Windows 10: What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7

Discus and support What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, We will being doing a number of upgrades from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise. Other than uninstalling incompatible applications... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ken.Peterson, Aug 17, 2020.

1. What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7

Hi,

We will being doing a number of upgrades from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise.

Other than uninstalling incompatible applications and installing newer versions, I am concerned what the users will lose once the upgrades are complete.

In other words, I am wondering what settings and features will be wiped/overwritten and need to be redone afterward such as Outlook signatures, favorites, recent documents, desktop shortcuts, normal.dot files, wallpaper, templates, etc. Will these be lost or remain in place? Are there more setting/features the users will lose or need to be changed/added after as well?

Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken

:)

Ken.Peterson, Aug 17, 2020
  2. Uplink10 Win User

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users but not Enterprise users

Uplink10, Aug 17, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User

In what could be a fundamental shift in how Microsoft monetizes its flagship product, the Windows operating system, the company decided to offer its upcoming Windows 10 as a free upgrade for existing users of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. This offer will be applicable only for the first year following Windows 10 launch (after which, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10). Windows 10 will see the return of the Start Menu, a productive Desktop environment, and cutting-edge new API features such as DirectX 12.

What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7 116a_thm.jpg

Source: The Verge

btarunr, Aug 17, 2020
  4. What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7

Nice move, Microsoft! Or should I say trap!? *Shadedshun :shadedshu:

It is like a chess game, you think you saw a nice move to play but if you think deeper... You will lose your queen, bishops, knights, rooks and you are owned. *Confused What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7 :confused:

Blue-Knight, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7

1. What will users lose when doing a Windows 10 in-place upgrade from Windows 7 - Similar Threads - users lose doing

2. Windows 7 to Windows 10 In-Place upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 to Windows 10 In-Place upgrade: Hello All, Custom build PC. Has been running fine for years with updates on Windows 7 Pro. Looking to update to Windows 10 via in-place USB method created from mediacreationtool. 1. Computer is fully updated with drivers from manufacturers. Gigabyte board, etc, etc. 2....
  3. How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without losing data

in Windows 10 News
    How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without losing data: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you upgrade from one version of Windows to a higher version, new features get added to your computer, and at the same time, your files & data remain intact and unaffected. This means that a user can use their [...] This post How to upgrade from Windows...
  4. ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7

ei.cfg doesn't work for upgrade in place from Windows 7: Hi all, been beating my head against the wall for 3 days on this. This is one of two Windows 10 upgrade problems that I have. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 that came pre-installed with Windows 10 and the key embedded in the Bios. Specifically, ShowKey Plus Releases ....
  5. In place upgrading Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    In place upgrading Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: Hello, I am upgrading a domain joined computer from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro - The computer has two HDD's , one is an NVME with the OS on and the other is a mechanical disk with the applications installed on it (Has a program files folder, etc , etc) Will upgrading...
  6. How do you do an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you do an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise?: I have 150+ PCs with Windows 7 Enterprise. I need to upgrade them to Windows 10 Enterprise and not have to do clean installs. What is the best way to go about this? Ideally, I'd like to have a version of Windows 10 Enterprise on a dozen flash drives that I could go into an...
  7. How to perform in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

How to perform in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.: Dear All our company have around 120 window 7 pro computers, and we plan to upgrading them to window 10 pro by the end of 2020, just wonder is it recommended to in place upgrade to win 10 from win 7 directly ? in this way i do not need to re-format the...
  8. How to in place upgrade window 10 pro from window 7 pro

How to in place upgrade window 10 pro from window 7 pro: Dear All our company have around 120 window 7 pro computers, and we plan to upgrading them to window 10 pro by the end of 2020, just wonder is it recommended to in place upgrade to win 10 from win 7 directly ? in this way i do not need to re-format the...
  9. What You’ll Lose When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What You’ll Lose When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Today Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will launch on July 29, and in documentation detailing the upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.1 to the new OS version, the company provides us with info on the features that will be removed when you decide to take advantage of the free...
  10. What You’ll Love When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    What You’ll Love When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10: There's a thread in the News section called: What You’ll Lose When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 So to put the opposite side of the coin it would be nice to change one letter and find out: What You’ll Love When You Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 But...