not opening ''try that again something happened on our end. waiting a bit...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store not opening ''try that again something happened on our end. waiting a bit...: Microsoft store not opening ''try that again something happened on our end. waiting a bit might help'' showing this message. i will do every tricks but still its not working...
  7. Microsoft store not opening ''try that again something happened on our end. waiting a bit...

8. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end": Hi! I've been trying to download Roblox app when the error appeared "try again later something happened on our end" I have looked at all the other threads and none of the commands or suggestions have worked. It is also definitely not the app problem as my store will not...
  9. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"

Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end": Hi! I've been trying to download Roblox app when the error appeared "try again later something happened on our end" I have looked at all the other threads and none of the commands or suggestions have worked. It is also definitely not the app problem as my store will not...
  10. Microsoft Store "Try again later, something happened on our end"